Meeting with surgeon didn't go well

jlynn1025
on 5/20/13 4:23 am

I met with my surgeon on Friday.  It didn't go very well.  He is very pro RNY and I am more interested in the VSG.  He didn't have any facts to support his decision of RNY other than he's been doing it for years and has seen success and feels VSG is the flavor of the month like the lap band was years ago.  I was really hoping he would have more concrete information to give me.  I also felt rushed and didn't get to ask all the questions I had.  There is no clear pre-op or post-op diet in their informational binder.  I'm hoping these questions will be answered at my next appointment with the nutritionist.  They were looking to have the surgery scheduled for june 24th but that is too soon for me.  The dr didn't even go over what my goal weight should be.  I'm wondering if I should go see another surgeon at this point.  Next time i have an appt the surgeon will give me an exam and the nurse said it will include a breast exam.  That kind of shocked me, I'm not sure why that is necessary.

luvstar0613
on 5/20/13 4:25 am - NY
VSG on 06/03/13

I would 100% find another surgeon!  More than halfway through my pre-op journey, I switched surgeons and feel so much more comfortable!

*Alana*   HW: 277.3, SW:267.8 

Pre Op: -9.5, M1: - 21.8, M2: -12.8 M3: -11.4 M4: -12.7 M5:-13 M6: -8.4 M7 - 14.4 M8: -4.6

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/13 4:25 am

You couldn't pay ME money to get my VSG done by the surgeon you are describing.  I would absolutely find another surgeon, someone that has done many VSG and believes in the surgery based on their own experience.  The sleeve is done very differently by different surgeons, be picky, it's important.

danixbanani
on 5/20/13 4:30 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Yes, like everyone else has said, find another surgeon.  It's possible that the surgeon you went to is the most skilled at RNY which is why he's pushing it.  You wouldn't want him to perform a sleeve anyway because chances are he doesn't have a lot of experience with it.  Don't settle for less!  This is an important decision and not an easy one at that.  Definitely shop around surgeons.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

MuttLover
on 5/20/13 4:30 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Agreed!  I used to work at a hospital, and expected that I'd have my VSG done there -- UNTIL I went to the info seminar, and the overwhelming vibe was RNY, even though I'd seen a few VSGs done by this surgeon.  But the whole thing was such a turn-off, that went to the info seminars for other hospitals and selected a different program.

I am also very lucky to live in a city where there are several outstanding programs!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

jlynn1025
on 5/20/13 4:36 am

All of the information in their binder was for a patient with RNY.  There weren't even notes for VSG or even better a separate binder for VSG instructions. 

Wildcat-NYC
on 5/20/13 4:50 am
VSG on 08/16/12

If you are feeling uncomfortable at all - you need to find a new surgeon.  I switched surgeons in the middle of the process for the same reasons you described above and can't tell you how happy I am that I did. 

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
SophieNJ
on 5/20/13 4:52 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

RUN!!! Run as fast as you can away from there!!!  if you have an appt, cancel it NOW.  Put in your location in your profile, and post another topic looking for recommendations where you live for a VSG surgeon in your area.  Good luck!

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

danigirl42
on 5/20/13 4:55 am - PA
VSG on 01/02/13

I agree with everyone - find a different surgeon and get away from this guy.  Go with your gut feeling here.

sleevegirl
on 5/20/13 4:56 am - Austin, TX

You need to find a surgeon with VSG experience. Get another opinion. Not sure where you live, but I bet if you start a post "Looking for recommendation for a VSG surgeon in....." you will get some pointers.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views