Does anybody lie about having had surgery?

Bella Italiana
on 7/18/13 8:28 am
VSG on 08/17/13

This is my first post on the board, although I've been reading for a while.  I just scheduled my surgery for August 17th with Dr. Aceves.  The only two people in the world that know I'm doing this are my sister and my mom (coming with me).  I'm a pretty private person, and don't feel like most of my friends/ extended family need to know what I'm doing.  Truthfully, I'm sick of being judged for my weight all my life, and I don't look forward to the inevitable judgment when I tell people I had weight loss surgery.  I have gone up and down in weight many different times, so people are used to me dieting.  

My question is this:  has anyone just flat out lied to people who asked "How did you lose the weight"?  I mean, is it possible to keep the surgery private and just say you did Atkins or something?  Or is it too obvious?

stephanieplum
on 7/18/13 8:36 am
VSG on 06/27/12

At this point in my life I really don't care what people think.  Granted I didn't shout my surgery from the roof tops or post it on Facebook.  However, if people ask me I tell them I had weight loss surgery.  I've only had one negative response and that was from my gallbladder surgeon.  My family and close friends all knew.  I needed their support.  It really is a personal decision.  You have to decide what's best for you.  I just thought this was easier.  Good luck!

CROSS6901
on 7/18/13 8:36 am

It is possible to keep the surgery a secret.  I did for nearly a year and a half.  When people asked what I was doing to lose the weight I would just say paying more attention to what I am eating and focusing more on healthy foods.  Which wasn't a lie... it just wasn't the whole truth.  What I found after a year or so was that I was okay with people knowing and asking questions and I was totally educated and ready to handle those who thought I had taken the easy way.  Good luck to you.

Carla
Bella Italiana
on 7/18/13 8:40 am
VSG on 08/17/13

Thank you!  Yes, I hope to get to the point where A) I don't care what people think or say, and B) I feel confident enough in my decision to tell people the truth when they ask.  At the beginning though, I know it's not going to be easy, and I would rather not have to justify myself to my friends and family (I have a very opinionated Italian family -- very loving, but very opinionated) every step of the way!

Marioksig
on 7/18/13 9:05 am - Santa Clara, CA

I don't typically, but when I don't feel like explaining the whole thing my simple response to their question of how did you do it... Diet and exercise.... which is 100% truth!

100 LBS gone in 3 Months! - 150 LBS gone in just over 5 Months! 

200 LBS gone in just under 9 Months!

Please Check out my blog:
www.sheddingounces.net  

Sarah W.
on 7/18/13 9:07 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
Yes to work and friends I'm on the Atkins diet. Stuff my boss and others have said.

Immediate family only but not even siblings or brother in law.

Not because I want to hide but just wanted to keep it personal.

And today's the first day my face is on here. Hello world!

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

lucy2e
on 7/18/13 9:21 am - Laurel, MD

I was an open book.  but there are people who keep it private.  You have to do what is right for you!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

OregonGuy2012
on 7/18/13 10:03 am
VSG on 04/04/13

Too obvious in my opinion.  Loosing nearly 90 pounds in a short period of time is a little too hard to convince someone you just started eating better.  I just tell those who ask.  Most of the time they are looking at getting something done and just want some verification that you felt it was worth it.

happyteacher
on 7/19/13 1:24 am

Hmm... I don't think I agree.  If you look at my signature I do not have month after month of huge losses.  Most monthly numbers are around 10 pounds or so.  This is not a terribly fast rate, and in fact is slower than weight loss rates I experienced pre-op on failed diets.  The difference is the consecutive months which add up to a huge number previously unrealized.  And of course most importantly being able to  maintain it.  We have some posters that have a crazy amount lost (Ryan- 160 pounds in 4 months) but I think my rate is more typical.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/13 8:14 am
On July 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM Pacific Time, happyteacher wrote:

Hmm... I don't think I agree.  If you look at my signature I do not have month after month of huge losses.  Most monthly numbers are around 10 pounds or so.  This is not a terribly fast rate, and in fact is slower than weight loss rates I experienced pre-op on failed diets.  The difference is the consecutive months which add up to a huge number previously unrealized.  And of course most importantly being able to  maintain it.  We have some posters that have a crazy amount lost (Ryan- 160 pounds in 4 months) but I think my rate is more typical.  

150# in 8 months is not a huge loss?  Really?  I have yet to meet a WLS person that doesn't want faster weight loss. ;o)  We want it all off yesterday.

Do you think most people doing it on their own lose this fast?  Anyone can lose 20# on a fad diet but thing is, they regain it.

It is a personal decision to tell or not to tell.  But the reality is, 150# in 8 months is huge, massive, and to be rewarded.  But don't think people won't know.  They do.  Maybe a better response is that it is a personal medical issue between you and your doc.  When people are confronted with prying they become embarrassed and quickly drop the topic.

Most Active