GOAL! Under 14 Months from 390 to 143 pounds!

pinkjellybean
on 3/31/13 11:57 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

I have held onto my thoughts about reaching goal for some time now......

It happened several weeks ago.  I stepped on the scale and it said that I weighed 149 pounds.  My own personal goal was 150 but my WLS Centre's goal was for me to be around 190....I decided to just happily enjoy my success in solitary fashion for a few weeks and in that time I have dropped from 150 to 143 pounds.  I am ready to tackle maintenance as I am nearly 5'9 tall....I think this is a good weight to stay around given the fact I have probably 10 pounds of excess skin.

I hit my goal in under 14 months from start to finish.

I am astonished at my capacity to get this done.  The last 20 pounds were the hardest and took the most focus and determination but truthfully everything after the 6 month post-op mark took diligence, focus, ambition, and a real bull-headed mentality.  I had to adapt a no-excuses policy with myself.  I had to stop myself from rationalizing that I was much thinner and could therefore have this or that....I just had to set up boundaries with myself and remind myself of the morbidly obese place that I came from and how easily that slippery slope back to 390 pounds can be.

I don't have a ton of advice to offer.  There is no magic to what I did....you can do it to but you have to want to do it.  I have said it before and I will say it again - post VSG diets are pretty straight forward as far as what is successful.  This journey is 90% psychological and 10% food.  I did the common 600-800 calories, under 40 grams (but usually closer to 20 grams) of carbohydrates, over 80 grams of protein, and tons of water. 

I made mistakes like everyone else.  It was not a perfect 14 months....allowing myself to learn from the mistakes is what truly helped me understand the scope of the problem. 

I am currently trying to sort out my identity and build my self-esteem in my new leaner body.  I am and will continue to be a work in progress.  I am gentle with myself and finding my place in a world where people are kinder towards thin people.  The whole thing is a bit of a mind game really. 

If you could take anything from my experience with the VSG surgery (remembering that I was supposed to have an RNY but complications prevented that)....is that no matter the cir****tances that try to derail you...you CAN and will be SUCCESSFUL but only YOU get to make that happen....you are ACCOUNTABLE to everything you put in your mouth and you are RESPONSIBLE for every decision and choice you  make regarding your health.  You are in the drivers seat.  I wish you all the best success as you journey through this VSG process and leave you with a few pics of my transformation!

BEFORE.....390 Pounds Plus.....

At GOAL.....Hubby surprised me with Roses (LOVE him)

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

MomofMarch
on 4/1/13 12:01 am - GA

Congratulations! You've done a wonderful job. This post was very well written. You look fabulous and I wish you all of the success in the world with maintenance!

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Machelle.K
on 4/1/13 12:02 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

Thanks you for sharing! You look AWESOME!

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

acbbrown
on 4/1/13 12:03 am - Granada Hills, CA

i wish "congrats" was enough but girl - you killed it :)  Your commitment and hard work is just astounding and im so proud of you and soooo happy to see this :)

I have no doubts you will be able to sort out and navigate the maintenance water successfully - just be sure to enjoy the process. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Edelge
on 4/1/13 12:12 am
VSG on 04/02/13

Amazing, awesome, phenomenal!  Way to go doesn't begin to cover it.  Your success is inspiring and motivating. 

macshellabell
on 4/1/13 12:15 am

WOW Congrats!!!!!  You are truly an inspiration :)  You look amazing. angry

VerucaSallt
on 4/1/13 12:19 am - NJ
VSG on 10/11/12 with

COngratulations!  That is a FANTASTIC success!  You must be so proud... I'm proud of you!

oakcliffsleever
on 4/1/13 12:34 am - Dallas, TX

Congratulations!  You look great and are truly inspiring!

Cuter_w_Curves
on 4/1/13 12:41 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Congrats! I am so happy for you!!!

You look fabulous BTW!

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

mildollarsmile
on 4/1/13 12:50 am - SE, TX
VSG on 03/11/13

You have done amazing!! And are one of my inspirations!!! You look fantastic!! Congratulations on reaching goal. I can't wait till I can say the same. I am only about 4 weeks post op and struggling with eating...it is def a mind thing...Good luck in your maintenance stage, I know you will do well!! hugs!!

Mel

Melanie -- HW:320 SW:300 CW:277.2 GW:150 

Most Active