Need some reinforcement/encouagement

puzzled
on 6/10/13 11:15 pm - Palatine, IL
VSG on 05/20/13

I know the dreaded stall is common at 3 weeks. However, I stalled at 2 weeks post-op. I have now been stalled for one week. From everything I have read on here this is normal. As much as I keep telling myself give it time, I am probably losing inches.... I still can't help but be frustrated. What if this does not work for me? All my mind can think about is, Is my metabolism shot? Did I ruin it already? I have been trying to get at least 60g protein a day. I have kept carbs under 20 and water I am still struggling with usually between 40 - 50oz. My calories have been all over the place. One day 350 the next 700. I am trying to keep around 600-700 a day. Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

ravenbrown
on 6/10/13 11:25 pm - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I stalled at two weeks for two weeks, then dropped 7 pounds in five days.  I'd suggest not worrying about your calories right now and just focus on getting as much protein and water as you can.  I would really push for the 64 ounces of fluids, include the water/milk you make the protein shakes with.  It WILL work for you.  You've got a lot of hormones in your system right now, you just underwent major surgery so your body is healing, and this stall isn't really a stall.  It's a pause.  Be kind to yourself, take your measurements, and just know that this will pass.  What you are feeling is totally normal, it doesn't make it any less emotional, but I think most of us go through the same thing.  Hugs.  Maybe take a walk in the sunshine if you feel up to it.  That always helps me.

Nancybefree
on 6/11/13 12:23 am
VSG on 11/21/12

What she ^ said.  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

linzeelee
on 6/10/13 11:46 pm - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

I understand how you are feeling. Our surgery days are close, and I too have already stalled a couple times - the first being a week after surgery. It's very frustrating. But I keep telling myself it HAS to work if I keep doing what I'm supposed to be doing. We can do this.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Cindy B.
on 6/10/13 11:59 pm
VSG on 10/22/12

Like has already been said, this is TOTALLY normal! The feelings of frustration are also normal. Something I've learned over the last few months since surgery is my time of the month keeps me from losing also. (Probably from fluid retention.) I'm not sure how old you are, but take that into consideration also. Every month during my period, I didn't lose anything at all and would lose 5 pounds or so the next week.  I don't call those "stalls" then, they are just part of my losing cycle. Try to give your body a chance to heal after the surgery and try not to stress over this little pause in your losing. As long as you stick to your plan, the pounds will come off!

That being said, I'm a person that didn't have to keep my carbs super low to lose the weight. I kept them around 50 grams a day and lost an average of 3 pounds a week. I did focus on getting at least 60 grams of protein and 64 ounces of water in every day though. Also most days I got in around 650 calories. Doing this, I was still able to lose 100 pounds in 7 months so I don't think it really slowed down my weight loss. I personally wouldn't have wanted to lose it any faster than that.

Good luck! I hope this helps you feel better about this whole process...

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

jenn227
on 6/11/13 12:09 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Poor thing..it is very frustrating, but also is part of the process.  Keep coming online here...that's what helped me from imploding during my spells of "stalls".  There is no way you can eat at such a deficit of calories and NOT lose weight!  You'll see the scale moving soon, don't worry!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

missthingg
on 6/11/13 1:26 am - memphis, TN

I'm so glad to hear about this stall. I had surgery May 15 and I'm at a stall. I stalled at week 2. I'm still at a stall and I've started working out. I keep telling myself that this can't last always. I know I'm probably not eating enough or getting enough water so I'm trying to up my intake. It will be okay. We will get through this...just keep your eyes on the prize and stay with the plan!!

Keith L.
on 6/11/13 3:57 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

First get used to stalls and only use the scale to make sure you are headed in the right direction. Don't obsess over the number if your weight is not going up or only up a few ounces then you are headed in the right direction. I am a fan of weighing every day.

Water is your issue here for sure. You are probably retaining water because you are dehydrated. 64oz is a minimum to flush and cleanse you really need to be in the 80 to 100+ ounces, and more if you are exercising. That is the first thing you need to do when you stall.

Next once your water and other stats are in check and your calories are stable at 600-800 then the other thing you can look at is fat consumption. The doctors tell us to eat low fat but what they really mean is to eat low saturated fats. You should be eating poly unsaturated fats and even some saturated fats. You want them to be from almonds, avocados, salmon, flax seeds, chia seeds,high omega-3 sources.

That is the basics of how to avoid and break a stall.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Jackie T.
on 6/11/13 6:52 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I know everyone might not agree with me but I am going to put this out there.  Until you are on dense proteins, forget about your calories and carbs.  Concentrate on your water and the foods you can eat on your plan.  Right now you are limited on some of what you can eat and mushies and soft foods are not necessarily your high protein stuff, but you can not get dehydrated.  Once you start your dense protein, then start worrying about your protein amounts, carbs and calories.  You are still healing and your body is going through a lot of adjustment and that is what is occurring with your weight.  Right now you are probably eating some foods that you will not eat during your weight loss but until you can start eating more high protein foods, give yourself a break but don't go crazy on the carbs.  Drink, drink, drink and that includes your protein drinks if they have you on them right now.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Yocie
on 6/11/13 12:24 pm
VSG on 11/06/12

I agree that at this point early out, your fluids are the most important thing. It's SO HARD not to get discouraged when the scale doesn't move.....but there will be a lot of days like that. You will lose inches during that time, and this WILL work for you, and allow you to be successful. I wish you the best.

Most Active