Question about Quinoa

Calking
on 4/2/13 4:19 am
VSG on 05/31/12

It has been put in my mind to stay away from carbs like pastas, rices, and breads.  Quinoa looks like it would be basically a rice.  I also point out that I am in maintenance and actually trying to gain a little weight back.  I know that this is a weird thing to want and an idea that is extremely foreign to me and most of us.  

Is it something that is OK?  How OK is it?  I mean if I were to start eating it should it be something once a month and only in very small amounts.  Or is it something that can be more frequent?  I really have no ideas on whether or not this is something that should be avoided all together or not.  I know that it has a lot of protein.  It appears to be better than rice would be.  Just very unfamiliar with it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Dev *.
on 4/2/13 4:33 am - Austin, TX

I can't say how often or how much you should eat of it, for that you should really consult a nutritionist. Quinoa is a very good grain choice though; as you said it is high in protein. It's not actually a true cereal grain, it's more closely related to beets, spinach and tumbleweeds. Just do yourself a favor and be sure to get pre-rinsed quinoa, rinsing it yourself is a lot of work.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

MuttLover
on 4/2/13 5:01 am
VSG on 11/14/12

It has a lot of protein for what is basically a carb.  It's a tasty, chewy little treat. Definitely get prewashed and read up on quinoa -- as there is some toxicity I think if you don't get the prewashed and don't get it washed really well.  But I think most of what is available now is prewashed.

It's very easy to make and a nice alternative to rice - -but very small -- so I find it is served better as a side dish with some veggies in it -- not with anything too saucy over it.

But the best way to see if you like it is to try it.  Google some recipes and go from there.  Or go to a vegetarian/vegan restaurant to try it out.  Then you can be sure it is well prepared!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

emelar
on 4/2/13 5:04 am - TX

Quinoa has great nutritional stats.  More like millet seed than rice in appearance, and has a distinct smell and taste.  If I feel the need for something other than meat/dairy/veggies, quinoa is my go-to.  You just fit it into your eating plan as far as calories and carbs (if you're limiting carbs) are concerned.

hollykim
on 4/2/13 8:00 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Quinoa,(pronounced keen-wa) is actually a seed. it does have a lot of protein and quite a few of the carbs  are fiber. it would be WAY more healthy than rice which has really little nutritional value.

I have used quinoa for anything I would use rice /pasta for when cooking for DH who eats grain free.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/2/13 8:08 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I love quinoa.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Calking
on 4/2/13 9:24 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Thank you everyone for your responses.  You pretty much confirmed my thoughts on it.   It seems like something to have if you are craving rice.  It seems to be similar in texture.  I saw some organic quinoa at Trader Joe's but it didn't indicate on the package whether or not it was pre-washed.  Almost bought it but decided to wait and learn a little more about it before buying something that might pack on some carbs accidently.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

jarabacoagirl
on 4/3/13 12:35 am
VSG on 12/17/12

My NUT even recommended it during weight loss.  Not just a maintenance thing.   It's a good and healthy carb.  (unlike candy or ice cream.)  It's 100% whole grain and truly 100%.  Some things say they are whole grain but they are not 100% if you actually look close at the ingredients.  I personally only have had quinoa when (pre-op) when someone else cooked it.  I wasn't interested in the work involved.  But glad to hear they have pre-rinsed quinoa now.  That I didn't know. 

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

Most Active