Things I ate before I can't eat them anymore. What about you?

katie L.
on 5/16/13 2:15 am

I am having a hard time with some food. I can not eat eggs, grits, cottage cheese,mash potatoes. I am still weak and I sleep all the time. I call the dr's office for help the call I was on the phone with another dr. I call them back 8 days later no phone call.I just called the office again may be they will call me back. I have an appointment on Next Tuesday. Anyone else having that problem.

Ms Shell
on 5/16/13 2:19 am - Hawthorne, CA

How far out from surgery are you?
When you say "ate before but can't eat anymore" is that postop?
Are you on an acid blocker?
Are you still able to get fluids in?

A couple of the foods you mentioned CAN be hard on some people. 

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Shagdoll
on 5/16/13 2:21 am

Hi there,

How far out are you from surgery?  If you are still weak & sleepy then it sounds like you are in the beginning weeks.  If you are, food is going to be hard to eat for the first few weeks.  You'll be lucky if you can even get in 1-2 spoonfuls of purees at this time.  Try to focus on protein shakes & water for now.  Even those were a chore for me.  I literally had to sip all day long & make a conscience effort to do so.  I even took my water bottle in the bath room with me just to keep sipping every few minutes.  It's a good thing that you contacted your doctor's office though because any time we have a concern as it pertains to surgery, is always a smart move to get some direction & guidance. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

shrinking_sarah
on 5/16/13 2:24 am - CA

I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, then soft foods (cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, Greek yogurt), then soft solids (poached or scrambled eggs, flaky fish).  At this point if I chew well I think I can eat anything I ate before.  Whether I SHOULD or not is another matter entirely. :)

I'm sorry your dr's office is not being very responsive.  Did you get a post-op guide?  Some people are sensitive to dairy (including eggs) post-op.

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

AdeanaMarie
on 5/16/13 3:06 am, edited 5/16/13 3:07 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I was not allowed to eat eggs until over 6 weeks out.  Might even have been 3 months.  No soft foods until 2 weeks out and no solid dense foods until 6 weeks out.  Eggs are a high allergen food and my nutritionist did not want it to be wrecked for me early out, since it is a staple later on.  Eat eggs at least once a week now, no issues.  Over a year out, the only food I have trouble eating is high fat foods, such as avocado, bacon, sausage, etc...  Mostly things I should not eat much of anyway while trying to lose weight.  However, it is mainly because my gall bladder is unhappy with them, no other reason.

All depends on how far out you are and your doctor's food guides.  Keep calling the doctor and do not accept then not returning your call, that is VERY unprofessional and as far as I am concerned, VERY irresponsible on their part.  But accidents happen and  perhaps they wrote your number down wrong or lost the message.  Call and get your answers.  Your health is too important.  

When I call my doctor's office I expect an answer the same day, if it is urgent and one within 2 days if it is a general question.  But almost always, they call back within the same day or have me talk to someone right when I call.  I had the best surgeon and staff possible though.  Loved them.  Grand Health Partners, Grand Rapids, MI.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Most Active