Day 2 Post-op: Going Home

Gingerly
on 4/25/13 2:17 am - Brookline, MA
So, last night I couldn't urinate after having the catheter from surgery removed. That, along with my IV arm swelling up from the fluids, has been my only complication. Not a whole lot of fun getting a catheter put in while awake, but it was doable.

This morning I had my first post-op Protein shake - officially in stage two now. I've been detached from all the ivs, tubes, and the drain was pulled out (again - ouch!- but easily manageable). Just waiting for my second shake/"lunch" to arrive and for the paperwork to be finalized and I'm out!

I used the spirometer yesterday for a little bit, walked around a lot yesterday and today... Have had no issues sipping water, no bad gas to "work up", and I feel fine without using the pain meds. I have to say, after reading some stories on OH about how it feels directly after surgery, I expected much worse.

I have to say that for me, I shouldn't have worried about the surgery and how I'd feel in the hospital. I did wake up from surgery in a lot of pain, but everything's been great since then. Dr Shikora and his team are amazing and very caring. My surgeon and others on his team separately told me I had a perfect/textbook surgery - one of the best they've ever seen. I think that has a lot to do with how good I feel recovering.

jenn227
on 4/25/13 3:56 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Hooray!  So glad it went so well!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/13 4:26 am

Happy to hear your surgery and recovery went so well. Woohoo!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views