Weight loss phase - how to eat vegabables / watching carbs and insulin spikes

sarapilar
on 7/2/13 5:00 am, edited 7/2/13 5:04 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I am about 5 months out.  I am in weight loss now.  I was reading on this forum about someone eating low carbs veggies as a snack.  I was wondering, is it best to do this with a few bites of protein first, or should you just eat the low-carb veggie (asparagus, broccoli, green beans) by itself?  Will veggie as a snack spike insulin?  I've always heard to eat protein first, for all cases and all instances, to avoid an insulin spike. Thanks!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

danixbanani
on 7/2/13 5:09 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I would say it is probably better to stick to a higher protein snack but I don't think snacking on some veggies will unravel you.  You could make a greek yogurt veggie dip to pair with your veggies...or maybe some hummus?  Most will say hummus isn't the best because it does have a decent amount of carbs but if you're having only a little bit, it is adding protein to your veggies. 

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

happyteacher
on 7/2/13 5:11 am

I usually combine it with a little protein.  Helps the satiety factor and seems to be better at keeping my blood sugar levels steady.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

lsereno
on 7/2/13 1:16 pm - CA

I combine with protein too. Usually  its greek yogurt dip, slice of lunch meat (love lowfat ham rolled around asparagus spears) or low fat cheese. 

Lynda

sarapilar
on 7/2/13 1:18 pm
VSG on 02/21/13
How do I make the dip?
"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

happyteacher
on 7/2/13 11:44 pm

Lots of recipes online, but here is one that looks good.  It makes a lot, so adjust down, but maintain the ratios if you want less.  I would probably start with 8 ounces yogurt and then take only a quarter of the other ingredients and mix. 

32.5 to 35.3 ounces Greek yogurt
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
4 teaspoons garlic powder
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/yogurt-dip-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active