Low Iron. What to do?

Sandra R.
on 5/23/13 10:35 am

I have seen a hematologist because my iron levels were low (8.2) I have had 5 sessions of iron injections and my iron level has only moved up to 9.2. My doctor said that I will continue to not have my hair grow back properly until my iron levels are normal 12-15.  I try to get the right amount of protein intake but still no success of extreme hair growth. My doctor to me i have to go to the office every month for the next 6-8 months for iron injections.

Is this an issue for anyone else?

mokee
on 5/23/13 11:11 am - OH

I found out I was low on iron at the blood draw a month ago.   I take 3 bariatric vitamins a day that have 150 per cent of daily iron.  They told me to take iron tablets on top of this.  Instead I went old school.  I drug out my cast iron skillet and pot.  When I cook I cook in these.   I make sure that I cook tomatoes in the pot and eat 1/2 cup about 3 times a week.   The acid leashes the iron out of the cast iron pot.  Made chicken livers the other night and they are high in iron.  Product 19 protein is high in iron also.   I am waiting another month and get my blood work again and see if I have improved.

sure hope I don't have to go thru all you are going thru.   

dot4you
on 5/23/13 1:43 pm - CA

I also had low iron. it's horrible! I had iron infusions (5) and they helped. I was below 8.5 and it was terrible. 9.2 is low, can you get some more injections? I also use an iron frying pan. Why not? I'll try anything.

I need to retest soon. My energy has dropped and I'm afraid it's my iron.

Wish you the best. Google low iron/VSG it's an issue.

mickeymantle
on 5/23/13 3:53 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i found out that ppi can stop you from absorbing iron , because you need acid  to absorb  iron

if you are on a strong ppi eating iron rich food will not help

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

dcamacho01
on 5/24/13 8:36 am

I also had low iron for the first time after 1 1/2 year of the surgery. My nutritionist doubled  my iron in take and I just got my results after 4 months and I am normal. I think if I am not mistaken that when you take to much of a vitamin unless is prescribed the absorption does not change much from a normal intake, For example if I would have taken 4 pills of iron the result would have been the same as if I have taken two.

I hope this helps!!! Feel better.....

Diana

brynn3
on 5/24/13 12:34 pm - MI
VSG on 10/16/13

Tea also decreases the absoprtion of Iron in iron rich foods, so try to stay away if you can.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views