FRISCO's a GENIUS... And thanks to Kairk too :) Boredom with food??

christinahelena
on 7/26/13 2:00 am, edited 7/26/13 2:46 am - CA

Okay,

So had our monthly meeting last Wed. Where a couple of really great things happened for me. Our RD gave a presentation on imaking home made salad dressings that really allow you to be creative with flavor and are wonderful alternatives to store bought high calorie dressings.

Frisco then made some awesomeness in the form of a Daikon radish and carrot ( thinly julienned on a mandolin slicer) with rice vinegar, garlic and crushed sesame seeds I think (?) and another Daikon radish condiment with soy and an awesome shredded lettuce base with ginger, garlic, sesame... See cafe Frisco for future receipes...

this lettuce was under chicken breast... And it was so delicious  with just a few ingredients!!!

Let me now tie this into Kairk... We had a talk about me losing my last weight and what was stopping me... The few times a week I was engaging in off plan little behaviors that were clearly contributing to slowing my progress... And in some respects more so because they made me feel like a failure, defeated, out of control.....He urged me to find the " why".

well... I have avoided many veggies because they still give me foamies if not careful, even at 9 months out... 

I recognized that sometimes I don't want to be done eating with 5 bites of chicken... I want to eat...We all know that carbs are sliders and we can eat more of them....so, because I sometimes feel like eating, and don't want to get full on 5 bites, and I'm bored with my chicken, fish, shrimp...I have made a somewhat unconscious decision to eat a handful of fish crackers or 5 tortilla chips....leads  wanting more and being pissed at myself for being "weak"...

And I realize I've let my food be very bland and boring!!II am now making a very conscious decision to eat 10 bites of salad instead....the shredded lettuce goes down much better for my tummy... And I  can eat a small soup bowl of it...no foamies, not stuffed...

and I'm adding Friscos awesome flavors to my lettuce... Satisfied! 

At least for now it was the cure. I reach for a small bowl of lettuce with some soy/ ginger/garlic... And I can totally leave the goldfish cracker handful in the bag!!

O, and remember that uncooked ramen noodle chinese chicken salad..pre op?.  ...who knew that adding a splenda or other sweetner to some soy, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger.... Would really help curb a sweet craving....and a pinch of salt, a salt craving at the same time.

sometimes it's not a desire to sabatoge... Simply boredom... And a desire to eat 10 bites of awesome flavor before being full!!

Thanks guys.... You both helped me more than you know!!

Christina

MayPenGirl
on 7/26/13 2:36 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

Thanks for sharing!!

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

theshrinkingmimi
on 7/26/13 2:44 am, edited 7/26/13 2:44 am

Wow. I paid a shrink to tell me that two years ago.  You got it for free. 

When I get in a rut, I cheat. Because I tend to be a black & white/ all or nothing thinker, I can easily slip into extremes.  I would eat super clean to the point of boredom, then cheat.  I have to make it taste good and interesting. I can't eat the same thing for more than two meals in a row. I can't eat the same thing for dinner (lunch) more than two nights (days) in a row.

Congratulations on getting and listening to good free advice.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
christinahelena
on 7/26/13 7:15 am - CA

That's me to a tee...all or nothing.. Not really nothing... But expecting perfection and an overnight end ti my grazing patterns... Instead if figuring how to deal with MY realities with food in the context of heathy low carb eating...

its not a profound realization and yet for me it WAS... Caught up in Shame and self loathing was counterproductive to loving myself to goal....

so... If sometimes I get the muchies... I'm not bad... Hey, if I can stick to lettuce and veggies and not turn tO carbs, I can do this!!!

Thanks!

Christina

Shagdoll
on 7/26/13 3:04 am

There's my gurl Christinahelena!!! 

You've got it right.  And to think I wonder why I am bored with food ... same ol' **** different day. 

I really need to start collecting receipes & making some savory dishes, it cant be all that hard ... single working mom can get the best of me (sigh...)

See ... that is why frisco keeps his weight down & on track because he knows how to cook.  Even I found that out first hand last year with his creation at the NorCal meet-up ...LORD.

I'm going to try to start mixing it up, thanks for the tip my friend!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

christinahelena
on 7/26/13 7:20 am - CA

Jen... Simple right? Plan and then eat to plan... Why do I get stuck trying to just not eat when I'm hungry when all I need is a small salad......

duh?! And Flavor..... Frisco probably though I was a freak going on and in about his salads... But seriously I've been eating everything plain... Taking the keeping it simple too extreme

We can do DO this!! Just realized the OH Conference starts on my one year anniversary if being sleeved... So I really really need to be at goal !!

hugs,

Ps mailing you'd pb matrix sample out today :)

Christina

Miss150
on 7/26/13 3:24 am, edited 7/26/13 10:20 am
Wow- you've. Got me pegged! Sometimes I just want to eat! Enjoy eating...taste favors. This got me in some trouble while on vacation recently... The trick, as you say, is to put the flavor into the good for you stuff and then enjoy it. Time to revise my battlplan. Thanks!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

christinahelena
on 7/26/13 7:21 am - CA

Yes!!! 

Sometimes all it takes is a little shift in perspective!

Christina

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/13 3:31 am

I totally get the not wanting to be finished eating thing. I am hooked on a chopped slaw salad right now that fulfills that need. It's a mix of cucumbers, radishes, celery, carrots, red bell pepper and shredded cabbage. I've been using a lite ranch or blue cheese with it, but now I'm switching out the dressings this week with the three we learned on Wednesday night.

I'm so glad you have been doing some thinking around this issue. Now remember - it's 5 pounds at a time. Little chunks are doable chunks. Don't look at the whole package as that might be too over whelming.

And remember, my PCP mandated last Friday at my annual that I needed to lose 8 pounds, so I'm in the trenches with you!

christinahelena
on 7/26/13 7:25 am - CA

You? 8lbs ?? Okay.... Well your white jeans you were rockin lie then :) but hey, gotta listen to the Pcp I guess! 

Welcome  to the trenches sweetie, I KNOW you got this....

I'm going ti try your salad too! And Eliinas Russian slaw was totally yummy too!!

She has long been a proponent if veggie snacks... 

Im just a slow learner :)

Christina

Most Active