3 days until surgery... and here come the nerves...

GreenisLove
on 5/25/13 9:01 pm - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday and I am not getting the jittery nerves. At first it was excitement beyond imagination. Now, it is feelings of am I doing the right thing? I'm only 25, is this something I'm going to be able to live with forever? Is it worth it?

I just moved back home from my dorm room and have been keeping myself busy by "nesting" in my room, so I haven't had too much time to think of things until now. But I think about all these feelings, and I have to go back to the list I made of all the reasons why I want WLS. Of all the times I've lost weight, and regained plus some. Of the the illness' that I am border lined or already have, and how this is something I am doing for me. When I remember all of these things, I feel much better and more confident in my ability to succeed. I just wish the doubtful feelings never come into question. Has anyone else experienced this?

Nancybefree
on 5/25/13 9:51 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

This is very, very common.  A few days before my surgery I was trying to convince myself that I could just do the preop diet for the rest of my life and lose the excess weight that way.  Yeah, right, sure. 

FWIW I lost 113.5 pounds when I was 30 via diet and exercise, then regained it all plus about 50 more.  I have learned that I needed the benefits that come with successful sleeve surgery in order really to lose the EW and have the best chance of keeping it off this time. 

You make a good point about those comorbidities that you either might already have or for which you seemed destined. 

Anyway, yes, what you are experiencing is quite normal.  Hang in there!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

GreenisLove
on 5/26/13 4:13 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

Yea I already have high blood pressure, and am one candy bar away from diabetes =(  I'm glad to hear is it normal to feel like this, and I cant wait to be on the other side!

Sandy M.
on 5/25/13 10:00 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

So so common!  I had the urge to cancel the surgery from about 2 weeks out all the way to being wheeled into the operating room!  I would distract myself and give myself some stern talking to's when I realized I was thinking too much.  

After surgery, I recalled the thoughts I had prior to surgery, and realized how messed up they were.  Like thinking that I could just diet and exercise and I'd lose the weight.  Like thinking that I had the capability to eat my food in moderation from now on.  Silly brain!

I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out, but I know already that it was absolutely the right thing to do.  I've lost 18 pounds and feel like life has started over for me.  I only wish that this surgery was around when I was 25 so that I would have a full lifetime of feeling this good!  

Good luck to you - you'll do great!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

GreenisLove
on 5/26/13 4:12 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

That what my family has been telling me! "youre doing so well losing weight now, what makes you think you cant continue it and just lose the weight that way?" Its so frustrating that they dont understand! I know when the surgery is all over I will finally be at ease, but man these nerves are insane!

Sandy M.
on 5/26/13 7:41 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

They'll come around.  Remember, they're frightened for you too.  

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

lucy2e
on 5/25/13 10:49 pm - Laurel, MD

What you are feeling is perfectly normal.  I can remember being so excited until I got the phone call that I was approved and scheduled, then Mothra took up residency in my stomach!  All the what ifs where flying threw my head.

If you look at posts about regrets, the most common is I wish I would have done this years ago.  You are young - just 25.  You have the chance to take the rest of your life by the reins and live a much more normal, healthy life!  Congrats on taking the first steps on a healthier, happier future!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

GreenisLove
on 5/26/13 4:09 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

Thats exactly how I felt! I got the date and it was all celebrating and good news, but then i realized it was only two weeks away. I suppose pretty soon Mothra wont be able to fit in my tummy =P  And I was just reading a thread about regrets and couldnt believe how many were that they didnt do it sooner. i guess that is something I am truly grateful for.

Manderley
on 5/26/13 12:20 am - New Port Richey, FL

Now is the perfect time to do this. You're still young enough that your whole life hasn't been wasted. Trust me, you're doing the right thing. You only have one life to live, live it beautiful and healthy. You might feel good now, but once you get older, being so heavy, it really takes its toll. I'm diabetic, have kidney, cardiac and vision issues all due to diabetes, not to mention high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and pain like you can't imagine. Every muscle and bone is aching from carrying around all this weight. 

Focus on the goals you've set for yourself. Visualize yourself at your goal weight. You can DO THIS.

HW: 402, Nov 2012, down 89 lbs.      VSG 6/18/13 

GreenisLove
on 5/26/13 4:07 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

Thank you so much for your kind words =) I also have high blood pressure and I am pre-diabeteic as well, so I will take advantage of this opportunity to take care of myself

Most Active