Therapist

jlynn1025
on 7/12/13 5:23 am

I'm looking to find a therapist now so that I have someone to talk to through this journey.  I'm wondering how you would recommend finding one.  My surgeon's office didn't have any recommendations.  I did a google search and found some that treat people with eating disorders.  Not sure what else to search for.  Any help would be appreciated.  

claimmaster
on 7/12/13 5:32 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I think your search was spot on.  Just remember that some therapists are great, and some suck.  If the first one doesn't do it for you, press on to the next, and the next if you have to.  I think it's the MOST important part of this journey for me.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Cusscusscutie
on 7/12/13 6:24 am - MA

Did you have to see a psychologist during surgery process?  I had too and i have access to her free of charge for life.  As well as a physiologist and a nutritionist.  

Calking
on 7/12/13 6:53 am
VSG on 05/31/12

I was one of those crazy people that didn't have a support group nor a therapist.  But I guess if I were looking to find one I might try going to a local support group and asking around during my first meeting there.  

I am willing to bet that your surgeon's office does have a support group that is either directly or indirectly linked to that office.  If that isn't the case then I would post another question to this forum to find out if anybody knows of a support group in your area.

I would have to think that if you went to a support group that at least one of the people in that group if not the group leader would have ideas of therapists that they have used or would recommend.

Also if you currently have insurance you may be able to contact them either via phone or their website and find therapists that they will cover ... if they do indeed cover any.

Just some thoughts.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

theshrinkingmimi
on 7/12/13 12:51 pm

Ask your family doctor. I got a great name from a nutritionist working with a hospital weight loss program.

Check the doc's websites to see what their specialties are.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views