Mexico

freckles3
on 8/5/13 2:35 am - Calgary, Canada

Hello everyone I am planning on going to Mexico to get my sleeve done.  I am from Canada and would like to know what or who people think the best  clinic to go to in Mexico is. I have it down to Dr. Pompa or Dr. Valenzuela.

Any information you can provide is really appreciated.

Thank you

Spencerella
on 8/5/13 2:57 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12
There have been a lot of negative reports on Dr Pompa. She does a very strange hour glass shaped sleeve, which is not as effective as a straight one. I know one patient personally who has to go for revision.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

freckles3
on 8/5/13 3:58 am - Calgary, Canada

Thank you Spencerella, can I ask u did u get your surgery in Mexico?

Spencerella
on 8/5/13 4:38 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I did. Dr Ponce did mine. Hospital practitioner with excellent surgical technique, which is something that is often overlooked when choosing a surgeon. Sleeves can be radically different because the procedure is not standardized. I chose a surgeon who not only provided a good 'experience' but one who also used the most effective surgical technique for long term success. Please PM me if you would like more info on technique and choosing a surgeon. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

rhearob
on 8/5/13 3:40 am - TN

You need to look not just at the surgeons but at their entire aftercare programs and clinics.  There are some true horror stories of patients trapped in post surgical wards unable to get pain meds, nurses and attendants who dont speak english, etc.  Not to mention, as the other poster mentioned, that some of the surgeons do some really strange things.

In this case - cheapest is not always best.  I would encourage you seek out many patients from each surgeon and talk to them.  Its not really all that different from picking any other surgeon.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

claimmaster
on 8/5/13 3:48 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I have nothing but great things to say about my experience in Mexico.  He did a nice tight sleeve and everything went as smoothly as possible.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/13 4:47 am

My response is the same as on the other page.

Pompa does not routinely make the hourglass sleeve, that is merely an accident when that happens and yes, she has had many of her sleeves repaired by other surgeons.  What she does do is make huge sleeves.

You can get far better care for far better prices elsewhere in safer locations.

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/13 7:21 am
Laurie P.
on 8/5/13 7:55 am - Oregon House, CA
VSG on 03/13/08 with

I went to Dr. Alvarez 5 years ago.  It was  a fantastic experience.  I am an RN, and was very pleasantly surprised by how clean everything was.  Way cleaner than any hospital I have ever worked at in the states!!  I felt very well attended to.  At that time only a few of the nurses spoke English, but I am fluent in Spanish so I didn't have any problems.  I think now he has more nurses that speak English.  But I never had to wait for pain meds......it was a VERY positive experience!!!  I would go back to him in a heartbeat.  At the time I had Kaiser.....what little after care I needed was provided by my Kaiser doctor. 

Laurie

pre-op 265  lbs.    day of surgery 252  lbs.     curent 187 lbs.

tiddles
on 8/5/13 10:35 am
VSG on 05/09/13 with

I had Dr Alvarez -As an patient and a nurse I have nothing but wonderful things to say about him. Lovely guy, attentive staff, no complications. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Most Active