Calling all refluxers... if you had it before... what is your experience post-sleeve??

susan1277
on 5/14/13 9:44 am - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

Surgery is coming up on June 10th.  After an upper GI that showed severe acid reflux, it was suggested I look into the Rny instead.  I don't feel its an option for me, at this point I would go without surgery before I got the Rny.  He warned me that there is no way to know how I will do after with the acid, it could stay the same or (worst case scenerio) get it revised to the Rny.  

I'm hoping I'm in the majority of people that have it and it stays manageable after the surgery.  I am hoping that with a modified diet, timing before bed and elevated pillows, I'm hoping its manageable.

Mine now (pre-op) is controlled with 20mg of Omeprzole before I go to bed.  I don't really get heartburn but I do get break through acid maybe 3-4 times a year at night.

What are your experiences before and after?  If it makes a difference, he does a tight 40f.  There is a person in a facebook group for the sleeve that goes to my doctor that had to have a revision due to the reflux and now it's freakin me out!  indecision

Would love to have some feedback from you guys that have gone through it! 

Rny 6/10/13            Highest Weight 343           Surgery Weight 306

Julie H.
on 5/14/13 10:15 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 04/23/13

I had reflux compounded by a hiatal hernia.  During my VSG the surgeon put a couple of stitches in to close up the hernia.  I haven't had any problem with reflux since the surgery, granted, I take 40 mg daily of Nexium.

Once my stomach is healed, and I have less pressure on my abdomen from losing weight, I expect my reflux problem will just be a memory.  Only time will tell, though. 

What you eat in private shows in public.            HW: 245  SW: 233  GW: 120

David R.
on 5/14/13 10:56 am
I am 18 months out and do not have any problems with reflux or heartburn. I only have minor problems with certain brands of pasta sauces.
on 5/14/13 1:06 pm - NE

In the last year or so before surgery, I had reflux pretty bad.  But, since the surgery, I've had no problems-not ever.

sarapilar
on 5/14/13 1:09 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

I am on the max dose of Nexium - 80 mgs - plus take antacids and sometimes even a Rantadine tab - I got acid reflux really bad after my surgery.  Hoping it will go away soon.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

anninva
on 5/14/13 2:02 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

I'm like Julie. Had it before along with a hiatal hernia. That was repaired. I guess it got a little worse, but just continuing with PPI, Protonix. RNY is not necessary from my perspective. 

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/13 2:25 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
I had it before surgery and was also taking 20 mg omeprazole. For the first two months after surgery it was worse and I had to double my dosage but once the swelling in my stomach went down so did my need for double dosage. I still have reflux but it's not any worse than it was before surgery. That being said, I have a little larger sleeve at 40F bougie.
shajoh
on 5/14/13 2:40 pm - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

Had reflux before. I've been on Nexium. Switched to Omperzole 40mg. My prescription bill went from $85 to 85 cents per month. That's why I switched. I've had no problems with reflux since surgery. 

Sharla

KathyA999
on 5/14/13 2:57 pm

I had reflux pre-op and was on an Rx (can't remember which one it was, now).  Post-op my reflux was maybe slightly worse.  I ended up going through four different PPIs before finding one that worked long-term.  Each would be fine for 3-4 months, then the reflux would come back.  It was probably exacerbated by the five meals we eat post-op - that last meal is a bit close to bedtime.  Anyway, it's been probably 18 months or more since I've been on the last one, Protonix, and it's working well for me.  I take it twice a day. 

I would like very much to get off it eventually, as PPIs interfere with absorption of calcium, iron, and other elements that need stomach acid to help them bind once they get into the intestines.  Interestingly, I recently moved to a Paleo style eating plan, and one day I forgot one of my pills and didn't get the usual acidy "reminder" that I needed to take it.  IDK, maybe eliminating a bunch of things is the answer, for me at least.  We'll see.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

susan1277
on 5/14/13 10:46 pm - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

Thank you for your responses!  I have only found one or 2 people that have to have a revision due to the acid being so bad.  I think the chances are pretty good that I will be ok.  They didn't find a hernia on the upper GI but he said he is going to look for one just in case. I have had so many hernias that it wouldn't be a shock that one was hiding.  Thanks for sharing your experiences!! 

Rny 6/10/13            Highest Weight 343           Surgery Weight 306

Most Active