Reflux - it's no joke, man

Diana M.
on 3/10/13 11:07 pm - TX
VSG on 07/12/12

There have been several posts lately about PPI's, so I thought I would share an experience that may put some things in perspective.

I've had acid reflux for years, and have been taking Prilosec since before it was OTC.  I'm "usually" pretty good about taking it, but sometimes, I would forget.  My stomach would let me know that I had forgotten by feeling like it was on fire about midway through the day.

After surgery, it got so much better - or so I thought.  I would periodically forget to take my medicine, but very seldom would my body protest.

About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that any time I ate or drank anything, I would get super sore in my upper abdomen, kind of like I had done wayyyy too many sit-ups.  And as I told my doctor, we all know that didn't happen.

Then about a week ago, it also started feeling like someone was choking me every time I would eat or drink, even jus****er.

Last Wednesday, I finally called my surgeon, who instructed me to go to the ER immediately.  I did, and he had me admitted within an hour.

An EGD and Upper GI series later, we discovered that I had developed major reflux.  Everything I eat or drink bounces up and down my throat like there is a trampoline hidden in there.  Consequently, my esophagus and stomach look like someone took a cheese grater to them.  Bad deal.

So after 4 days in the hospital, I'm back to a liquid diet for two weeks, and a stronger PPI in the hopes that they will both heal and I can proceed with my sleeved life.  If that doesn't work, I'm told that I will end up having to have a revision to a bypass.....really bad deal.

The moral to the story is - if your doctor has prescribed a PPI, TAKE IT.  The long term effects of not taking it are just too horrible to skip it.  If you feel like you still have reflux, or if things just aren't consistently settling right, call your doctor immediately.  There is treatment, but if you let it go too long, you could end up like me.  Bypass is my worst nightmare, since my father died from complications after having one....and now I may have to walk through that valley of shadows, thank goodness I will have the Lord with me.

For those concerned about the long term effects of taking a PPI, talk to your doctor.  My guess is that he/she can explain them a little further and give you pointers on how to minimize the risk.

Jackie T.
on 3/10/13 11:17 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I hope the new PPI works for you and you don't have to do the bypass.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

MuttLover
on 3/10/13 11:39 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I am so sorry!  I had a long talk with my GI doc and my surgeon pre-op, since I have had reflux for ages.  My docs both warned me that bypass is the recommended WLS for people with reflux, and that if my reflux worsened that the only recourse would be bypass.

Also, I never had "traditional" symptoms, but the damage was underway.  Every time I see a PPI topic, I try to post and remind people about how reflux and VSG. 

They indicated that even for people who continue to take their PPI, sometimes reflux worsens enough after VSG. 

Hopefully, the new PPI will take care of the problem and you won't need bypass!  Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

acbbrown
on 3/11/13 1:07 am - Granada Hills, CA

Im terrified of needing a revision to a bypass but after being on the max dose of my PPI for almost 2 years now and still suffering.....

Ive been to scared to schedule an upper GI because I dont wanna know what my esophagus looks like - might be time for me stop avoiding that!

Sorry you are dealing with this - at least (for me) the liquid diet helps and should give you some relief.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Diana M.
on 3/11/13 1:50 am - TX
VSG on 07/12/12

Please go ahead and schedule it.  Better to find out now, it's really a painful experience when even water makes you choke.  Bypass scares the hell out of me, too.....but it's better than dead.  

The liquid diet and plenty of pain killers are helping so far, but I'm not sure that it's a feasible option long term, so I'm hoping that the 2 weeks will let me heal, and then this will all be over.

Connie S.
on 3/11/13 2:02 am - CA
VSG on 03/04/13
Thank you for sharing this story. Untreated or under treated reflux is bad news! I have yet to hear of a PPI causing death, but I HAVE seen people nearly die from bleeding ulcers and one who did die when his esophageal ulcer eroded all the way through.
Glad you are getting treatment and hope your increased dose helps.
susan1277
on 3/11/13 2:48 am - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

Thank you for posting this!  I am still pre-op and found out I have severe acid reflux (up to my collarbones).   I met with my surgeon after I found this out to discuss my options.  He of course let me know that bypass would essentially "cure" it. I really, really don't want to have the bypass.  He told me there isn't any way to know how your reflux will be effected with the sleeve.  I called it a crap shoot and he didn't argue the term.  lol   He said worse case scenario is getting a revision to bypass.  He said the long term effects of a PPI are osteoporosis so to make sure I keep up on the calcium supplements.  He said during surgery he will check for a small hernia since one didn't show up on the upper GI and put in a small stitch to help prevent one in the future.  Good luck, I hope it gets better!!!!

Rny 6/10/13            Highest Weight 343           Surgery Weight 306

Most Active