Had my Revision to the sleeve on Tuesday

angdenise
on 5/31/13 12:32 pm - IN
VSG on 05/28/13

Hi

Well I had my sleeve surgery on Tuesday.  I just came home from the hospital today.  So far I feel okay, tired.  I have been getting close to 64 oz yesterday and today..  Was curious what issues everyone had with drinking at first?  What helped?  I am finding warm thicker fluids go down better than cool ones.  I am using small cups to sip from...still a challenge to slow down and sometimes it hurts.  Also, I get hiccups occasionally and those are quite painful.  The other thing I  have found is that while I am not in any major pain when I take the pain meds I can get liquds down better.  Anyone else notice this?  Thanks all

JAlston
on 5/31/13 1:53 pm
VSG on 12/07/12

Congrats! Glad to hear all is going well. Sometimes the hiccups are a sign that you are full. Sometimes after the sleeve people notice hiccups or a running nose when they are full, sounds strange but it happens. Try to slow down a little more when drinking. Since your sleeve is so swollen now, it is very tiny so liquids go through slowly, it will heal and go through quicker. Warmer liquids were better for me and still are and I am 6 months post op. Sometimes cold drinks just hurt my stomach, weird because I never had that issue before...but you will probably notice a lot of new things now.

Best of luck to you!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

pineview01
on 5/31/13 4:58 pm - Davison, MI

Congratulations on being sleeved.  I had the best luck with fluids that were luck warm.  I also could get down more with Crystal light or such added.  I don't know if it was easier with pain meds as I didn't take them except the first two nights to sleep.  I stopped them as soon as I could to lessen constipation which was bad enough without pain meds.

Remember just sip, sip sip.  and don't drink so much you get hiccups as you are right, they really hurts.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

grannymedic1
on 6/1/13 9:50 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

You are still very swollen. After my band, as in within days, I could guzzle 8 oz. of water in just a couple of minutes. As time went on I could drink even more. With my sleeve I started out with 1/4 tsp. sips every 10 minutes or so. Of course I got dehydrated but I just couldn't get or keep more down. Now at 9 months out it still takes me the better share of a day to get down 44 oz. and in order to get the full amount of fluids in the rest must be hot liquids or it isn't going to happen. I miss being able to guzzle a bottle of water when I am very thirsty or getting up in the night and drinking a full glass of water. Anything more than 2 moderate swallows and I will be in pain and hanging over the toilet. Seems strange but true. Fortunately not everyone is like this.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

angdenise
on 6/1/13 12:34 pm - IN
VSG on 05/28/13

Thanks all.  This is so different from the band.  I know I will adjust.  I have been able to get around 60 oz of fluids in daily and today was easier (finding warm and milky is easier).  Any suggestions so that I don't get bored with variety?  I did make a SF Peanut Butter Hot Cocoa with Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa made with milk and added 2T of PB2 powdered peanut butter and a little splenda.  It was yummy and gave me 8oz of liquids and 15g protein. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views