Excess skin

sarahpillars2728
on 7/3/13 12:04 am - MI

Now that I am getting into this more the thought really hadn't ever entered my mind until last night but I am 27 will my skin bounce back or am I going to b left with a bunch of excess skin and have to fight the insurance company to cover the surgery I remember in the beginning at the seminar the dr saying something about insurance companies cover it if it gets in the way??? anyone have experience with this and have any ideas??

sleevegirl
on 7/3/13 12:10 am - Austin, TX

It depends on genetics, age, length of time you were obese and just plain luck.

Chances are, at your weight, you're going to have a good deal of skin to deal with. I wish I could candy coat that for you, but that's the reality. Me? I'm 38, was obese since kinder. My loose skin has loose skin. It's a big hot mess. I will eventually get skin removal surgery. I'm told insurance generally only covers the panni part so I'll self pay for all the rest - more debt, but I'm worth it.

I figure I choose how I react. I can either be miserable and have it filled with fat or I can feel amazing and deal with the skin.

There are parts of me that have loose skin that I didn't think would. I'm a mess naked, but I don't care. 223 pounds ago I was miserable in my own body. Now, I love myself.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

VSG on 06/12/13
My understanding is that skin stretchiness is based on genetics, amt of weight lost, and duration of being overweight. I have seen plenty of reports of people who have had insurance pay due to a medical condition e g uncontrolled rashes and breakdown. I am noticing some flabby areas but the doc assured me that my skin will catch up eventually. Here is a thought, though- some saggy skin at a healthy BMI is definitely better than no sag + morbidly obese!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Nikke2003
on 7/3/13 12:23 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13
Yes, you will certainly have excess skin. How bad it is, sure that can vary depending on genetics and what not, but the reality is that people that start at our weights really have no chance of good "bounce back"..it is a bummer, but much better than having the fat and being miserable.

I just reached the "halfway" point of weight loss and I can already see my skin sagging and the "batwings" making an appearance... so I know that despite being 28, there is no hope lol...definitely will have plastics in my future!!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

datachick
on 7/3/13 12:25 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Just a note for all: My massage therapist said that if/when you have skin removed, get massage on the scar as soon as you are able. It'll hurt but will keep the tissue from binding up and becoming a big hard lump, or at least help with that. She said it's something no doctor ever discusses, but she's had clients and friends who would have been served better if they'd done that.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Zee Starrlite
on 7/3/13 1:45 am, edited 7/3/13 1:45 am

Hey Sarah!

Considering all factors like age genetics, how long you've been overweight, where you carry your weight, how much excess weight you carry, whether or not you're smoker, using "magic" lotions, potions, motions,  etc. the main point is you are over 300lbs overweight there is no way to break it softly - that much stretched skin will not bounce back.  One step at a time.  First you will lose the weight then much later out you can begin considering whether or not you want skin removal surgeries.  but no way you could even trick yourself into believing that you will not have skin issues.

You will be fine.  It feels much better to have the extra skin than the extra fat.

All Best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

acbbrown
on 7/3/13 2:20 am - Granada Hills, CA

I have pre-PS pics to show how much loose skin I had after 230 lbs lost. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Rockabilly_kitty
on 7/3/13 1:04 pm

I am 27... i had my VGS alittle over a year ago.. things. Will. Sag! You loose weight so fast that good genes are nice, working out surely helps big time but i find mine still with alot of flack ( floppy loose gross skin/cottage cheese...attractive sounding i know right). Toning i find helped me a lot but everyone is so different. I wear a body wrap(spanks) most days, especially out or to work. I know , in canada, breast reduction and tummy tucks can sometimes be covered under health care..but i have no idea whats covered in the states

Most Active