What do I/we choose?

rbrown116
on 4/3/13 8:40 am - IA
VSG on 08/08/13

I've submitted all of my info to insurance for the VSG. My boyfriend had his first doctor appointment today for his 6 months of weigh-ins, and she recommended  that he has gastric bypass. I know both surgeries are serious, but I feel like that RNY is even scarier!! Here are a few concerns/questions I have: 

1. He says he wants to do it because he will lose more weight with RNY - umm, from what I've read they're about the same in the long run. Is this not the case? And if you really do lose more weight, shouldn't I do that? 

2. His doctor said that men typically handle RNY better than girls do - I got nothing for this. 

3. Doctor also told him not to have protein shakes because they're high in sugar. - I understand that yes, some of them have more sugar than others. However, why are we all pretty much having them if they are so bad for us? 

Help.. anyone?? 

HW: 330lbs, SW: 307.2, GW: 140lbs
Surgery: VSG  Date: August 8th, 2013
Month 1-25.6, Month 2-13.8

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

hollirrose
on 4/3/13 9:10 am
VSG on 04/21/12
I dont know what decision he should make... But vsg was right for me. I have lost 200 lbs in 11 months. I didnt do anything special...just followed my plan 99% of the time. I drink a shake most days. No sugar or at least real sugar. That is weird that he would say that. For months I had to drink protein shakes to meet the 60 grams I had to make every day. I couldnt have got here without them. Best of luck with your choice!
emelar
on 4/3/13 9:11 am - TX

1. He says he wants to do it because he will lose more weight with RNY - umm, from what I've read they're about the same in the long run. Is this not the case? And if you really do lose more weight, shouldn't I do that? 

Men tend to lose faster naturally, whatever the procedure.  And yes, long-term results RNY versus sleeve are about the same.  You'll lose faster with the RNY at the beginning because of the malabsorption, but the malabsorption goes away after 18-24 months.  So, at the end of the day, you're living with restriction on both procedures.  Rather than concentrating on total weight loss, ask yourself whether you want re-routing of your intestines, whether you want a stoma (opening in your stomach) or your pyloric valve, whether you want to give up NSAIDs, etc.

2. His doctor said that men typically handle RNY better than girls do - I got nothing for this. 

I got nothing for this either, other than questioning the doc on what he means by it!

3. Doctor also told him not to have protein shakes because they're high in sugar. - I understand that yes, some of them have more sugar than others. However, why are we all pretty much having them if they are so bad for us?

Protein shakes use artificial sweeteners.  There may be some out there that have sugar, but none of the ones I've used or heard people mention do.  Again, I'd ask the doc what he's looking at and then look at the nutritional labels on the protein drinks you're interested in.  They do vary!

Most Active