After Surgery...

Maggie73
on 7/16/13 4:13 am - Burleson, TX
VSG on 07/22/13

I have a couple questions, as my surgery is coming up next monday....and I'm sure I will have more but...

...what did you wear home from the hospital?

....did you need a sports bra at the hospital or afterwards?

...did you take a shower in the hospital?

...how long was it until you could wear jeans again?

~ Maggie  (Age: 40  Height: 5'7")    

SURGERY DATE: 7/22/2013

START: 254.6 - SURGERY: 246.4 - GOAL: 160 - CURRENT: 155  

defygravity
on 7/16/13 4:17 am - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

...what did you wear home from the hospital? ... I wore a maxi dress to and from the hospital, nothing around the middle.

....did you need a sports bra at the hospital or afterwards? I didn't wear a bra the entire time I was there, put it on when I left, took it off when I got home.

...did you take a shower in the hospital? ... I took a shower the day after surgery.

...how long was it until you could wear jeans again? ... I haven't worn jeans (too hot), but I put a pair of shorts on for the first time this morning to go to my drs appt.  Incisions are higher than where the waistband is.

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

durangomom
on 7/16/13 4:25 am - Louisville, KY

I had my surgery last Monday. I wore a gown and robe home from the hospital, with no undergarments.

I did not take a shower. I had my surgery Monday afternoon and was home by Tuesday evening. I just waited until I got home. I have not tried to wear jeans yet. It's too hot anyway :)

Hope this helps!

Birdie55
on 7/16/13 4:42 am

I wore sweatpants and a loose tshirt to the hospital with a stretchy bra.  Tool a clean pair of underwear with me and wore the same clothes home with the clean undies.  

I was only in the hospital overnight so did not shower until I got home.  I can;t remember how long it was to wear jeans....it's been too long. 

Put a pillow in the car to put over your abdomen under the seatbelt for the way home.   And chapstick.  I took a book to read but mostly slept. I traveled very light and that made it easier.  

Oh, I did have to take my ID and a credit card with me for the discharge prescriptions.  I wore slip on shoes too.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Tracy D.
on 7/16/13 4:44 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

1.  I wore loose workout pants and a t-shirt home, regular bra and underwear

2.  Didn't wear a bra post-op until after my first shower (and it wasn't a sports bra, just a regular one)

3.  Yes!  I had my sleeve on Friday and showered both Saturday and Sunday

4.  I wore jeans that were loose around the tummy within just a few days of surgery, but the waistband was lower than my incisions.  I'm 7 weeks out now and I still don't like anything super-tight around my waist area. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

sleevegirl
on 7/16/13 4:52 am - Austin, TX

I wore the same thing home that I wore there. Loose cotton pants and a comfy t-shirt. I only wore it for a couple of hours the day before and I didn't want to take anything else with me. Trust me, you will care NOTHING about what you're wearing. LOL

I didn't wear a bra for about a month. I'm not large chested and it bugged the incision that sat at my bra line.

I did take a shower the night of my surgery. They weren't thrilled but they could choose to help me or not. In the end, hubby helped me shower late that night.

Jeans... I think it was about 3 weeks or so. I didn't wear jeans very often, but mainly because I was size 34 so that size is hard to find (size 8/10 is much easier!)

Biggest piece of advice... don't take too much. Like I said, I wore the same thing home (slip on shoes too), I used my chapstick, my phone with charger, my kindle to read and that was basically it.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

melaniecambrelen
on 7/16/13 5:08 am - Kearny, NJ

I agree with Sleevegirl.  You will not care a thing about what you're wearing after the surgery. 

My sleeve was on July 3rd.  I wore a maxi dress to and from the hospital.  I stayed in my hospital gown and robe during my stay.  My tummy feels almost back to normal, just a bit of soreness sometimes.  My incisions are all healed.  No jeans yet, I still don't want any pressure against my tummy.  If you forget the chapstick, just rub ice on your lips.  (Heaven!)

Good luck and hope all goes well!

Christyb17
on 7/16/13 5:50 am - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13

...what did you wear home from the hospital? I wore black elastic waisted pants and a tshirt

....did you need a sports bra at the hospital or afterwards? I didnt wear one the first day, but when I put on regular clothes the next day I wore one

...did you take a shower in the hospital? I didnt, but my roommate did. I had a bad nurse and hers was on top of the game.

...how long was it until you could wear jeans again? I wore jeans probably at 2 weeks after surgery. But I had to unbutton them and fold them down because it rubbed against an incision. Once the incision healed I started to button again.

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

Cindy B.
on 7/16/13 5:59 am
VSG on 10/22/12

...what did you wear home from the hospital? I wore a pair of pajamas home from the hospital (for the 6 hour ride!) I'm sure I was a site stopping and walking around, but I really didn't care and neither did my husband!

....did you need a sports bra at the hospital or afterwards? I started wearing a bra the day after surgery with my pajamas. Just a regular one at it's loosest notches.

...did you take a shower in the hospital? Yes, I took a shower the morning after my surgery in the hospital. It was heavenly! I had my husband help instead of a nurse.

...how long was it until you could wear jeans again? I started wearing jeans about 3 weeks after my surgery. By then they were all getting loose so it didn't really bother my stomach or the incisions at all.

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Jennifer L.
on 7/16/13 6:00 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I am going to disagree with a few here who said you wont care what you are wearing post-op... because I cared. lol And if you are asking, then you might care a bit too. enlightenedhaha 

I am almost a week out, so in terms of jeans, I havent even tried. I tried my jean shorts while I was in mexico but I was SO swollen after surgery I gave up on that. 

To the hospital I did wear stretchy comfy pants and a loose shirt (nothing fancy). However, since I was in Mexico, I have my whole suitcase with me. When I left, I wore my dress pants (which are nice and loose... no buttons... almost like stretch pants, just MUCH nicer... haha) and I wore a stretchy nice top. On my flight home a couple days after surgery I wore my dress pants, a bandu top (no idea how thats spelled) and my work jacket. It was nice for me to look good when I didn't feel 100%. 

I have a stretchy bra I wore afterwards when resting (I dont do sports bras... they hurt me) and I wore my regular one too. 

I did showed in the hospital, twice! Felt sooo nice.crying

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views