Gastric Sleeve Surgery in 2 Weeks

Gingerly
on 4/9/13 4:31 am - Brookline, MA

Hi,

Hi OHers,

I'm new to the forum - I'm a 34 yr. old woman and have been struggling with my weight since age 11.

I found out last week that my gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for April 23rd. My surgery's being performed by the head of Bariatric Surgery at Brigham & Women's (MA), so I couldn't feel like I'm in better hands.

Yesterday I started my 2 week pre-op diet.  I have steadily regained 80lbs since last Apri,l after losing 70lbs. the previous year following the South Beach Diet. I made numerous attempts over the last year to stop gaining weight without having to cut out carbs again, but with no success. I was still gaining weight as of yesterday morning, so I'm a little nervous/anxious about whether or not I'll be able to take off  5-10 lbs before the 23rd.

If there's anyone on the message boards who would like to tell me or point me to some advice for pre-op or early post op, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm elated to be having the surgery and am so excited that I'm beginning a new chapter in my life.

Thank you in advance!

melly37
on 4/9/13 5:09 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12

Awesome news! Congrats! 

The bad news?  You will still MOST LIKELY need to follow a low-carb diet once you are sleeved.  For MOST of us, that is the only way to lose weight.  The sleeve helps us to keep our portions down and to not be so hungry, but it's only a tool.  What we put in our mouth is important and totally up to us. 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Gingerly
on 4/9/13 5:32 am - Brookline, MA

Thanks! I'm very aware that WLS is a tool, but none of the dieticians/nutritionists I've met regarding the surgery have specifically mentioned "low-carb" post-op.

My reg. way of eating is still fairly low-carb minded, but inclusive of "good starches", like roasted sweet potatoes or squash, and fruit. As much as I'd love to eat pastries and sugary items on a daily basis, I've become very mindful of avoiding those kinds of foods. I cook most of my meals and focus on "whole foods"/minimal natural or artificial sugars. I hope that's as low-carb as I need to get! ;)

kellied77
on 4/9/13 5:27 am

I too am having surgery in two weeks.  I am 35.  Good job losing 70 lbs without WLS.  That is very tough.

Yes we have to go on low carb, but i think what helps so much is feeling full after eating the protein.  Not wanting to eat carbs.  You didn it with a reg stomach, you'll do great!

"The things we fear are undefeatable, not by their nature, but by our approach"

VSG on April 24, 2013 / 36 years old, 5' 7"  M1:28 M2:11 M3:14 M4:6

Gingerly
on 4/9/13 5:34 am - Brookline, MA

Congrats to you too, kellied77! Good luck with your surgery and thank you! :)

Most Active