Customize Goals in MyFitnessPal?

abbeycat43
on 7/20/13 10:55 am - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

Has anyone been successful in customizing your goals in MFP?  I sent them feedback about being able to customize the nutritional needs for bariatric patients...this is their response...but because it changes based on percentages, I haven't been able to find the right combo...maybe it just isn't possible, but has anyone else tried?  I also sent them feedback that it would be nice to see the total amount of weight lost via my iPhone app... :0)   Is it wrong to want my technology to do it all?

Thanks for getting back in touch, ask and you shall receive! If you are following a different recommended plan from your doctor or nutritionist, you can change some of your goals within our mobile apps, and additional goals by logging into our website at http://www.myfitnesspal.com. Mobile app users should log in using the same username and password they use in the app.

Once you've logged in, click "My Home", then "Goals", then "Change Goals", and choose the "Custom" option. On that page, you can change your individual nutritional goals. When you have finished please make sure you click the "Change Goals" button at the bottom of the page. If you are also using a MyFitnessPal mobile app, those changes will be reflected in the app the next time the app syncs.

MyFitnessPal distributes fat, carb and protein calories based on a percentage, in five percent increments. If you customize your macronutrient goals, all three goals will adjust to total 100%. If you have a very precise goal, in grams, for protein, carbs, or fat, you may only be able to come close to setting that goal, based on the nearest percentage. If you wish to track a specific gram goal, we recommend monitoring the "total" value in your diary for this nutrient, rather than the "remaining" total.

Once you have changed your goals, do not update any information in your "profile" section, or the custom goals will be defaulted back to the program's goals. You can update your weight in the "progress" section. 

Please note that your goals will update once you add exercise in the cardiovascular section for a given day: your exercise calories will be added to your goal for the day, distributed according to your chosen nutrient ratio.

If you are using one of our mobile apps, you can adjust your Net Calorie goal (but not all of your individual nutrient goals) in the app itself. On the "More" page ("Settings" in the Menu Drawer on Android) select "Edit Profile" ("Fitness Profile" in Android) and scroll down to "Net Calorie Goal."

We set your nutritional target in Net Calories which we define as:
Calories Consumed (Food) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Net Calories

This means that if you exercise, you will be able to eat more for that day. For example, if your Net Calorie goal is 2000 calories, one way to meet that goal is to eat 2,500 calories of food, but then burn 500 calories through exercise.

Think of your Net Calories like a daily budget of calories to spend. You spend them by eating, and you earn more calories to eat by exercising. We do not recommend that any member consume fewer than 1200 net calories on any given day.

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/13 11:08 am
VSG on 06/10/13

I've customized my goals per my bariatric surgeon directions, but MFP keeps bumping the levels up. It just means that I can't use that tool. Wish I could, but oh well. According to the email they sent you, it sounds like they don't want to condone unusual levels that they disapprove of. And lord knows we're at unusual levels.

abbeycat43
on 7/20/13 11:20 am - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

Do you think it might be from this...are you changing your profile?

Once you have changed your goals, do not update any information in your "profile" section, or the custom goals will be defaulted back to the program's goals. You can update your weight in the "progress" section. 

Maybe we should all start sending emails to get them to adapt the program for bariatric patients?

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/13 7:04 am
VSG on 06/10/13

Is exercise changing my levels? They seem back to normal today. I do play with my profile a lot (still trying to figure out how to load pictures) - will watch that. Thanks!

aliekat
on 7/20/13 9:58 pm

thanks much! I have wanted to do this for a while and could not figure it out and i was able to immediately change my goals with your help!

Disclaimer: Although I am a doctor, I do not play one on TV, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.  I've done a lot of additional research on WLS issues but am not qualified to give medical advice over the internet.  I'm happy to share my research with you, but you should see an acting professional if you want real medical advice.enlightened

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 29 views