Clear Protein

Christine M.
on 3/18/13 11:03 pm
VSG on 04/10/13

So my surgery is scheduled for April 10th and I am gathering all the things I need. I am having a big problem with clear protein. I've tried just about everything I can get my hands on and can't swallow it without gagging. Is there any secret out there to making the clear protein more tolerable? I put some in water and tried putting some MIO in, but dayum, that stuff is just nasty.  I know this is important and I want to figure out a way to make it work.  I'm hoping somebody out there has some tips for me!

Jackie T.
on 3/18/13 11:17 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Not sure what you have tried but I use unjury unflavored and also unjury strawberry sorbet with a packet of lemon crystal light.  I do better eating some kind of dense protein in the morning and then having a protein drink as a snack.  (It is kind of sweet)  Try putting your protein drink in a cup with a lid so that you do not smell it.  I also like mine super cold.  Actually I don't like it, I just tolerate it better.  Also Unjury has a chicken broth that is not bad, just don't get it too hot or it will clump.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

vogue
on 3/18/13 11:28 pm
VSG on 08/30/12

I take the 20 oz Isopure clear carb free stuff...  dilute by 50% and add in about 1/3 pk of crystal lite portable powder mix( usually lemonade flavor ...  shake & drink while its very cold

dot4you
on 3/19/13 1:30 am - CA

Hi Christine,

Does it have to be clear protein? Just liquid right?  I LOVE Syntha-6  Chocolate milkshake (comes in Vanilla or strawberry) (Red container) mix with water for thinner or soy/reg. milk for thicker or blend w/ice also mix w/coffee or drink like hot choclate... THIS STUFF IS GOOD!!!! The taste is great. look at the reviews on Amazon. I found it at Vitiam Shop.

22g of protein in one scoop. total carbs 15g. full of vitiams.

I hate liquid protein and this is the only one I can drink. Love it.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!! Wish you the best!!

MuttLover
on 3/19/13 1:32 am
VSG on 11/14/12

How long do you have to be on clear liquids?  I only had to be on clears for two days after I was released from the hospital, so I just focused on staying hydrated and ignored protein for both days. On day three, I moved to full liquids and had no problem with shakes.

My discharge info indicated I should focus on hydration above all else, so I decided to take that literally!  Now if you have to be on clears for a week, that's another story -- go for diluting the stuff until you can stand it!

Best of luck!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

swizzlequeen
on 3/19/13 1:37 am

you could try making sugarfree jello with the unflavored protein powder (for example, Unjury has one) -- just put in the powder after you put in the cold water when you make the jello, or wait until the really ho****er cools down, otherwise if you put in the protien with very very ho****er, the protein will clump into hard-to-dissolve clumps, which are hard to swallow. You could also try this with flavored protein powder -- be creative!

Probably my favorite of the clear proteins are the Nectars by Syntrax -- I have Fuzzy Navel, Carribean Cooler, and my favoritie is Lemon Iced Tea! -- these flavors are more like a fruit juice and not milky...

Christine M.
on 3/22/13 1:22 am
VSG on 04/10/13

Clear liquids should only be 4 days after I get home from the hospital.  I am going to do my best and try to swallow what I can.  I've tried to "doll it up" in lots of different ways, but there is still that "taste".  Good part is that its only for a few days.  I'm sure I'll survive.

Most Active