Help Please! Third Week Post-Op and Really Struggling

JenJenn
on 3/25/13 1:01 pm - Las Vegas, NV

Hi everyone.  I just started my third week post-sleeve and I am really struggling.  I lost 15 pounds the first week and started reaching my liquid and protein goals.

Then, the last 3-4 days I have really been struggling with drinking enough liquids and I am getting so tired of the liquid proteins that I am reverting back to not meeting my goals.  Despite the constant brushing of my teeth and mouthwash, I cannot seem to get the whey isolate taste out of my mouth.  I nearly gag trying to drink any type of liquid protein.  Luckily, I haven't thrown up yet, but I feel I am getting close.

I have always been a finicky eater, and will gag/throw up if I try to force myself to eat things that are not semi-palatable to me.  I am so bored with the protein shakes, soup stock and hot chocolate or tea.  I have tried adding whey isolate to applesauce and other tricks, but again, the whey isolate taste starts to make me gag. I have tried both lactose-free and regular protein shakes, and they are nearly equally unappealing to me.

Then to top it off, I only lost 2 pounds my second week.  I suppose part of it is my body readjusting and part of it is me not meeting my liquid and protein goals.  But it is so incredibly disappointing to know that all of my suffering with the liquid protein and my dedication to exercising almost every single day is not really paying off.

I was advised that even when I transition to soft foods, I am expected to drink one protein shake a day.  Will it be easier for me to stomach the protein shake when I can have other things?  I cannot imagine drinking these the rest of my life the way I am feeling right now.

I would appreciate any words of encouragement and/or any suggestions on how to make it through the liquids phase. I am really struggling and borderline depressed.

Thank you OH Family,

-Jen

-Jen

jackier77
on 3/25/13 1:07 pm - CA

I wish I knew the answer.  I had surgery on 2/11 and was doing so well, losing weight and handling the protein.  When I returned to week a week ago, it all went to hell.  I am not losing, can't get in the protein, so I am losing weight but no pounds.

JenJenn
on 3/26/13 12:38 pm - Las Vegas, NV

I started working the 2nd week after my surgery. For me too, it has really hampered my efforts to reach my goals for liquids and protein.

Thanks for responding. Good luck to you too.

HilaryH8103
on 3/25/13 1:34 pm - WA
Try the Premier Protein drinks from Costco, the chocolate kind. They taste just like chocolate milk- I promise.. I tried at least 10 different protein drinks until I found the Premier Protein. It is heaven sent. Do you use Crystal Light in your water? You could try some different flavors. Also the Unjury Chicken Flavor protein powder is really good. It was about the only thing I could get down for the first 2 weeks along with my protein shakes.

Have you had any of the sugar free Popsicles or what about making some sugar free banana Jello? The banana kind tastes great.

No matter what, you've got to get your liquids down one way or another. You can do this. You have to!!!

Good Luck & Best Wishes,
XO,
Hilary
fat2fit2012
on 3/25/13 2:57 pm - FL
VSG on 03/05/13

I agree with Hilary.  The Premier Protein is the only ones I use.  I like the chocolate the best.  I had to send back all my Unjury because he smell and taste made me gag.  

~Fat2Fit2012                    

Pre-Op Weight- 234 | Surgery Weight- 222.2 | Current Weight- 175.5 | Goal Weight- 130

JenJenn
on 3/26/13 1:09 pm - Las Vegas, NV

Thanks for your reply.  I honestly had never heard of the Premier Protein items. I am going to research this since there is overwhelming concensus that they are good!

-Jen

jpsp30
on 3/25/13 9:41 pm - TN

Hilary,

Are you talking about these shakes: Premier Protein ?

Jeff

Jeff - Located in East Tennessee; Surgery by Dr. Mark Colquitt on 4/12/2013

Highest Weight- 511; Initial Consultation Weight - 474; Surgery Weight 450    

HilaryH8103
on 3/25/13 9:58 pm - WA
Yes Jeff, they are by far the best protein shakes I have ever had. I look forward to drinking them. Chocolate is my favorite, I didn't like tha vanilla at all & I still need to try the Strawberry ones..
JenJenn
on 3/26/13 12:41 pm - Las Vegas, NV

Hilary:  Thank you so much for the suggestions.  I have tried many protein shakes but not the Premier Protein.  I will definitely try it.  I will also try teh Unjury Chicken Flavor protein powder.

I do have Crystal Light, but I find adding those types of flavors makes everything too sweet for me.  I haven't tried sugar free popsicles, but I think I'm to the point where I could try frozen things.  Earlier, I couldn't do it because of the stomach muscle spasms. 

Thank you so so much for the encouragement.  I am going to try try try!

XO

-Jen

shaci
on 3/25/13 5:16 pm - Salem, MA
VSG on 07/23/12

hi, i wish i had a good answer for you! it does get better when you start eating real foods again!  soon it will be just a memory and you'll be so glad you made it thru!

Most Active