Vomiting blood

foolishgrrl_1
on 3/11/13 9:42 pm
VSG on 03/11/13

Did anybody have this issue post op? Surgery was at noon, nausea ensued. Vomited  a tablespoon or two of blood, and have about 10 times since.  The nurse didn't seem too concerned and I had to argue to get them to call the doctor. I sent an email to doc this morning also.  I'm still in the hospital, this all started yesterday.

on the positive side, pain isn't bad and I'm on the loser's bench!

Lisa1023
on 3/11/13 10:08 pm
VSG on 03/05/13

they're the nurses and medical practitioners, not us.  Trust them.  If the bleeding is NOT getting more and more in volume, then dont worry.  Are you getting anti-nausea meds at this point?  Right now they should be controlling your nausea as best they can, I'm sure they are

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

MomofMarch
on 3/11/13 10:23 pm - GA

I vomited blood for the first day. Definitely ask for more nausea meds. I agree with the poster above, as long as you're not throwing up MORE blood, I think you'll be ok. It's pretty normal. They did go in there and cut on you, so your stomach is just getting rid of the nasty stuff left in there. Definitely let your doc know when they come to check up on you.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

The_Sheltonator
on 3/11/13 10:24 pm, edited 3/11/13 10:25 pm

Instead of telling you not to worry the nurse should explain to you why you are vomiting blood and if it is normal after a VSG. Part of care is making sure the patient understands whats going on.

Vomiting blood in general (I mean for non wls patients) is very serious and if you have already vomited 2 tablespoons 10 times that's 200mls of blood you've lost already.

I was hospitalised last month with gastritis (inflamed stomach lining, which was bleeding a lot). I had 3 transfusions and lots of meds to stop the bleeding (this was not wls related I'm pre op).

I think because of the procedure its likely that you have nothing to worry about but its always good to ask, I think you are doing the right thing speaking to the doctor if anything just to set your mind at rest that its a normal side affect. 

You're your own advocate so always always ask if there is something you are concerned about and keep asking until you understand, because once you're at home you need to know what's normal and what's not.

Deckeriv
on 3/11/13 11:11 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

The suture line is oozing since they gave you heparin and rather than go down your intestines, it's choosing to come up the other way. If the nurses aren't concerned, then they've seen it before. I'm pretty sure they noted it in your chart but be sure to tell the doctor.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Nanato2
on 3/11/13 11:34 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

HI after my surgery I had dry heaves and I vomited blood also from heaving so much my incision started to bleed. Ask for some anti nausea drugs it helps to stop vomiting. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Keith L.
on 3/11/13 11:56 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Yep, fairly common. I vomited blood twice. It scared the hell out of me and I was prepared for it.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

KELLY H.
on 3/12/13 12:35 am - Greenbrier, TN
VSG on 12/26/12

Is it red or black? I vomited a ton of blood but it was all black and goopy so it wasn't active bleeding. If it's bright red then I would definitely make sure to let them know you aren't comfortable with it. Feel better soon!

foolishgrrl_1
on 3/12/13 4:42 am, edited 3/12/13 5:14 am
VSG on 03/11/13

Thanks for all the feedback.  I wasn't prepared for the bloody vomit.  The nurse was not very reassuring and made no attempt. It was dark at first and the got brighter and thinner.  My doctor responded to my email this morning and went over  everything. It was handled poorly.  From what I was told from the charge nurse, this wasn't the first time.  All is better now, I finally stopped vomiting. kiss

Tenacious88
on 3/12/13 9:11 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi: Question:  Did you see blood when you did number two ?

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

Most Active