smoking

soprofound
on 6/24/13 5:04 am - roswell, GA
VSG on 07/30/13

did any of you smoke pre surgery? if so did your surgeon require you to be smoke free for a certain period before performing the surgery and did you follow those instructions? 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/24/13 5:11 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Yes, I smoked pre surgery. My surgeon did not require me to quit but I did anyway, three weeks before surgery. Haven't had a ciggie since...and I hope I never will. I have a feeling if I restart that I will slide back into everything the way it was before...including poor food choices.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Hislady
on 6/24/13 5:15 am - Vancouver, WA

I know you are aware of the dangers of smoking in general but it can very negatively affect your surgery too. You need your lungs in the best shape possible for the anesthesia plus it slows your healing. I smoked for 35+ years and I'm right now sitting here with an oxygen hose in my nose, I can't walk but maybe 5 feet with pout stopping to catch my breathe and that is with oxygen. I pretty much have no life, it's very difficult to go anywhere. I can't just go visit friends or grandkids, can't run to the store for something for dinner and spend way too much time in the hospital. So I beg you to do whatever you can to quit because I wouldn't wish this life on anyone. Chantix is supposed to be a pretty good tool to help quit and if you fall off the wagon climb back on. Surgery is the least of reasons to quit and yes many surgeons require you to be smoke free and they can test for it. Good luck!!

Deckeriv
on 6/24/13 5:15 am, edited 6/24/13 5:16 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

While I had quit smoking 14 years ago, I thought I'd share a little anecdote my surgeon used when I expressed fear over the colonoscopy. He said it would be a shame to go through a major surgery only to die of colon cancer in a couple of years.

So with a twist, why go through this major surgery and get skinny and awesome to only die of lung cancer? Quit before your surgery. You will have less complications and live a lot longer.

My 2 cents.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

soprofound
on 6/24/13 5:38 am - roswell, GA
VSG on 07/30/13

thx guys. just wondering. im on chantix ive been stopped since feb. just asking. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/24/13 5:44 am

I had already quit prior to looking into WLS, but, yes, my surgeon required his patients to be smoke free for a minimum of 3 months prior to surgery. He tested for it, too, in my pre surgery blood work. Just snuck a blood nicotine test right on in with the rest of the blood work. Of course I didn't care. I think it's important for you to know that my surgeon absolutely refuses to do WLS on patients that are not smoke free. I know several people that were already for surgery and he postponed  their surgeries when they tested positive for nicotine.  Your surgeon may hold the same philosophy.

And just so you know, my life is so much better without the cigarettes. I was a hard core smoker and self avowed life time smoker (in other words, I believed I would never be able to quit, but I finally did). I never get winded any more doing normal everyday things (losing 100 pounds probably helped with that, too! LOL) - I can exercise without gasping for breath - I sleep better and I smell better. My skin looks better and I am so much healthier overall.

Every cigarette poisons you just a little bit more. I know it's hard, but you'll be so pleased with yourself if you can get off the smokes. Do whatever it takes. Good luck!

Horizon29
on 6/24/13 5:47 am
VSG on 05/22/13
I quit a year and a half ago when my doctor first suggested wls as an option for me. I had smoked for 18years. I used chantix it was a great aide, but found I still craved the action of smoking. I looked into nicotine free ecigarettes and found that great to get the action of smoking without actually doing so. I've since quit that as well, because although it is supposed to be safer I don't need the reminder of a habit I hated having. It's not easy, but I would wholly recommend it.

Monica

ShelleKarena
on 6/24/13 6:49 am
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Every surgeon I have spoken to required you to quit smoking before surgery and some insurance companies require it as well.  When I decided to have surgery I decided that I was going to quit smoking cigarettes. I started using an ecigarette/vaporizer. It allowed me to step down my nicotine intake. I am on the lowest level now before 0 nicotine. I will start 0 nicotine sometime this week.  I love my vape and it has been a great tool for me. All of my friends smoke and so do all of my siblings. This has allowed me to continue to hang out with them and has gotten them thinking about making the switch.

laughsalot64
on 6/24/13 8:55 am - CA
My surgeon reqires 6 weeks. I am on 8 and couldnt be happier this surgry will save my life in more ways than one !!!
atia
on 6/24/13 10:36 am - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13

Hi there,

I'm the odd duck out.  My surgeon didnt require me to quit nor did anesthsiologist.  I was honest with both of them.  My lung function(plf) test was great as was chest xray and labs pre surg.  I'm also 48 and wanted cardiac clearance.  Cardio did a stress test with contrast and all was well. 

My band surgeon in Nashville, Tn didnt require it either.  I know a lot of plastic surgeons do as they say smokers heal slower.

Yes, my next plan is to quit...one thing at a time for me.

tia

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views