Feeling discouraged 7 weeks

hope2013
on 3/21/13 6:31 am - Philadelphia, PA
I am not sure if I'm on track or NOT but I've only lost 33lbs in 7 weeks. I keep reading on here that people have lost 40 plus some higher at this stage. I am tracking & staying below 600 calories. I eat no carbs...

Feeling discouraged here!
JenniferRN
on 3/21/13 6:42 am - NJ
VSG on 01/22/13 with

33 lbs is amazing!  When is the last time you lost 33 lbs in 7 weeks? Besides the loss, you are healthier!  you are making amazing progress. Are you exercising and drinking your water?  I feel as though my best weeks are the ones where I not only ate according to plan but exercised and drank my water. Keep up the good work!

Jen

hope2013
on 3/21/13 6:56 am - Philadelphia, PA
I'm struggling w fluids...and no exercising. I had a rough recovery so tomorrow I am hoping to get clearance to start working out. Fingers crossed.
shrinking_sarah
on 3/21/13 6:43 am - CA

33 in 7 weeks is pretty good.  I will be at 12 weeks tomorrow and am down about 45 from my surgery date.  I am not as far as I'd like to be, but I'm working on it.

Here are some suggestions I got from my support group last night (and from my surgeon) that may help me increase my rate of weight loss.  Of course adapt them as you need to for where you are in recovery and to fit your specific plan/needs:

1.  Try for 100 oz water/non-caloric, non-caffeinated fluids per day.  This will be a challenge to me but I'm trying.

2.  Increase protein to 110g/day.  I have been getting more like 85, but I am going to try.

3.  Keep carbs at or below 20.  This is total carbs, not "net" carbs.  I don't see how you can be getting no carbs--my protein drinks even have a few.  Count carbs in things like vitamins and calcium supplements as well.

4.  Hit the gym and work hard.  You should be sore the next day.  Incorporate strength training to build muscle mass/prevent loss.

5.  Plan your day the night before.  My schedule is different every day, but I do know what I'm doing the night before.  I am going to try to plan out my entire food and water day, including when I am eating/drinking, the night before.  I will set reminders in my phone to eat if needed (sometimes I get busy and look up and it's 2 and I haven't eaten lunch).  I will set reminders to drink in my phone if needed.

The best advice I have is to focus on what you can control.  You can control what you eat, what you drink, and how much you move.  You can't control the scale (dammit).  Tie your "rewards" to the things you can control.  Even though you'd like to sma**** some days, let the scale do what it does.  Eventually, it will go down.

(This is not to say I am not and did not feel discouraged.  I did.  But focusing on what i can control makes me feel more powerful, which is less discouraging.)

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

hope2013
on 3/21/13 6:58 am - Philadelphia, PA
Wow! Thank you for all the tips. I don't know anyone that has had this surgery so it's hard to compare. But ill incorporate all your tips! Best wishes to you as well & thanks again!
Keith L.
on 3/21/13 6:43 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

ONLY 33lbs? I don't think that is anything to be discouraged about. The trap is that you are comparing yourself to everyone on here. Everyone is different. It sounds to me like you are on track and doing very well. If you are sticking to your plan, getting your water in, and getting some exercise then you are doing perfect. The no carbs might not be great, but certainly staying below 20 is fine.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

hope2013
on 3/21/13 6:59 am - Philadelphia, PA
You are right! I need to stop comparing!! But I'm anxious too! Thanks!
Lisa1023
on 3/21/13 7:04 am
VSG on 03/05/13

Hope, are you comparing yourself (possibly a low 200's in weight) to a person's loss who started in the high 300's ? There are many factors to factor in when comparing losses.   No one loses the same.   how much of a percentage is that 33 pounds as far as your excess body weight?    things to think about

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

zra
on 3/21/13 7:26 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

I'm six weeks out and down 29 pounds since surgery. It's really hard seeing people lose faster, but your body is going to do what it's going to do. Keep focusing on protein ad fluids and add exercise when you can. Good luck!

HW: 363  SW: 340  

Crabadams72
on 3/21/13 8:17 am - Silver Spring, MD
What was your starting weight?
Averages vary based on starting weight and gender.
I was impatient like you and still got to goal in 8 months.

Relax and stop saying "I only lost". Each pound is a major accomplishment.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Most Active