b-12

rbrown116
on 7/14/13 8:56 am - IA
VSG on 08/08/13

My surgeon's office suggests that we have sublingual b-12, however when I bought mine I just bought one gummy kind and a big bottle of regular pills. Is there a specific reason why it has to be sublingual? I don't really want to go and buy more b-12 when I have 2 bottles of pills and gummies that haven't been used. 

I tried to find other posts on here pertaining to this for VSG but wasn't able to find much. 

HW: 330lbs, SW: 307.2, GW: 140lbs
Surgery: VSG  Date: August 8th, 2013
Month 1-25.6, Month 2-13.8

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/13 8:59 am - Melrose, MA
VSG on 03/11/13

I think the absorption is better when taking sublingual b12. But I'm not 100% on that. My surgeon also want s me to take it that way. 

themexcellentone
on 7/14/13 9:09 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Sublingual vitamin B12 is absorbed much better than B12's that you chew up. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/13 9:20 am

You must use a sublingual B12 supplement. The reason is that B12 requires "intrinsic factor"  or "gastric intrinsic factor" to be properly digested and absorbed in the small intestine. This intrinsic factor is produced in the part of the stomach that has been removed from your body. The sublingual pills get absorbed directly into the blood stream, bypassing the digestive tract all together.

You can look up how this all works, but that is the very short, concise version.

So that you understand how critical it is to take the B12 sublingually I'm including a list of symptoms and long term effects of a B12 deficiency.

A deficiency of vitamin B12 can lead to vitamin B12 deficiency anemia. A mild deficiency may cause only mild, if any, symptoms. But as the anemia worsens it may causes symptoms such as:

• weakness, tiredness or light-headedness  
  • rapid heartbeat and breathing
  • pale skin
  • sore tongue
  • easy bruising or bleeding, including bleeding gums
  • stomach upset and weight loss
  • diarrhea or constipation

If the deficiency is not corrected, it can damage the nerve cells. If this happens, vitamin B12 deficiency effects may include:

• tingling or numbness in fingers and toes
  • difficulty walking
  • mood changes or depression
  • memory loss, disorientation, and dementia

B12 deficiency in infants, if not detected and treated, can lead to severe and permanent damage to the nervous system. New mothers who follow a vegetarian diet should have their babies' B12 levels checked by a doctor.

charmedaz
on 7/14/13 10:11 am

what about b12 shots monthly?

Dr. Joya:    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialdrjoya

Twitter: https://twitter.com/drjoyadotcom

abbeycat43
on 7/14/13 10:54 am - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

I take a weekly nose spray.  Thought I would do better with remembering weekly (every Saturday) than every day.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views