10 Meatless High-Protein Foods

BREAZA
on 6/26/13 3:31 am, edited 6/26/13 3:38 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Stuff many of you already know but still good info. I'm not Vegetarian, but it's good to know of other sources of protein other than meat.

Eggs

Eggs

Protein: 6g per egg

Start your day off right with protein-packed eggs. This will give your morning a boost and fuel you until lunch. Cooking with eggs brings breakfast to a whole new level. Mix it up a bit with omelets and quiche or try cooking eggs scrambled, poached, hard-boiled, or sunny-side-up.

Cottage Cheese

Cottage Cheese

Protein: 13g per ½-cup 

Cottage cheese serves as great snack. It’s affordable, comes in reduced-fat versions, and also contains calcium to keep your bones strong. But you can also hide it in creamy dishes, or sub it out for ricotta cheese or sour cream in certain dishes too. Try combining with fresh veggies for a savory treat, or adding fruit and cinnamon for something more sweet.

Quinoa

Quinoa

Protein: 8g per 1 cup (cooked)

Pronounced KEEN-WAH, this wonder grain is not only high in protein but also low in cholesterol and a good source of iron and fiber. Eating quinoa often is a good idea for vegetarians or anyone looking for a healthy protein. Plus, some varieties only take 20 minutes to cook – you’ll know it’s done when it turns slightly translucent.

You can make quinoa salads, or use instead of rice for a higher protein whole-grain.

Pumpkin Seeds

Pumpkin Seeds

Protein: 7g per 1 oz 

Also known as pepitas, pumpkin seeds are a great grab-and-go snack or topping for salads and soups. While they are available year-round in stores, you can roast fresh seeds at home in fall, when pumpkins come into season. Nuts and seeds can be high in calories and fat so be mindful of your serving sizes.

Dried Beans

Dried Beans

Protein: 12g per 1 cup (black beans)

Dried black beans, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, and pinto beans are all delicious choices for low-fat, fiber-filled protein. Using dried beans allows you to control the sodium and additives that go into the dish. Soak dried beans overnight in a large bowl of water, rinse until the water runs clean, then simmer for 2 hours on medium/low heat to enjoy. Spice with cumin, garlic, red pepper, or other spices.

Soy Milk

Soy Milk

Protein: 8g per 1 cup 

While all soy, including tofu and soybeans, are excellent sources of protein, soy milk is convenient and versatile, making it the perfect thing to have around. In addition, some brands offer options that are fortifed with extra calcium. Chocolate flavors are available for when your sweet tooth strikes, vanilla is great in cereal and coffee, and original is a great substitute for baked goods and smoothies.

Greek Yogurt

Greek Yogurt

Protein: 15g per 6-oz container

Greek yogurt packs as much as double the protein as regular yogurt. It’s also thick, filling, tart, and less sweet than some regular varieties, all while staying in the low-calorie range. It’s great on its own, with fruit, or as a substitute for sour cream

Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter

Protein: 8g per 2 Tbsp 

Bring back this crunchy or creamy childhood favorite by spreading peanut butter on toast instead of butter for more protein to your morning routine. Also try using it in smoothies and baked goods, or just keep some stashed away with a package of whole-wheat crackers for when you belly is rumbling.

Seitan

Seitan

Protein: 18g per 3 oz serving

Seitan, AKA wheat-meat, is hailed by vegetarians because of its substantial texture and high protein. Unlike tofu, seitan is a meat substitute that mocks the texture of chicken, making it ideal for sandwiches, soups, or anywhere you would traditionally use meat.

Almonds

Almonds

Protein: 6g per 1 oz

Go nuts over almonds – the monounsaturated fats they contain have been shown to reduce heart disease. A serving size is about one handful of almonds, or 2 tablespoons of almond butter. Try sliced almonds on top of salads or create your own spice recipe to liven them up a bit.

Source: http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/protein-for-vege tarians-00412000078915/page2.html

acbbrown
on 6/26/13 3:45 am - Granada Hills, CA

With the exception of the greek yogurt and cottage cheese, most of those I wouldn't consider high protein. Just because there is some protein, it should be compared to the total overall calorie make up of the food. Almonds - id call those high fat, but not high protein lol.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

mimij
on 6/26/13 5:48 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I totally agree sister!

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

BREAZA
on 6/26/13 7:07 am, edited 6/26/13 7:16 am
VSG on 04/24/13

What would you consider high protein? I was sleeved 9 weeks ago so I'm still learning about what's good for the losing phase compared to maintenance phase, etc. Just when you think you're getting it right someone comes along and tells you nope. :) I still have a long ways to learn, but that's why I'm here...to get all the info. from you guys who have been there done that. Thanks!

acbbrown
on 6/26/13 7:46 am - Granada Hills, CA

It comes down to some silly mathmatical calculations really...

Carbs = 4 calories per gram

Protein = 4 calories per gram

Fat = 9 calories per gram

For example - boneless skinless chicken breast - 4oz has around 100 calories, 22g of protein. That means 22x4 - 88 out of those 100 calories are protein.

But almonds on the other hand - 1/4 cup serving has around 170 calories, and only 6 g of protein, meaning only 24 of those 170 calories are coming from a protein source (and with 15g of fat, 135/170 calories are coming from fat). So while there is "protein" - its relatively very little compared to the amount of fat and the amount of calories you are consuming.

For me, I follow a pretty simple rule/ratio of 10:1 when deciding whether to eat something. For every 10 calories, it should have at least 1g of protein (so if it's 100 calorie snack, it should have at least 10 g protein in it). Obviously for fruits veggies and grain that goes out the window, if I do eat them, but in general, i try to stick to that. (especially when looking at protein shakes and bars and things like that).

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

BREAZA
on 6/26/13 7:56 am
VSG on 04/24/13

That totally makes sense - thanks for the info!

happyteacher
on 6/26/13 11:51 am

I kept it simple...

1 gram of protein for every 10 calories.  It was a rule of thumb I used, but it worked really well.

So, for example, one of my favorite snacks Fibergourmet half calorie crackers (cinnamon) would not pass the sniff test:

1 bag, 70 calories, 12 grams fiber, 4 grams protein. 

In that instance I make an exception because I eat it for the fiber and not the protein per se.  

Greek yogurt does pass though, and lean chicken, etc.  

Some protein shakes do not pass the test.  Some protein bars don't either.  I would avoid those.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

slimpickins5280
on 6/26/13 5:42 am - CO

Hmmm...Eggs are meatless. Do the chickens know this? It could be debated wither way of course.

Edamame wasn't on the list. It's a decent amount of protein to carbs. I guess it could fall under soy milk.

I with Alison. IMO, most of these are maintenance foods - at least they are for me.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

BREAZA
on 6/26/13 6:38 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I'd say an egg yolk and whites in its state is not animal flesh (at least not yet), but is a good debate either way. ;-)

tiddles
on 6/26/13 12:33 pm
VSG on 05/09/13 with

I've copied the list and will use it further along when I'm in maintenance. I used to be vegetarian and would love to be again, although right now I must eat "dead animals" to get my protein in.

Thanks for the info.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views