Scared

sarahpillars2728
on 6/28/13 5:17 am - MI

Well ladies and Gents last week I went and did routine blood work because I finally got some kind of insurance and am seeing a new doctor, anyhow I got my blood work back and the dr wants to see me about the results I however cannot get into see her until the 8th and I have viewed them online and my A1c level was 7.5% I am afraid the dr is going to tell me that I am not diabetic.... I don't know what to do I am trying to calm my nerves this isn't a good thing on one hand it could help my disability case but on the other hand this is so not helping my body urrrrggg I cannot wait to finally have this surgery and make my body healthy again!!

NursingQueen
on 6/28/13 5:26 am - Philadelphia, PA
VSG on 08/26/13

I'm a nurse and your A1C is high which means you do have it. Go see your doctor and do what they ask to stay save. Most likely your diabetes will go away or be super under control when you have the surgery. My A1C was 5.9 and the doctor said I'm knocking at the door! Keep your head up!

Pre-Op: 257.6   Surgery: 241.6  Pre-op: 16  M1: 21.6  M2: 13.9

MsBatt
on 6/28/13 6:02 am

With an A1c that high, and weighing 485 pounds, I strongly urge you to consider getting the full Duodenal Switch instead of just the Sleeve. I'm not saying that the Sleeve isn't a good surgery, or that you won't/can't lose enough weight with it alone, or that you won't eventually get your diabetes under control with it. What I am saying is that the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It also has the best stats for resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol.

With so many insurance companies going to a 'one per lifetime' clause for WLS, it's always a good idea to be certain you're getting the best surgery for your needs the first time around. Please, go to the DS board and talk with some folks, especially those who have revised their Sleeve to a full DS. Also visit the Revision board here, and check out http://www.dsfacts.com.

I'm not pushing the DS on you---but I am pushing the idea that you should understand all your options and the pros and cons of each. Good luck to you!

Mom_2_4
on 6/28/13 6:19 am
VSG on 05/22/13

IF your A1c is over 6 you ARE diabetic.  So it will count as a comorbidity.  Under 6 is considered normal.

Elisa

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

Lisa1023
on 6/28/13 6:34 am
VSG on 03/05/13

sarah, at my top weight, 383, I had NO comorbidities, just the fact that I was 228 pounds overweight.  I was approved for surgery just based on this fact.  (it IS enough of a reason)

you are higher than my starting weight, so relax.  You got this.  You NEED THIS.

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

justpete
on 6/28/13 7:52 am
VSG on 04/02/13

sarah i have been following your posts and i know you are ready for surgery and i do not think that any lab tests are going to make someone disagree.  there are a host of health concerns that are correlated with excessive weight, and even if you don't have them now (because you are still young) ... you are at a very high risk of developing them in the future. even a lame, evil insurance company would agree.  ;)

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

sarahpillars2728
on 6/28/13 8:32 am - MI

I meant to say that I am afraid that the dr is going to tell me that I am diabetic!! I have the adult benefit waiver right now for insurance and it doesnt cover inpatient hospital stays I am currently waiting for my hearing in order to get disability so that I can have the right kind of insurance to get the surgery since right now I cannot work. So I am continuing with my goal of having surgery in the end, I am going to my first nut appointment next week!! and seeing the weight managment dr so I am taking the correct steps its just taking a really long time I cannot wait to be on the other side on the losers bench doing things I have never done before, and feeling better than ever!!

justpete
on 6/28/13 9:16 am
VSG on 04/02/13

oooo.  well even if you are diabetic it's not the end of the world (there are far more serious things out there) ... and like others have posted it will likely be controlled well with diet and a bit of exercise ... and once you get teh sleeve will be no problem.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

sarahpillars2728
on 6/28/13 9:59 am - MI

Thank You So much everyone!!

themexcellentone
on 6/28/13 10:10 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

My a1c was 7.5 when I was diagnosed with diabetes, so if its a diagnosis you're after, you'll likely get one. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Most Active