Q-ball for pain...anyone?

abbeycat43
on 7/16/13 10:58 am - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

I am 4+ weeks post-op and I keep seeing people post that they are in pain after surgery and I've yet to see anyone mention the Q-ball.  My surgeon "installed" the Q-ball and it was FAB-U-LOUS!!! A tiny little incision was made just below my right breast, at the top part of my belly (and I mean tiny...I have cat scratches that are worse than this little spot) I only had one incision but I think if you have the 4-5 they can insert the tubes through one of those incisions...anyway, two tiny tubes were inserted and directed to the abdominal wall on both sides.  It was taped down securely so those tubes were not coming out by accident...I then had a ball of pain meds (about the size of a softball) that was delivered to my abdominal wall for 4 days...1 day in the hospital and 3 days at home. The ball was placed in a zippered pouch that I wore around my neck when walking and moving about...it was kind of a "pain", but seriously worth the inconvenience.  As the ball emptied, it collapsed and shrunk up.  At the end of 3 days, you just gently pull on the tiny tubes and remove them and life is good. You don't even feel them coming out...I am a pretty squeamish person and really didn't think I would be able to remove them...but it seriously was so simple. I'm not sure insurance will cover the cost (all the claims have not been processed), but definitely made my recovery a breeze and worth the expense out of pocket if need be.

themexcellentone
on 7/16/13 11:11 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with
I had one too and it was freakin' sweet!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Joy M.
on 7/16/13 1:59 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

I hope I get that it sounds great

lunarose
on 7/16/13 2:26 pm - Newhall, CA

I had it too. It was a brand new thing three years ago so maybe it just hasn't gotten out there.

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/13 2:44 pm
On July 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM Pacific Time, abbeycat43 wrote:

I am 4+ weeks post-op and I keep seeing people post that they are in pain after surgery and I've yet to see anyone mention the Q-ball.  My surgeon "installed" the Q-ball and it was FAB-U-LOUS!!! A tiny little incision was made just below my right breast, at the top part of my belly (and I mean tiny...I have cat scratches that are worse than this little spot) I only had one incision but I think if you have the 4-5 they can insert the tubes through one of those incisions...anyway, two tiny tubes were inserted and directed to the abdominal wall on both sides.  It was taped down securely so those tubes were not coming out by accident...I then had a ball of pain meds (about the size of a softball) that was delivered to my abdominal wall for 4 days...1 day in the hospital and 3 days at home. The ball was placed in a zippered pouch that I wore around my neck when walking and moving about...it was kind of a "pain", but seriously worth the inconvenience.  As the ball emptied, it collapsed and shrunk up.  At the end of 3 days, you just gently pull on the tiny tubes and remove them and life is good. You don't even feel them coming out...I am a pretty squeamish person and really didn't think I would be able to remove them...but it seriously was so simple. I'm not sure insurance will cover the cost (all the claims have not been processed), but definitely made my recovery a breeze and worth the expense out of pocket if need be.

I wouldn't have needed it.  I didn't use any pain meds beyond the day after surgery.

There are actually class action lawsuits regarding that device, there are hospitals that refuse to use them, there are doctors that refuse to use them, the FDA made them change their warnings to physicians and patients.  Might want to google it.

abbeycat43
on 7/17/13 7:21 am - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

I actually researched it before surgery and talked to my surgeon.  I haven't found one mention of bariatric surgery in the lawsuits...the lawsuits are regarding joints, mainly the shoulder, and issues with the cartilage which causes great pain and what I found they requested a class action lawsuit but because there were so many differences in the medication, dosages, how they were inserted, etc, they couldn't lump them all together.  Here's one excerpt with the link to the website...I found many others...on the FDA website, they list this as an Adverse Reaction, I haven't found anything relating any issues with a bariatric surgery.

In November 2009, the FDA warned health care professionals that the use of pain pumps following surgery to continuously infuse medication in this manner has been linked to problems with chondrolysis of the shoulder. The FDA required the manufacturers of the local anesthetics and makers of the pumps to add new warnings about the risk of chondrolysis, particularly involving the shoulder.

Hundreds of shoulder pump lawsuits are currently pending in different state and federal courts throughout the country, with several other shoulder surgery pump trials scheduled throughout 2010.

In August 2008, The U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation denied a request to consolidate and centralize all federal cases before one judge in an MDL, or multidistrict litigation. At that time, the MDL panel found that consolidating the cases was not appropriate because the shoulder pump litigation involved a number of different manufacturers of pain pumps and different medications used in the devices.

- See more at: http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/shoulder-pain-pump-trial-verdict-against-i-flow-7808/#sthash.F3SPIvHU.dpuf

lil1inside
on 7/16/13 11:30 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

I must say I was AMAZED at this invention, and I'd never want another surgery without it.  I took only one oral pain med in the hospital and this could of NEVER happened without this Que Ball.  I would of been sickish, out of it and other side effects of some pain medicines, had I not had this.  I was able to get back to a normal routine quickly (and had to since my hubby had surgery right after I came home).  I just can't say enough good things about this remarkable device!!!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

abbyluwho
on 7/17/13 12:56 am - kc, MO
VSG on 06/25/13 with

Mine was called an On-Q pump, and while I thought it was nifty, it's was cumbersome lol!  I think I would have rather just been  little uncomfortable as opposed to attached to the thing.  I was very thankful that I have a daughter who was able to help me shower!   Other than that ball, I did not ask for any pain meds after surgery.  I almost fainted trying to pull the tubes out, so I suggest a person sit while doing it. 

I've had laprascopic surgery with one, and with out one, and my opinion is it would all depend upon a persons pain tolerance. 

pineview01
on 7/17/13 8:18 am - Davison, MI

Sounds like as big a pain as the drain.  I didn't need it as I had them stop the morphine pump after a few pushes.  I made me sick to the stomach.  Other than the ride home from the hospital and the first two nights just in case to sleep better, no pain meds.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views