My mirror must be lying to me

Jarisaunt
on 4/29/13 9:51 am - CA
VSG on 08/21/12

I don't know if you've experienced this, and it may sound like I'm *****ing about nothing, but I am sometimes disturbed by what I see in the mirror. I don't recognize myself anymore, and it is unsettling. I was a fat girl all my life, and now I am no longer obese. The visual impact of that is unexpectedly striking.

People tell me how I should be so happy I've lost this much weight (112 pounds in 8.5 months), and I am, but it bothers me sometimes to look in the mirror and see this person who is no longer fat-- I don't recognize myself. My clothes look too small before I put them on, my feet are smaller, my face is different...there is no other way to describe it except that it is vaguely disturbing.

I didn't expect to be emotionally affected in this way by my weight loss. Anyone else dealing with this?

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

Minemake14
on 4/29/13 10:34 am

I totally get what you are saying. I feel the same way many days. At this point I have lost around 50 pounds and I am really starting to notice that parts of me just don't look like me anymore- like my hands look different.  My face is changing...It is very emotional, and kinda scary- this really is transformation- and some days are better than others!

defygravity
on 4/29/13 11:49 am - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

I totally understand how you feel, except not for quite the same reasons.  I wasn't really the big girl growing up and didn't really gain most of my weight until I was in my late 30's.  I see myself in the mirror now, before surgery and I don't recognize myself.  I am looking forward to the day that I see the same person in the mirror as the one I feel like I am.  

Great job on your weight loss.  You will get used to the new you and be comfortable in your new skin.

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

tiddles
on 4/29/13 12:54 pm
VSG on 05/09/13 with

Ha! - That is exactly how I feel. I didn't get big until my 30's when I started having kids. 12 years later I am 100 pounds heavier, but I still have a mental image of my slim self, even though I know I'm not that person anymore. I look in the mirror and I have to turn away,  can't stand it. 

I still have the skinny clothes, and I can't wait to fit them again. 

debk21
on 4/29/13 11:49 am - Mansfield, TX

Give it time.  You'll get used to the new you that you see in the mirror.  After a while, you'll look at an old picture of yourself and wonder who that person was?  You've had such a rapid loss in such a small amount of time, that it will take a while for your brain to catch up.  It's okay to feel this way, but know that it is probably only temporary.  Congratulations and celebrate the differences!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Mom_2_4
on 4/29/13 12:54 pm
VSG on 05/22/13
mokee
on 4/29/13 2:34 pm - OH

I go thru this every time I go to get dressed.  I say to myself, these are not going to fit, then they go on and are loose.   I look in the mirror and see a woman with small legs.   That's me I say.   This is quit a trip living thru this surgery and I am only 2/3 way to goal.

Most Active