Vets & Weight gain~~ Can we have an honest discussion~~

dot4you
on 5/11/13 12:48 am - CA

Hi Everyone,

I'm 5 1/2 years out and I'm experiencing weight gain. I know why also. SLIDER foods all the time!! I have let grazing & snacking creep back into my life for too long. I also didn't get on the scale for about a year. I'm up 20lbs!! Total shock for me but then again not. My clothes were getting tight & I chose to ignore it. Not any more!! For the last 2 days I have gone back to basics and have eaten ONLY high protein & low carbs & I'm down 3lbs. THANK YOU VSG. It is only a tool & I have to work it or I WILL gain weight.

My question to the "old-timers" out there (or anyone having a hard go at it) What has you sliding & gaining weight. How are you handling it & using your tool?

I have this amazing tool & I'm going to use it (by the grace of God). Thanks Everyone!!

Valsdetermined2lose
on 5/11/13 1:29 am
Recently gained 20 pounds also , 2 yrs post op. I knew it was my fault damn slider foods! But i caught myself in time and also went back to basics, before i was consuming too many calories with junk foods, i started drinking soda again which is a no no. Over the last 2 weeks i cut my calories in half and starting high protein on dense foods to get full and snacking on protein also, im glad to say ive lost 10 of the 20 in the past 2 weeks! I also have started excercising 3 times a weel also.
My sleeve still works, i was almost thinking it gave up on me but the truth is i gave up on my sleeve. I love my tool! Most of it is in your head, head hunger males me think im hungry and thats when i want to snack. Ive come to the conclusion that we all make mistakes, and it is us to decide what healthy choices to make.
You can lose again, good luck!
 HW-267-SW-253-CW-167 I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

dot4you
on 5/11/13 6:56 am - CA

Congrates to you with the weight lose!! That's working your VSG to it's fullest & the results are showing.

I can't wait to see 10 & then 20 maybe more pounds come off. The thing is with the VSG it's not like before. I'm not starving to lose an pound...we can eat. Just eat the right foods & feel full longer & feel better.

Wishing you the best!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/13 1:31 am

I am almost four years out, and I have not gained any weight back, but I am completely certain that gaining it back is a very real possibility.  It is this very thought that keeps me doing what I know I have to do in order to maintain.  I weight myself every single day and stay within a five pound window.  If I am ever on the high end of my weight, I immediately go into weight loss mode. Which for me, is a very clearly defined with specific behaviors and a given eating pattern.  I do this until I am back at the lower end of my weight.  I also attend monthly support groups given by my doctor even though I am this far out I still learn something new or at least get new motivation from these meetings.  Also, staying here and continuing to be involved helps me stay focused. 

I am glad that you were able to catch this at 20 pounds because the only thing worse than this would be to catch it at 30 pounds.  It might not be easy to get those pounds back off, but it is very doable and you are already doing everything to make it happen.  Thank you for posting this, as it keeps things real.  I agree with you 100%, if I don't stay on top of this, I too WILL gain weight.

dot4you
on 5/11/13 7:04 am - CA

Thanks for posting Elina & sharing what works for you. I really needed to hear from other VSGers out there. Just to hear what works for them over the long haul and how to keep the weight in check.  It's so simple but I've stopped reading & connecting to the facts...this is no game. I can no longer "use food" as a recreational sport.

It's really keeping my head in check & that will take some doing! I do have access to a group. I think I'll look into that. And I'm not putting the scale away again. Big no-no.

I have a few friends with vsg and 2 of us are 5yrs plus out & 2 are new (like 2-3 months). I really hope they can learn from my mistakes.

Thanks again!!!

acbbrown
on 5/11/13 1:34 am - Granada Hills, CA

You are definitely not alone  - over the last couple weeks a lot of "old time" VSGers have ben popping up with the same issues. Im just not quite 2 yrs but dealing with about a 15lb gain right now. Mine is more related to emotional eating but...eating the wrong types of food, eating too much, grazing, slacking on the exercise. 

This is absolutely a life time battle. Those early months and years are blessings but the real fight starts a couple years out. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

dot4you
on 5/11/13 7:10 am - CA

Emotional eating is about 80% of my problem too. I know what you mean...Sad to hear other "old timers" are struggling too. This darn eating thing is a *****!! I will prefail!  That's why I did this surgery to begin with. I wasn't going to give in to being fat and miserable my whole life! And I refuse to give in now!

I'm kind of mad about it...mad at myself. But will try to use this to move forward.  Wishing you the best & stay strong!!

sleevegirl
on 5/11/13 2:15 am - Austin, TX

I still don't consider myself a vet, but I have had as much as a 10 pound regain a few times in the past year. Mostly when I travel because I end up throwing in the towel and just eating whatever I want.

I'm struggling with the "does it matter" and what is "normal". I mean, most folks seem to indulge in these cir****tances. I've basically just decided that it's my normal and that I deal with it when I get back home. I don't even do anything different, I just go back to my normal eating and it flies back off - usually within a week. I'm super salt and carb sensitive, it seems, so as long as I just avoid that, there's no problem.

I'm not sure if that's a healthy attitude or not. Hell, I already know I've got a lot of issues I'm still dealing with. But that's my honest way that I'm currently dealing with it. Sigh, no real good answers.

I'm always asking myself if I'm "normal". I wish I knew what normal was... LOL!!!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/13 2:42 am

What do you think about changing perspectives a bit?  Who cares if you are "normal" or not?  Seriously, who cares?  I ask myself, "Is this working for me now?" and judge my actions accordingly.  I think this is the only helpful measure.  I think most of us have food and body issues and it's "normal" in our experience to deal with food in an abusive manner.  I try really hard to just stick with those habits and strategies that get me more of what I want and I don't care anymore if it is not what the "normal" person does.  I only care about how it works for me.  I will never be completely normal around food, but why do I need "normalcy"?  American normal is quite sick in my opinion when it comes to food anyway, so I get to make up my own normal and judge my own success based on my criteria.  So far, so good.

sleevegirl
on 5/11/13 7:54 am - Austin, TX

I'm going to make you write my posts for me. LOL!

That's kind of where I am.... "what's normal anyway". I struggle sometimes with "eating 3 mini desserts isn't normal" and then looking around everyone has 5 of them (you know those little one bite things?). I think I'm still in the insane hyper aware place. I'm working on it!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active