I year post-op with pics and questions for vets

Latse
on 7/4/13 11:24 am, edited 7/4/13 11:25 am
VSG on 06/18/12

I will put the pics first cuz that's what I always wanted to see

photo 1year_zpsc58ae2c5.png

Ok, so I’m a little bit more then one year out.. Surgery date was 6/18/12

Highest Weight 340, Surgery Weight 306, Current Weight 195, Monthly losses are in my signature.

It has been a really crazy year with lots of ups and downs, and tons of victories.

Pluses

- I feel like I am living life now, not jus****ching it pass me by.  Extended family has made comments about how I participate a lot more at functions then I ever did before.

- I like to workout!!! OMG, not all kinds of workout mind you, this body still isn’t so great at running though I keep trying.  I love group classes, not solo workouts, or machines going no where. I really should work on the weight lifting though.

- To my delight and my husband’s horror, my feet shrunk, along with the rest of me, so now I get to buy all new shoes, and I have a very large shoe collection to restock.  Also being able to buy cloths in “normal stores” even though I still buy most of my stuff at thrift shops because I don’t feel I’m at goal yet.

- Having the strength to say no, No I don’t want to eat/drink what ever you are offering me, it isn’t because I don’t love you, it’s because I have chosen to omit / limit said item from my diet.

- Being ok with putting myself first sometimes. Over the last year I admit to being selfish, instead of rushing home after work to get my daughter I would have the hubby do it, so I could go to the gym.  I also haven’t cooked their favorite junk foods for the last year because frankly I don’t want the temptation.

Minuses –

-  I have always been a bad pill taker and it still holds true, I forget my vitamins most days and it shows in a lot of bad ways. 

- realizing that I have to rely totally on myself at home because hubby and daughter have no idea, and no desire to learn healthier lifestyle habits. Both of them are naturally clinically under weight without even trying … soooo unfair.

- 4 months after VSG I had gallbladder surgery… why can’t they just take them both out together, they know there is a high probability of gallbladder problems after bariatric surgery. I feel like I lost a lot of workout/weight loss time recovering from this.

- I miss my veggies and fruit to the point that I can’t even put a few bites on my plate until AFTER I have eaten my protein, & meat is getting really boring at this point.

- Constipation

Questions for Vets.

- I’m frustrated that at a year out I’m not at goal yet, I feel the last 2 months or so I have been bouncing between the same 6 pounds on the scale, and that would be find if I wanted to maintain this weight but I don’t.  My surgeon’s goal is 180, but my personal goal is 160.  (in my head I see a loss of 10+lb of skin/libo from plastics, that will put me at 150, the high end of the BMI chart for my height of 5’6.5”) Am I being unrealistic with my goal?

- I started right in on the 600-800 calorie, 20-40g carb 80-100g protein diet after surgery and I use to struggle to meet the minimum goals and now I am struggling to stay under the maximum.  I do have some return of physical hunger, but not unless I haven’t eaten for 12+ hours. Restriction is still good unless it’s carby things like crackers. Should I look at lowering my maximum goals to help jump start the weight loss again? Like I said before, I feel like I’m maintaining, not losing anymore.

- Once I do hit my goal, how do I go about plastic constants? I’m 100% sure that I will have to self pay, sorry no sores/rashs under my apron here.  Last weekend an aunt, that hasn’t seen my since Christmas, made a comment about how I’m losing nicely up top, but how she sees I still have a lot of work left on the bottom.. REALLY like I’m trying to lose it unevenly?  I’m sure she was referring to the saddlebag and lower abdomen area, can this be fixed with plastics? Or is it all up to exercise?

With all the ups and downs I would do it all gain in a heartbeat!!

Starting/Highest Weight 340, Surgery Weight 306,
Post op:
M1-20lb, M2-14, M3-15, M4-11, M5-10, M6-10, M7-8, M8-4, M9-4, M10-5

Lisawithboys
on 7/4/13 11:32 am

Way to go!! Thank for your post it is fun to read the inspirational stories.

teachernikki
on 7/4/13 12:25 pm - Lewiston, ME

You rock! We are both about the same weight (well you were!) Gives me inspiration as to what my next year could be like! Keep it up!!

-Nikki

HW: 330 ~  SW: 312 ~ CW: 282

Latse
on 7/5/13 1:15 am
VSG on 06/18/12

In the beginning I too got very inspired by others before/during/after photos.  Just remember not to compare yourself to anyone else.  We all loose at different rates due to diets, exercise and metabolism.

Post op:

Pobearsam7
on 7/4/13 12:41 pm

You look great

Kelly                

lil1inside
on 7/4/13 12:44 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

You look amazing!  Congratulations!!!!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

tigerbelle
on 7/4/13 1:04 pm - LA
VSG on 05/06/13

congrats...and great results angry  sorry, I am not a vet and only 7 weeks out so I can't help with your questions

frisco
on 7/4/13 2:48 pm

First off..... Congrats on a great year !!!

You have done great..... that's a lot of weight to lose and you did it !!!!

Second...... you know what's up..... you don't lose that kinda weight without knowing what's going on.......

My guess is that you already know what you have to do and what has put you into maintenance.....

If you want a suggestion to resume your WL....... try this:

RESTART-REBOOT

Start with a fresh clean blank page.......

Just think how much more you know about this WHOLE process now..... than when you first started..... you are much more educated about WL and how to work the sleeve.

Start fresh !!!! with more knowledge and power !!!!

Try this for 2 solid weeks..... no cheats, if and's or buts..... do this for you and I think you will find your answer......

- under 800cals a day

- less than 40 grams carbs

- protein more than 80

- fluids over 64oz.

- walk for an hour a day

As for veggies..... try veg only snacks.

As for fruit..... if your gonna eat it..... count the sugar cals. and know that sugar "can" stimulate hunger.

To lose the last 20lbs. I had to go closer to the 600cals a day......

If you want it...... it may get real ugly and you may have to get "old school" and fight dirty for it.......

It's all you !!!!

frisco

*** Suggestion of a popular/successful VSG WL plan was given to someone stuck and asking for help. 

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Latse
on 7/5/13 1:30 am
VSG on 06/18/12

In my head I knew it would get harder the closer to goal I got, it is just so frustrating that the scale doesn't move down as fast as it did in the beginning.

I'm going to go back to month 2-3-4 post op food diaries and remind myself how I should be eating, I'm sure there is crap that has worked it's way back in that shouldn't be there.

Also gym time has been slacking this summer, so many functions going on.

Old school down and dirty, are we talking pre/post op liquids for a couple of weeks again, I could do it, wont like it, but I can do it.

Post op:

frisco
on 7/5/13 3:47 pm

I'm not a believer in the liquid diet for more than a day or two........

More than that seems so unnecessary and pure torture..... it was necessary after surgery for healing purposes.

2.5oz. of chicken and some spinach sounds so much better than a third or forth shake of the day.

Maybe one day of shakes to jumpstart the process and than one in the morning after the first day.

Just eat clean good food in the proper portions and nutrition goals like I listed above.

You know what's up !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views