2 weeks out and not in ketosis!! Suggestions.....

Mom_2_4
on 6/4/13 3:05 am
VSG on 05/22/13

Hi, 

Just found out the soup I've been drinking has potato pureed in it.  My calories have been 800 and under and my water has been good.  Should i go back to liquids or should I just cut out carbs now....  I don't understand.   Is ketosis a function of calories, carbs, both?  HELP!

Elisa

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

shess1025
on 6/4/13 3:22 am - Novato, CA
Read your labels before you ingest. Track your food by way of carbs and protein....follow your physicians guidelines. Congrats on getting your water in. What does your doctors food plan direct you to do?

VSG on 3/13/13 with Dr. Gregg Jossart. HW: 364. SW: 287. GW: 150. CW: 190

Mom_2_4
on 6/4/13 3:33 am
VSG on 05/22/13

The soup was a gift from a friend after surgery..... My doctor doesn't really restrict carbs, I'm on purees,  but I wanted to follow the plan touted here on OH.  According to MFP.  I was OK but I'd but the soup as vegetable made with Chix. stock - which it is but had potatoes....

Elisa

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/13 3:40 am

Ketosis happens not with calories but carbs.  Cut ALL carbs to under 40gms daily it you want to go into ketosis.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/4/13 3:55 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I have never checked if I ever went into Ketosis or not. If you are following your plan re-evaluating your relationship with food by putting good habits in place, tracking, measuring, and losing weight and getting your nutrition needs met and exercising....and you feel good....coz we didn't sign up for this to feel crappy....then ketosis or not, life is good!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Mom_2_4
on 6/4/13 5:14 am
VSG on 05/22/13

Thanks Julia,

Check to all of the above.  I am losing but I think  at a pretty slow rate.  So I may try and tighten up a little on carbs.  I'm averaging around 40-60 a day.  But you're right, I didn't do this to be miserable!

Elisa

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/4/13 6:17 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Ok...on the slow rate of loss, I have to take the first prize there. I am 8 months out (in a few days) and I have lost 64 or 65 lbs since surgery day, some 20 probably in the first month and a half and bit by bit since then. I get the golden window and honeymoon six months to a year theory but....I also remember doctors and nutritionists drill into my head the advice that slow and steady weight loss is better for us in the longer term. That was advice for the traditional...or natural way to lose weight - diet and exercise and mindful eating and the dirty word - moderation. So this begs the question in my little brain - why would the weight loss we experience after WLS be any different than the 'natural' way, without WLS especially in terms of fast or slow?

If slow weight loss is good then why would we want to have overnight weight loss with WLS? I know its wonderful and gratifying and encouraging to see the massive daily drops on the scale but is it "good" for us to lose 100 lbs in six months? Whichever way you do it? I really don't know...

What I have personally experienced is relatively slow weight loss in comparison to others on this board. What I have also experienced...or rather, I should say what I have NOT experienced at all, are the following: foamies or slimies, hair loss, headaches, pain, constipation, nausea or vomiting, dehydration, lack of energy, deficiencies, strictures, leaks....well, basically name any complication or negative side effect and I have not had it! And yeah, weight loss has been slow in comparison to others. But in comparison to ME its like the speed of sound!!! I am a completely transformed person in a short 8 months....it is completely unbelievable and beyond awesome. I have carried this excess weight for some 18 years now. To lose almost all of it (I have 25 lbs to goal) in 8 months...maybe it is slow but it is nothing short of unbelievably amazing also.

So, I will take the slow rate any day if it means that my journey is smooth and steady and most importantly sustainable and with a hope and a chance of it being sustainable forever.

sooooo.....if you think you are losing at a slow rate, think again and put it in perspective of the rest of your life. This one year or two is like a blip when you think of the rest of the years you have ahead and how you have taken a huge step to better your health long term.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Mom_2_4
on 6/4/13 7:44 am
VSG on 05/22/13

I get what you're saying and will keep it in mind.  Thanks!

justpete
on 6/4/13 4:24 am
VSG on 04/02/13

being in ketosis will help you lose fat, but you will never get there unless you are restricting your carb intake below 40 or even 20. And i think it takes a couple days at those low carbs to even get into ketosis.   you will still lose weight from your calorie deficits (intake-daily energy requirement-exercise) ... but probably not as much. 

I'm not sure if i'm in ketosis either.  I've seen ketosis strips at the stores but havent picked any up.  since my doc and nutritionist dont direct me to restrict carbs to the level where i would be in constant ketosis ... i dont see the need.  later when the weight loss drops off or i'm trying to lose some stubborn pounds or break a stall ... then i might look into it.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Mom_2_4
on 6/4/13 5:17 am
VSG on 05/22/13

I like the idea of waiting until weight loss slows.  You just hear about the 5-6month honeymoon period and I want to take full advantage of it!  Thanks for the advice and insight.   I'm working it!

Elisa

Most Active