Restriction

jpsp30
on 3/14/13 1:48 pm - TN

If I could recognize what "full" is; I'd have possible never gotten fat. The truth is that I have overeaten my stomach for almost 50 years. Now, I am going to have a surgery that makes my stomach smaller and will "restrict" me. How will I recognize this restriction? I mean; If I cannot recognize full now; how will I recognize it after surgery? I want to "undereat" my sleeve. But, I have never been able to undereat anything! How can I do this after surgery?

Jeff - Located in East Tennessee; Surgery by Dr. Mark Colquitt on 4/12/2013

Highest Weight- 511; Initial Consultation Weight - 474; Surgery Weight 450    

starry957
on 3/14/13 1:55 pm

Well, I am no expert - being only 9 weeks out.  But, I ALWAYS measure my food - your post op plan will give you guidelines.  I, often, can't eat everything I've prepared for a meal, but sometimes I do - which is why I always measure (ie 1/4 cups, ounces, etc).  I have had a bit much only a couple of times, by accident really - was able to eat too quickly that day and then SUDDENLY was too full.  It still is amazing to feel hungry and then to be "satisfied" so quickly.  The "full" feeling I get is almost the same as the full feeling I got before surgery, except it is accompanied by some indigestion - if I've overdone it, which isn't often.  I know that if I'm even starting to have a bit of indigestion - I'm probably done.

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

jpsp30
on 3/14/13 10:40 pm - TN

I think measuring is a good idea. It is not something that I do now of course; but I will have to. Thanks for addressing this wiht me.

Julie J.
on 3/14/13 2:02 pm - NV

I asked my surgeon this exact question and he said to under eat the sleeve. That I should only eat to 80% full and not till I am stuffed. Guess I will have to see what that feels like once I get my sleeve.

jpsp30
on 3/14/13 10:42 pm - TN

To me that is a fear; how will I magically know/recognize restriction? Will I magically be able to eat with my limits? That hasn't worked for 51 years! So, it looks like many folks here are recommending that we measure our food. I will do that and hope that it works for me too.

Amanda F.
on 3/14/13 2:16 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

The signal seems to be different for everybody. For me, I know when I've reached my limit when I get a single hiccup. But you are supposed to stop eating before you get the signal. So to solve this problem, I measure all of my food. I am 2 months out and I never eat more than 1/2 cup of food in total at a single meal. Many times I don't even finish that.

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

jpsp30
on 3/14/13 10:45 pm - TN

Thanks for answering this. Measuring seems to be the consistent advice that I am getting. But, I hope that there is something tangible like a hiccup, fart, or a light coming out of the sky to help me recognize my limit!

Diana M.
on 3/14/13 2:38 pm - TX
VSG on 07/12/12

Measure measure measure.....that's the best way to know when you've eaten enough.  For me....if I go one or two bites past that, there's no pain, there's no foamies, there's just all of it coming right back up.  Not fun, and definitely not something you want to make a habit out of.

jpsp30
on 3/14/13 10:46 pm - TN

Yeah, I'd rather measure than throw up for sure!!!

Cindy B.
on 3/14/13 2:41 pm
VSG on 10/22/12

The key for me has already been mentioned, but I think it's important enough to say it again. Always measure your food. I have some little bowls and I know exactly how much food to put in it. I rarely eat enough to feel full, and when I do I don't like it so I avoid that feeling. I also get a hiccup, but that usually hits before I'm actually full, just when I've had enough. It tells me, "not one more bite or you'll regret it!" ;) And for me all it took was one time to eat too fast and a little too much to learn never to do that again. Getting what is affectionately called on here "the foamies" is something I hope to never get again. It was like a panic attack, nausea and stomach pain all rolled into one awful little package that ended with throwing up.  I think it's just something we learn how to recognize.

Most Active