Making turkey chili.. What do I do about carb ingredients?

Jackie P.
on 5/3/13 1:58 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

I'm 3.5 weeks out. I want to make a turkey chili to take to work for lunches. I bought kidney beans and tomato sauce. The beans and sauce have so many carbs in them. What do I do? Include them? Use just a little? Even chili powder has a fair amount of carbs...

Thoughts? Trying to keep. My daily carbs around 20..

Thanks!

Surgery Date: April 10, 2013 • VSG

www.fatfornow.com

loverofcats
on 5/3/13 2:29 am

Leave out the beans? Use the meat and make like a taco sauce meal. I have no idea how many carbs chili powder has. I never counted spices. If it freaks you out, the leave it out. I usually kept my carbs around 40-50 during weight loss and never had any stalls or long plateaus. 20 was too low for me.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

WorkItOutWoman
on 5/3/13 2:30 am
By the time you portion it out you won't have a ton of carbs per serving. Put the entire recipe in mfp and also say how many portions. Once again a 2-4 oz portion is not very much.

BoutThatLife

MuttLover
on 5/3/13 2:39 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Here's what I do:

No beans (my husband is from Texas, which is apparently a "no beans in your chili, ever" state).

You must have spices, so no negotiation there!

Carefully read the labels on your tomato sauce to make sure there is no sugar added.  Tomatoes are fruit, so they have carbs -- but some sauces add sugar.  Now some also add spices which up the carbs a little, but look at the ingredients to make sure the carbs are coming from the tomato and spices, not from any added sugar.

Also, I have, in the past, used black soy beans in chili.  Much lower carb count than other types of beans, and the texture is much firmer.  They make a TERRIBLE baked bean, but since chili has meat and other items with texture, I like them fine.  The only brand I found in grocery stores was EDEN, and it was in the organic section.

But at 3.5 weeks out, you are eating so little, that I'd say to just put the full recipe into My Fitness Pal with your current ingredients, and indicate the servings to be YOUR serving size, not a normal one, and see the count before you make it.  If the beans add too many carbs, don't use them, or use fewer.  

Enjoy!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Keith L.
on 5/3/13 3:50 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Leave out the beans or use black beans which still have carbs but more fiber so its better for you. As for the tomato sauce, you can find lower carb tomato sauce and/or increase the tomato paste which is less carbs per volume.

Check out Elina_7 turkey chili recipe, its pretty low carb. Load up your chili with fiber if you can by adding some chopped celery.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

justpete
on 5/3/13 4:16 am
VSG on 04/02/13

beans have about 10% carbs as sugar, 35% fibre.  other 55%  ... no idea.  lol  but one can, portioned out ... that's not a lot of carbs is it.  fairly good protein amount too.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Jackie P.
on 5/3/13 9:45 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Thanks everyone!

Surgery Date: April 10, 2013 • VSG

www.fatfornow.com

mary d
on 5/3/13 8:21 pm

I would use diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce, less carbs and gives a nice texture.  Leave out the beans or use less.  I have used cut green beans.  Don't leave out the spices......

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views