chia, hemp, etc

AJPeezy
on 8/9/13 2:53 am - AL
VSG on 01/14/13

any of you guys use these seeds? and if so can you tell me what they are good for? i see a lot of ppl use them in shakes and such

datachick
on 8/9/13 4:10 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I've been using chia seeds for years. Nutritional value like flax but doesn't go rancid like flaxseed does.

You can google the benefits.

I sprinkle a tsp on oatmeal, salad, etc every coupla days. I can't test anything in my body to see if or how they affect me, I just have a hopeful thought that somehow they benefit my health :)

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

katym
on 8/9/13 10:29 pm - PA

Hi,

Chia seeds and hemp have very good nutritional profiles as far as combining fiber, protein, and omega-3 in a natural vegan product. Unfortunately the hemp protein I got at Whole Foods reminds me of grass clippings. However the chia seeds seem much easier to mix into foods with a much subtler taste (think about poppy seeds, you know when they are there but they do not take over a recipe).  In my opinion chia could never be a major protein source but it is a useful additional ingredient. 

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/13 11:31 pm, edited 8/9/13 11:55 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13

i drink 'chia frescas'.  chia gooed up in water with a few slices of lime.  

Chia Fresca

Yield: 2 cups

Ingredients:

• 2 cups water or coconu****er
  • 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice, or to taste
  • Sweetener, to taste 

1. Add chia and water into a jar or glass and stir very well to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to swell up. I like to use a jar with a lid so I can shake it up really well and break up the clumps of chia.

2. Add lime or lemon juice and sweetener to taste. Stir (or shake) well to combine and enjoy!

Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2013/03/01/chia-fresca-a-natural-energ y-drink/#ixzz2bZZPjtol

oh and ps.  LOVE hemp seeds.  awesome protein source and they taste really good.  the ones i eat are very chewy.  i think at first i will try to add a bit of water to them and make a paste.  my manitoba seeds contain 70 cal, 10g protein, 3 carbs (3 fiber), all in three tablespoons.

Most Active