Okay so.............

N. K
on 6/11/13 5:40 am

I went to Dr. Elariny's office in VA to check out the process for a revision from lap-band to a Duodenal Switch and everything was going well until they had me see the accounting person Alex. It's amazing to me how you can quote someone prices without even calling the insurance company. Prices quoted were $24,000 for DS, and $14,000 for VSG without even knowing what my insurance will cover.

Needless to say I have now made a new appointment with my original surgeon's office Dr. Halmi to consult about the revision to a VSG. I just found out from Gail that I had the coverage for sure and when I go through for the consult we will discuss the requirements and what is needed from me.

She also informed me it will be a two part surgery one to remove the band and give my stomach time to heal, then the actual sleeve will be done. It's a little bitter sweet. I know I am looking at probably the end of the year for everything to get done, but I am selfish because I want this weight off of me now, and the band never worked. I am so tired of wearing this fat suit. I decided to go with the sleeve because I am hoping it will be all I have to do to help aid me yet again in my weight loss journey but, in the worst case scenario I know eventually I can get the DS if medically necessary. 

Anyone have their surgery done in two parts? Are there any of Dr. Halmi's patients out there?

danixbanani
on 6/11/13 6:18 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Hi there!

I am not a patient of that doctor's but I am a lapband to sleeve revision in a two part surgery!  Can I tell you how amazing this change has been for me? 

I was miserable with the lapband.  Had it for four years, went through countless surgeons that did NOT want to help me and actually blamed me for the band not working until I finally settled on my current surgeon at NYU.  I lost 50lbs with the band but gained it all back.  I got stuck at every meal and would have to puke it back up no matter where I was.  It was downright awful.  I developed GERD and a hiatal hernia as well (only found out by my amazing surgeon Dr. Schwack).

My surgeon's recommendation was the same, that the revision be done in a two part surgery.  I was horrified that I might get the band removed and then not get the sleeve approved but my surgeon assured me that wouldn't happen.  Make sure your surgeon is working closely with you and your insurance.

I had my band removed in July 2012 and it was easy-peasy.  The recovery was honestly easier than getting the band in!  I took it easy and was on liquids only for a day or two.  The surgeon also wanted my stomach to "heal" or take some time to rest between the surgeries because the bands can cause a lot of terrible scar tissue.  He also stated that the leak statistics are much lower if done in a two part surgery.  Some people will argue this and say it isn't better to be done in a two part  surgery but I'd rather go by what MY surgeon is comfortable with.  You don't want someone going in there all nilly-willy.  I then had my VSG done in October 2012 and I have never looked back. 

Life is very different now with the sleeve and I have made a huge effort to change my lifestyle.  With the band, I could eat whatever slid down my throat the easiest.  Eating normal healthy foods like chicken, veggies etc was awful.  I could also eat a huge portion of food at a time.  I had little to no restriction with my band.  With the VSG, I have a normal stomach and can eat healthy.  That being said, I have had to do a total 180 on my state of mind.  I can eat the slider foods just as easily now as I could before.  I have to make a conscious effort to have a healthy eating lifestyle.  I'm not always perfect, but it is easier to get back on track with the sleeve.

Don't go into this thinking "well I can later revise to a DS if I need to". That's what got me into trouble with my band.  I made a poorly informed decision to get the band because it was "removeable".  Had I really thought this through, I'd rather have one surgery and make it work.  I feel like the thinking of "well I can revise later on" won't help your mental state with this surgery.  It's 10% surgery and 90% mental in my opinion.  Really take the time to research these surgeries and make an informed decision.  I love my sleeve and if you have any questions about band to sleeve revisions, feel free to contact me.  I wish you the best of luck!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

N. K
on 6/11/13 8:10 am

Thank you so much for your honest detailed review. And I admit that was my way of thinking and thank you for the wakeup call. Three months healing period isn't bad at all I hope mine will be like that, but whatever timeframe he gives me I was going to use that to start clearing out the kitchen and going back to basics as well as work on the preop requirements. I also had the constant upchucking and GERD as well. Had a trash can or bathroom near every spot I would eat.  How is your GERD doing now that you have the sleeve? I know it is still a possibility but I hope not since I didn't have a problem with it before the band. Thanks again for your advise.

Antimony40
on 6/11/13 10:41 am - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

Love Dr. Halmi, and Gail was my coordinator...good luck!!

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

Most Active