Are my goals unrealistic?

south494
on 6/28/13 6:00 pm - NC

Hi everyone, I am sitting here thinking...

I have lost 29 lbs so far in June.

I was wanting to know. Is setting the bar for thirty lbs a month too high of a goal? I had my surgery on the tenth of june.

According to my surgeon he is happy if i lose 5-10 lbs a month.

I havent really been able to exercise until now. I was just cleared to start again.

I figure if i lost 29 lbs without exercising then just imagine what i can do exercising...

Am i expecting that is something unrealistic?  I know as long as i keep my Protein, Water, first.

I am trying to see if i am out of my mind, or have a good idea for where I would like to be....Any advice is great!

SuzyNZ
on 6/28/13 6:36 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I'm afraid to tell you, but yes, you are being unrealistic.

Your first couple of months will probably be big, but you won't lose the same amount every month and each month your number will go down. And then there are stalls. most people have them, sometimes they can last a few weeks.

Everybody loses at diferrent rates depending on their start weight, body makeup, exercise etc. And the closer you get to goal and the less you have to lose, the slower it comes off, but you WILL get there if you are determined and stick to your plan.

It didn't go on in a couple of months and its not going to come off that quickly either. But it will happen and it's great!

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Nancybefree
on 6/28/13 7:56 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

What she said.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

happyteacher
on 6/28/13 10:51 pm

Expect a stall.  There will be a point where your body needs to adjust.  You may not lose any for a few weeks, and then suddenly lose a lot in a few short days or at least resume loss.  Prepare yourself mentally, because it will be hard if it happens.  As long as you know you are on plan just stay focused on that and wait it out.  

Your loss is going very well so far, congratulations!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 6/28/13 10:52 pm

Expect a stall.  There will be a point where your body needs to adjust.  You may not lose any for a few weeks, and then suddenly lose a lot in a few short days or at least resume loss.  Prepare yourself mentally, because it will be hard if it happens.  As long as you know you are on plan just stay focused on that and wait it out.  

Your loss is going very well so far, congratulations!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

CyndiGail
on 6/28/13 8:57 pm - Charlotte, NC
VSG on 06/17/13

Wow 30 pounds per month is not normal from what I've read. You might be amongst the rare few ;)

Good luck!

VSG (6/17/13) HW: 266 SW: 250 CW: 159

A. Kondrlik
on 6/28/13 9:47 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

I have been losing 10 lbs a month, but I think that is a little above the norm for a shortie like me.  That is with alot of exercise and no cheats. Every month I expect the rate to slow greatly, but it has not yet.

Follow your plan, exercise, be consistant and the weight will come of at the rate your body is comfortable with, Whatever that rate is. remember this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

sheranfour
on 6/28/13 9:57 pm

Hi!

Having lost 29 already is super great!!!

The simple way to answer your question is yes, that is too high a goal. A better is goal is LESS about the numbers on the scale and more about following your plan on a daily basis, standing up to the stalls that will be coming ( unfortunate, but a natural part of the process) and powering thru the events in your life that caused you to eat to gain before WLS ( Stress, anxiety, boredom etc).

The numbers on the scale are only one  way to measure the effectiveness of your management post op- but inches may tell a better story if you're into excercise. So many of us can see week long stalls on the scale, but losing inches is apparent in how things fit differently.

As a fellow responded already mentioned...weigh loss will slow down quite a bit as you continue your journey. This is natural. This is not a quick and easy fix...but use the search bar up top here, search some key words and you'll read all kinds of stories about stalls, and expectations.

Please just remember that the scale can be a big meanie some times and won't reflect the hard work you do. Hold your head high...keep working your sleeve...keep coming here...and you'll continue to be a great success!!!

Again...CONGRADS on the first month!!! Waht a great way to kick of your new you!!!!

Peace

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
Tracy D.
on 6/28/13 10:04 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hello - I'm pretty much a newbie at only 5 weeks out.  I don't know how tall you are or where you started but it might help to look at the profiles of a few other people to see what their experience was with losing.   That's what I did; it's really helpful when people post the amount they've lost per month in their signature lines. 

What I've noticed is that most people are having big drops the first month, a super slow down in month 2 and then it picks back up to an average rate.   Now, having said that, I think your surgeon is probably trying to keep your expectations in control by quoting "average" loss over a longer period of time.  But from what I've read on here, if you work your sleeve right and exercise faithfully, you can blow those averages out of the water!

Good luck  - excited to see your progress!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

south494
on 6/28/13 10:30 pm - NC

Hey everyone thank you for the time you took out to respond. I Just figured i would set the bar high, because i tend to do better if i have something to strive for. I will keep you posted of course.

@Tracer I do agree with you as far as my surgeon and his quoting...I am a school bus driver so i am out for summer, I had set a personal goal to be 75-100 lbs down by time i go back in Late august. I have been pretty successful pre op in achieving my goals. I was HW was 482 at NOVEMBER 28th. I was 438 on May 31st. June 10th SW i was 424. and Since surgery as of last night i was 409. I seem to be losing a little over a pound a day. Which of course is making me happy and also inspiring me to exercise. After surgery i had a horrid yeast infection/and thrush that made my skin tear so bad i couldn't walk or exercise. *dang antibiotics! but after many baking soda baths, and butt paste mixed with a & d ointment i am finally healed. I am 5'5 . I am starting my walking today. I still have to be careful of course when it comes to the strength training. Seeing my progress since the end of November has just showed me i can do this. I do now looking at it see that I would like to see myself at 30lbs a month but as you said and someone else too it is more about sticking to the plan, and faithfully exercising. BUT I KNOW I Can do it. Obesityhelp.com family is the best support system i have found. I am not one to beat my self if i don't meet that 30lbs loss goal. We will see where i end up. I will give it my all and continue to watch my eating.and fitness.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views