A little more informed today!!

sarahpillars2728
on 7/2/13 5:41 am - MI

Had my first SMA (Shared Medical Appointment) well two of them today, I feel a little better being a bit more informed I just need to digest all of this information given to me, I love that my weight management doctor has done the surgery so he knows what we are all going threw, I was told that the dr might end up doing gastric bypass on me now instead of the sleeve because I not have type 2 diabetes, Which I  am learning more and more about as I go.  If anyone has any information or things that yall think I should know please let me know and thanks for always listening!!

cookiebun
on 7/2/13 6:09 am - MA
VSG on 04/02/13

Why do they think the bypass is the better option with Type 2 diabetes.  I had type 2 as well and the sleeve was deemed the better/safer option. (after MUCH discussion)  I am not trying to dissuade you one way or the other, but just wondering what their thoughts are.

I'm not where I want to be, but I am closer than I was yesterday!

HW: 365 SW: 320

Lisa1023
on 7/2/13 6:11 am
VSG on 03/05/13

i was thinking the same thing.  my friend had wanted the sleeve, but Johns HOpkins Bariatrics recommended RNY to her instead because they claimed "people lost more with RNY" and that's just not completely true. 

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

Lisa1023
on 7/2/13 6:10 am
VSG on 03/05/13

we are always glad to listen Sarah!

So what's going on with the insurance though?  There was an issue with your insurance,  did the doctor give you a list of preop clearance checkups to have done?  are things moving along?

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

sarahpillars2728
on 7/2/13 8:16 am - MI

I have whats called the adult benefit waiver its a kind of Medicaid but it doesn't cover inpatient hospital stays, I am currently still pursuing my disability claim and have a lawyer for that so hopefully I should have my hearing soon and have a decision, with the new diagnosis of the diabetes I am filing again to see if I can get temporary state disability until I have the decision for my disability hearing if any of that makes any sense!

gloria P.
on 7/2/13 6:11 am - Fayetteville , AR
VSG on 01/06/12
Agree. I think rny is best for type 1. Keep researching.

happyteacher
on 7/2/13 6:15 am

Research it.  I was diabetic type II.  My surgeon gently suggested Rny because of this too.  I declined.  Rny will discourage you eating sugar and carbs due to dumping.  But for that to happen you trade malabsorption, more risk of complications, rerouting of intestines, restriction in types of meds you can take.  Overall, final results of weight loss are comparable in both surgeries.  You will really need to decide how much the dumping will be an asset for you in the journey.  Also, research if Rny is more or less effective in handling diabetes.  I am not sure either way, but mine is completely resolved with the sleeve.  Many posters here are fully resolved, others greatly reduce their medicine intake.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

SophieNJ
on 7/2/13 6:15 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

did you mean you 'now' have type 2 diabetes?  did you just find out, or did you know?  If you just found out and it's new/recent condition, doing a bypass just for that reason doesn't make sense to me.  often people can change their eating in the early stages and avoid diabetes.  I did.  And hubby had it for 15 yrs, he was sleeved a few months ago and doing wonderfully, off most of his meds.

Please do your research, and ask as many professionals as you can about this.  Good luck!!

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

Deckeriv
on 7/2/13 6:33 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

My A1C dropped from right on the borderline to comfortably in the normal range at my 3 month labs. RNY works, but rerouting your intestines seems like a terrible price.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

EliseG
on 7/2/13 8:53 am - MA

Just wanted to chime in that I also had type 2 before surgery. My A1C was pretty high, can't remember exactly what it was but definitely over 7. My latest A1C was 5.0

I've read that long term resolution for diabetes is not guaranteed with RNY either. I would definitely weigh your options especially if you were recently diagnosed.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views