Do I suck at running??

mnmommaof2
on 4/2/13 12:49 am
VSG on 11/23/12

So I started a couch to 5k program and tomorrow will be doing week 5 workout 1. I have been running away on the treadmill and feeling pretty good about myself... This week I discovered I can run for 5 mins straight and not die during the process.

Then.... yesterday I did the c25k program in the morning and in the evening my 7yr old wanted to try running with me. So we grabbed our sneakers and went outside for a jog around the block. A few observations: When running on a treadmill, I feel light, bouncy and capable of anything. On concrete, I feel like a 196lb overweight fat lady who never in her right mind should be running. I felt every extra pound on my body and barely made it around the block. We're talking maybe two mins of running. I was dying! It didn't help that it's pretty cold out still and my lungs felt like they were being stabbed by frigid air. It was bad. I felt like I should have been able to kick that blocks butt, but I failed. So the question is.... shouldn't I be able to do this by now?? Is outside running really that much different than the treadmill?? How do you run without the cold air killing your lungs?-- I tried breathing through my nose and it still burned.

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

MuttLover
on 4/2/13 12:56 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Outside running on concrete is much harder on your joints than a treadmill, which is bouncy and has no incline -- unless you program one in.

Perhaps try the running/walking interval approach to get more accustomed to the outdoors.  If you have a history of joint-related problems, I suggest talking to your doc about running outside and how to build up to that.

http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ht/runwalk.htm

Glad you've found an exercise you enjoy (at least on the treadmill!)

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Keith L.
on 4/2/13 12:58 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

HUUUUUGGGGGEEEE difference running on a treadmill versus the road. I started on the treadmill and switched to outside (mostly because thats where you run 5Ks) but found that I burned so much better. I am starting week 5 tomorrow so I know exactly where you are at, but you are right the road is much worse. I only use the treadmill for a warm up before a work out and when I do inclined walking. C25k is all outside. Gravity is a ***** I would recommend switching your C25k to outside and maybe re-do week 4. I had to do week 3 twice because I couldn't get past the 3 minutes, once I did no problem. Also running outside it is very important to have the right kind of running shoes. I went to a place called Runner's Depot (might be a local store but there are other like it all over the place) where they watched the way I walked and recommended a specific shoe that would work with

mnmommaof2
on 4/2/13 1:12 am
VSG on 11/23/12

I signed up for my first 5k (Challenge Obesity) April 21st.  I really was hoping to run a little, walk a little but after my adventure outdoors last night I am seriously doubting myself.  I know I can still walk it... it was just such a huge shock that running outside was so much harder.  I was fitted for shoes at a running store before I started the program-- and I'm seriously considering re-doing the whole program outside.  (where people can see me!  EEK!)  Maybe tomorrow I will back up to week four-- maybe even three and see how I do.  Thanks for your input!

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

Keith L.
on 4/2/13 2:35 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I don't think you need to back up that far, I think you just need to realize your legs will get fatigued more quickly on the road than on the TM.  You just need to power through it. Play a little game with yourself and focus on the song and listen for the walk prompt when you are running. Also when you do run on the treadmill make sure to put your incline up to at least 2 otherwise the belt is just moving your feet for you.

DO NOT DOUBT YOURSELF! you got this far, just need a little correction. I think you can still get through your first 5K on April 21. You will want to use a run/walk strategy. My plan for my first 5K is to Run 5 walk 2 min. My friend who is a marathon runner uses a similar strategy to get through her marathons.

One thing I did to help with the bounciness of my flab was got a waist binder which helps a lot, lets you focus on the running not all the **** bouncing around which you feel much more on the road than on the TM.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

mnmommaof2
on 4/2/13 2:49 am
VSG on 11/23/12

Good advice, Kieth.  I'll drop back to week four and try to power thru, and add a neck gator to warm the air.  Treadmill, I'll up the incline... totally makes sense. 

I actually laughed out loud when I read the part about "parts bouncing".  So true!  I never knew my ass could shake like that till I ran outside!

Thank you for your advice and encouragement.  :)

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

Keith L.
on 4/2/13 5:36 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You are welcome.

It helps to bind it up. I wear compression shorts and a waist binder and keeping the skin in check keeps your mind off of it, plus you sweat a little more. Otherwise it hurts. The road is a lot less forgiving than the treadmill.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

acbbrown
on 4/2/13 1:15 am - Granada Hills, CA

TM running and street running might as well be two different sports all together. I was SHOCKED after running only on the TM (and running 4 miles) and then going outside and couldn't make it 1/2 mile. It was depressing.

THe good news is - you have the fitness, and the strength, you just have to adapt now If you ultimately want to be running 5Ks or whatever, you should switch to running outside.

Ive decided that I hate dealing with weather conditions, the pain from the concrete, etc....I should just be a treadmill runner. And I totally would if it didnt bore me to death.

IF you have to do your runs inside, increase the incline to make it a little more challenging and realistic. I also find it helpful to do more speed intervals on the TM since it keeps me from going out of my mind. I can't just set the speed and run for a while.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jls8877
on 4/2/13 2:16 am
I started walking my neighborhood and then would try running a street here and there. Before long, I could run a few streets in a row. I started to add running in January. This week I ran 5.5mi. It gets so much easier after the first few weeks. You can do it!!!!
I live in the Midwest an it has been a very cold winter. You will adjust to the weather. Wear a hat and light gloves/layer clothing.
The scale isn't moving much for me but my body is changing all b/c of the running. When I complete my workout, I feel amazing!
mnmommaof2
on 4/2/13 2:39 am
VSG on 11/23/12

The last five weeks or so I have noticed the scale has definitely slowed down, but I am so much stronger then when I started!  I just had a friend point out that I coughed for almost an hour after I got inside.  I think all the cold air + exertion aggravated my lungs and caused an asthma flare up.  I'm not giving up just yet.  I'll try an scarf wrap to warm the air a little.

I am trying to remember that instant gratification does not apply to beginning running.  It's a process and I know I'll get there if I just keep trying.  Thank you all for your encouragement.

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

Most Active