Haters! OMG!

Bekahre7
on 5/12/13 2:28 pm

I'm really struggling with haters right now and it's making me crazy!

I had only told a handful of people that I was having surgery back in December and I asked them not to tell other people. Well, how does the saying go?: "If you don't want people to know your business, don't tell people your business?"  Of course, one person told 2 others that I had SPECIFICALLY asked her not to tell. Now their days consist of gossiping about how my Facebook check-ins at the gym are so annoying...and how I'm falsely advertising my weight loss as something derived from simple exercise and diet changes. Ummm...so, since I'm NOT advertising that I had surgery -- all the other work I've been doing to lose 70 lbs (like LOTS of exercise and diet changes) is null and void???? And since when is it anyone else's business to tell????  And WHO broadcasts to the world that they had WLS? It's embarrassing enough to HAVE TO have it. Why would I put myself on blast like that?  I don't post full body pictures of myself or say that I've lost X-amount of weight. If people notice when they see me, that's great. If they ask questions, I may just tell them the whole story -- but that has never happened.  Someone says "You look great!" and I say "Thanks!"  Apparently, I'm supposed to say, "Oh, thank you...by the way I had WLS. Do you want to hear all the details?"

So irritated!!!!!

AmyB1012
on 5/12/13 2:38 pm

UGH i had this too when i went to my grandmas funeral. I told my step mom and she decided to broadcast it to the WORLD. Everyone knew :( Made me so angry. When people i ask diet change watch what i eat bc well that what i AM doing!! Im sorry ((hugs)) i can totally relate though

Bekahre7
on 5/12/13 2:56 pm

I know! People act as though you can just have surgery and the weight will fall off. 

Imakitekat
on 5/12/13 2:44 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13
Hi

So sorry that this is happening to you, I understand your frustration. I think it is so great that you have lost all that weight, surgery or not. Ultimately, you are the one that lost the weight, your determination, your tenacity and your diligence to eat correctly and exercise, the surgery is just a tool,a great too, but none the less, if you didn't change the other things the surgery wouldn't work, it's all you! Be proud of what your doing and don't let other people get you down. The way I look at it is people treat you differently when you are overweight so it goes to say people are going to treat you different when you lose it, but how you treat yourself is the most important thing, your a star and now is your time to shine, don't let the clouds stand in your way!

Lisa
Bekahre7
on 5/12/13 2:54 pm

Amen to that!  Thank you for the encouragement!  People seem to think that if you aren't forthcoming with all the details of your personal business, it somehow makes you a liar. 

Cwuddy
on 5/12/13 3:24 pm, edited 5/12/13 10:22 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12
I'm so sorry you are going through this, it is so frustrating....what I don't understand about people is who cares HOW you get it off?? Isn't the important thing that you get it off at all? Congrats on your determination and perseverance ...keep up the hard work, you will be the winner in the end no matter what!

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

mickeymantle
on 5/12/13 3:33 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i went the other way and told everyone , only one person was negitive the instructor at the gym , who says if you can lose the weight before the surgery why do you need it she weights like 85 lbs  , and only eat veggies and nuts

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

SuperBee
on 5/12/13 4:00 pm
VSG on 05/28/13 with

You are doing great on your journey.  Focus on that and forget everyone else.  Keep up the fantastic work!  I have only told 3 people that I am doing this - my husband (obviously) and two of our close friends.  I have been wondering what type of comments I will hear as well - but I am trying to prepare myself by just focusing on getting myself healthy and getting rid of all the negativity.  

LVeronica
on 5/12/13 8:41 pm

Since the word is out there, why not embrace it at this point.  Start mentioning casually on your facebook stuff about surgery as if everyone already knows all about it.  Take the wind out of the gossip sails.  If you are loosing more than 2-3 pounds a week, people are going to assume you had surgery anyway.

Deckeriv
on 5/12/13 9:08 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Exactly what LVeronica said.

Your frustration comes from a place in your mind where you are "embarrassed" that you had to have surgery. Approach it differently. You were "blessed" to be able to have surgery. People notice my weight loss and when they say "congratulations' I say thank you. If they ask how I did it; I say I had sleeve surgery and am on a diet with exercise. Most don't even ask what it is, they are just curious and if you make it no big deal it usually goes over their head.

Tell everyone and take the stress out of your life. Oh yeah, block the haters on Facebook too.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views