Do calories from coconut oil get absorbed through the skin?

Ihearttennis
on 7/13/13 9:46 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

In the past two weeks I have been using coconut oil, and a lot of it.  I am not ingesting it, but I have been slathering it on liberally and I love the improvements already in my hair and skin.  My teenage son asked me today if I was logging in the calories on MFP since it is absorbing into my skin.  Well no, I haven't been, but now I wonder if I should.  Does anyone know if the calories should be noted? Thanks

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

themexcellentone
on 7/13/13 9:51 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Your skin isn't digesting the oil, so I say no.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

lsereno
on 7/13/13 11:36 am - CA

Oils applied to the skin are not absorbed in the same way as food you eat. Slather away!

Lynda

Ihearttennis
on 7/13/13 1:59 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Thank you!!!

Missdede
on 7/13/13 2:46 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12

It's funny you would ask that because a couple of years ago I went on the Bernstein Diet and the Dr there told me not to use any coco oil or butter on my skin because our bodies absorb the calories.  I thought that sounded like a crock at the time!

Carmelita
on 7/14/13 9:28 pm, edited 7/14/13 9:29 pm - Four Corners, NM

Hire a teenager while they still know everything? lol 

Yeah Im sure a few calories make way into the blood stream....India did that study with preemies/babies where they massaged em daily with coco oil (big biz in India!) ...n they gained weight...but Ive used coco oil for everything cooking to face moisturizer, will eat a spoon of it if Im cookin sometime...lol its a great chemical/perservative free. mosturizer...its anti-bacterial/fungal  for years

As a moisturizer...I would ONLY wish...I could put some weight on...cuz I surely miss my fat fuller younger lookin face  

What about brushing our teeth, mouthwash, lip balm, makeup, sunscreen, perfumes (ambergris), scent of delicious pastries walkin past a bakery..oh yeah calories in smells!  its a gas right ,-) topical meds, lotions, creams ...

then don't forget to deduct the COLLAGEN protein you ingest when ya eat any meat...because our bodies don't absorb collagen...and its NOT a complete protein...or sumthin like that some VSGrs say.

then don't forget that the whole A****er calorie counting system...is BROKEN anyway...and too huge to fix it...IRREPARABLE...

then and then and then....lmao  Where does this insanity end?... uggh  

I love coconut oil. Im using it...calories be damned.  Tell junior...he's so dog gone adorable ...Bill Gates make way! 

Ihearttennis
on 7/14/13 11:19 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Carmelita,  your posts always make me smile. Thanks for responding. I will continue to  slather away and hope for the best. You are  so right about teenagers:)  my oldest (17) is so supportive of my  weight loss. He is drinking protein shakes and has become my personal trainer. My youngest (15) still tries to sneak doughnuts into my shopping cart.  

WalterMonroe
on 7/27/21 4:46 am

2005: Transcutaneous absorption of topically massaged oil in neonates

Objective: To study the transcutaneous absorption of traditionally massaged oil in newborns and to specifically compare the effects of ****ssential fatty acid (EFA) rich - safflower oil and (ii) saturated fat rich coconut oil, on fatty acid profiles of massaged babies.

Design: A short term randomised controlled study.

Setting: Tertiary care NICU of a large teaching hospital and a research laboratory of a University complex.

Methods: 120 study babies were randomly assigned to three oil groups (i) safflower oil (n = 40) (ii) coconut oil (n = 40) and (iii) no oil controls (n = 40). In each group, babies were selected in three subsets as per their gestational ages viz (a) less than 34 weeks, (b) 34-37 weeks, (c) greater than 37 weeks. 5 mL of the designated oil was massaged four times a day for five days under controlled conditions of temperature and feeding. Pre and post oil massage samples of blood were analysed for triglycerides and fatty acid profiles using gas chromatography.

Results: Post oil triglyceride values were significantly raised in both the oil groups and also in controls. However, the quantum of rise was significantly higher in oil groups as compared to controls. Fatty acid profiles (gas chromatography) showed significant rise in EFAs (linolenic acid and arachidonic acid) in safflower oil group and saturated fats in coconut oil group. Changes were more evident in term babies. There were no side effects associated with the massage.

Conclusions: This study shows that topically applied oil can be absorbed in neonates and is probably available for nutritional purposes. The fatty acid constituents of the oil can influence the changes in the fatty acid profiles of the massaged babies.

Most Active