Over Doing It on Vitamins? Question for Vets....

BREAZA
on 6/12/13 3:35 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I'm 7 weeks post op and am eating fine now that I'm on solids. I guess this question is for those who are much further out....am I over doing it on vitamins or should I continue to take these? Problem is that I was never much of a vitamin taker to begin with and now having to take these every day is becoming an issue.

Bariatric Advantage: Orange Multi-vitamin Citrus Chewable

Bariatric Advantage: Chocolate Chewables Calcium Citrate (500mg)

Bariatric Advantage: Strawberry Iron (18mg) Chewable

Bariatric Advantage B-12 Peppermint

Bariatric Advantage Liquid Vitamin D-3 (10,000 IUs)

Zinc 50mg every 3rd day

Biotin every day

Jackie T.
on 6/12/13 4:11 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I am like you I did not take vitamins before surgery.  Do you have any lab work scheduled?  I would not stop taking until you talk to your PCP or your surgeon.  Every office is different on what they prescribe.  I am almost six weeks out and take:

calcium w/ vitamin D - 2-3 times a day spread out (Should be 3 but I forget to take it)

Centrum multivitamin chewable

B12

Biotin

(I don't take iron as my counts have been okay and I have had a partial hysterectomy.  Otherwise I would be taking)

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Chris A.
on 6/12/13 4:12 am - Colfax, CA
VSG on 11/20/12

Hardly a vet, but my advice would be to wait for your labs to come back and let those and your doc/nut guide your choices. I used celebrate vitamins after my surgery initially and at the two month labs, my B vitamins were through the roof. Doc suggested switching to an over the counter. I now use Kirkland multi, Kirkland D3, Kirkland calcium chew, Twin Labs B12 and a Kirkland Fish Oil. Six month labs all came back normal. Not pushing Kirkland brand, just a Costco shopper.

BREAZA
on 6/12/13 4:14 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Yeah I was looking at Costco vitamins and if all goes well with my  labs I'm going to switch to Kirkland brand as well.

godsdiva4life
on 6/12/13 4:15 am - Frisco, TX
I am 10 months out and I still take my vitamins, only difference is instead of iron I get infusions, I know take vitamin pills, and more vitamin d. Just had a follow up yesterday and they reminded this is for life. I feel terrific so I don't want to switch if it's not broke. I've lost 100+ pounds so far.

BREAZA
on 6/12/13 4:17 am, edited 6/12/13 4:18 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Congratulations on losing 100 lbs!!! AMAZING! :)

I guess I'll have to wait until I get my labs done and go from there. Who knows I might not have to take all that I'm taking now.

pineview01
on 6/12/13 4:21 am - Davison, MI

like all have stated it depends on your labs.  I had to have them done at 2 weeks and 8 weeks.  I was taken

2 Muli-vitamins

2 Calcium Citrate

B-12

D-3

Based on my 8 week labs they doubled the D-2 and added 50mg Zinc (this helps with hair loss by the way)

I wouldn't change a thing untill they tell you based on YOUR labs.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

slatond
on 6/12/13 4:32 am

I am 13 mo out (110lbs down)... I still take my vitamins (Celebrate multi vitamin 2x day, Celebrate Calcium 2x day, Celebrate B12 1x day) I have tried other brands Costco / TJ's / etc. While all of those are good and probably work fine for others, I notice a big difference in how I feel when I change. My energy drops / my cravings increase ...etc. So I venture back to Celebrate. It is just habit for me now and I like them.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/12/13 4:57 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Take your vitamins! You want to maintain good levels and prevent deficiencies. You don't want to chase deficiencies when your levels tank and your labs start to show it. 85% of your stomach is gone. Even though you do not malabsorb, you do maldigest to a certain extent and you are eating way less than before and probably less of a variety. So take your multi and your calcium and your B12 and monitor labs for levels of everything else. Watch trends and at the slightest downward trend catch it. It is no joke. Deficiencies and osteoporosis is as unpleasant as obesity. You did not do this to trade one for the other! You did it to be healthy! So no slacking on the vites. My morning routine is 1 multi, a folic acid, a vitamin A and some krill oil or chia omega and a milk thistle. During the day I deal with the calcium citrate - 1500 mg spread into 3 doses...and at night I close shop with the second multi. On Sundays I take 50,000 IUs of D3 and 2500 mg of B12 sublingual. I don't need iron thank God!

If you don't like swallowing pills (who does!) you can get powder vites from ENS Celebrate and even powder Calcium citrate too and bung either one (not both) into your protein shake or water. 

Good luck!!! It can be done and it can be part of your routine without you burning out. It is essential.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

mimij
on 6/12/13 5:04 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

For sake of efficiency I started chewing both multivitamins at one time in the morning. I do wait to take the calcium and spread it out around meals. Is taking both multis at same time okay for absorption or should I split those morning and evening like I used to?

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views