Ladies -- need clothing brand recommendations -- or will soon be forced to join nudist colony!

MuttLover
on 8/2/13 2:55 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Fit has always been a problem for me, but had previously found a few brands that fit my shape (or could be easily altered).  Now, I feel destined to take up residence in a nudist colony!  Imagine a giant Shar Pei walking on two legs, and you kind of get the picture!  LOL!

I'm 5' 7", and the ONLY pants that fit perfectly are Chicos size 3 (almost 2.5) and a Gloria Vanderbilt jean in a size 16W (which are a little lose, so they are not long for this world!)

However, neither of these brands are really pants I can wear to work every day (too casual).  I used to buy Talbots (we are blessed with an Outlet store!), so there's a little potential there in the 14W  - but the stores and outlet don't have any.  When I move into misses sizes (18) the waist comes up to my boobs.  A 16 is just too snug is the hips, and is till too high.  Same with Jones NY.

Overall, I'm finding the women's sizes seems to be more proportional to my size (long torso, short distance from waist to hips and a 31 inch inseam) -- but most brands stop at 16W.  When I move to misses 18s -- I'm back to getting boob support from the waistband of the pants!

Anyone out there with a similar build who has found a brand of business pants that fit?

I'm fine with shirts, since a large or XL in misses fit fine.  And I can find dresses that fit (I just don't wear dresses often!).

Or do I just seam up stuff the best I can in the brands that are close, and hope that future losses are distributed better?

Or should I just heard my saggy Shar Pei buttocks over to the "naturalist" camp, and become accustomed to just letting everything flap in the breeze?  LOL!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

stephanieplum
on 8/2/13 3:17 am, edited 8/2/13 3:18 am
VSG on 06/27/12

I've recently bought Eddie Bauer...they have a couple of fits to try.  I wear the curvy fit.   They have sales right now:)

michellemj
on 8/2/13 3:49 am

Early postop, I did well with Old Navy. They have several fits to choose from and aren't too pricey when they don't have sales. But these days, it seems like there is always a 30% promo running. I bought a pair of black and brown pants and just made them last. Alternatively, try dresses. They do well as you are shrinking and as you get smaller, you can throw a belt on to bring in the waist.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

PrincessPR
on 8/2/13 4:17 am, edited 8/2/13 11:14 am
VSG on 12/17/13
I too have a longer torso and suffer from a condition I affectionately call "Asian flat back" which is to say there isn't much junk in my trunk. I've always done well with Old Navy and Gap. They're owned by the same company but there's a noticeable difference in quality and fit. Both brands tend to run a bit large so you'll probably be in the 14-16 area?? Although I'm about 5' 7" I've found in a few things I've had to get the short or petite as they can be too long but if you wear high heels it might be okay. You may want to check in your area to see if you have a Gap Outlet. I have one and it is much cheaper! I love Gap Outlet!! Hope that helps! Good luck!!!

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

Nancybefree
on 8/2/13 4:32 am
VSG on 11/21/12

No recommendations for you, but I'm watching this thread and grateful that you started it.  For the first time in my life I'm beginning to understand the concept of "pants fitting correctly." 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

ltljennjenn
on 8/2/13 4:44 am

Try Worthington at JC Penney. Great fit and quality and not expensive. I have lots of those and i'm 5'8", love them!

ltljennjennkiss

VSG on 06/12/13
My image consultant just sent me a link to a bunch of killer Talbots sale pants. I am having good luck with Talbots so far. $25 Talbots pants that I should be able to resell in consignment? I'm in.

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/category_landing_galleryview.jsp?id=cat120053&rootCategory=cat400045§ion=Outlet&subCategoryIdUnderSale=cat90028&conceptIdUnderSale=&colorOverride=

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Jackie T.
on 8/2/13 6:30 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Have you tried Christopher & Banks/CJ Banks?  I buy a lot of my clothes at these two stores for work.  They have casual work and dressier work clothes.  Now I am 5'6 and started out at 285lbs in a 22/24 and am now a size 12 at 181 lbs.  They have petite, average and long sizes pants.  Also they have 40-50% sales off quite a bit.  You can get on their email list and also phone list.  They call me every time there is a sale.  the other thing is that if they don't have your size in the right color/size they will order it in the store for you and ship to your house for free. Also check out their clearance racks.   I try shopping at other store but keep coming back to them. 

Anne64
on 8/2/13 7:26 am
VSG on 06/19/13

I am currently finding my salvation in flow-y skirts...they are forgiving and can be worn through quite a bit of weight shift (my hips will be the last to go!)

Anne

HW: 260 SW:233  CW: 159 Pre-surgery loss -27 Month One: -16.5. Month Two: -14.5 Month Three: -14 Month Four: -8  Month Five: -8  Months 6 - 9 total: 17

Keith L.
on 8/2/13 7:34 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I like the nudist colony solution myself. I vote for that. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active