Protein Drink I just found and thought I would put out there ... and a little rant ... lol

Calking
on 8/13/13 3:53 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Anyone that has read my posts over the last year knows that I always promote whey protein isolate over whey protein concentrate.  I have researched protein a lot over this past year and cringe every time I see a post on here about the junk (without a good source of protein in addition to way too many calories to be any good) products that people are falling for. 

Just today there were at least two posts about what I consider to be junk RTD products.  People tend to fall for these because they may taste better than the healthy choices.  Also since they taste good and claim to have protein in them people buy them without really knowing any better.  This post isn't really here to talk about those junk RTD products that far too many of you have fallen for but instead to let you know about another possible choice that looks really good and appears to meet my criteria for a great source for protein.

The company is called Spartos and they make a ...

Spartos 
Sugar Free Protein Water

• Balance
  • Recover - 10 grams of whey protein isolate, calcium, and magnesium help you recover quickly.
  • Focus - Protein and the glutamate improve alertness and focus.
  • Purify - Spartos contains important prebiotics that help purify your system.
  • Hydrate - Each bottle of Spartos contains 15 ounces of pure water.
  • Vitalize - Protein is a building block of life. It is a part of every cell in the body and essential for reaching your maximum potential physically and mentally.
  • Refresh - Protein isn't just for building strong muscle, it is important for making the body strong internally too.
  • Strengthen - Spartos contains all 4 major electrolytes: sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium to help you feel great.
  • Cleanse - Cystine, a powerful amino acid in Spartos helps cleanse your system.

Spartos Sugar Free Protein Water is balanced with water, protein, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and antioxidants. Spartos provides these essential macro and micronutrients to keep your body in balance.

This appears to come in a few different flavors such as: Grape and Lemonade; Jackfruit and Watermelon; and Strawberry and Coconut.  I didn't do any further research into what other flavors they may have.  

The nutritional info for this product per 16 oz bottle is as follows ...

Calories: 40   Fat: 0   Carbs: 0   Protein: 10 grams

Ingredients: DEIONIZED WATER, WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE, NATURAL FLAVORS, VEGETABLE JUICE (COLOR), SWEETLEAF® STEVIA, PHOSPHORIC ACID, CALCIUM LACTATE, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN A (PALMITATE), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN D3, VITAMIN E, VITAMIN B12.

I do like that there are no artificial flavors or sweeteners in this product.  It is very low calorie and may just be that something that many of you are looking for in a protein drink.

I will say that I have no affiliation with this company and I am only interested in letting others know about this product that is new to me.  I have not personally tried any of these things as they are a little out of my price range as I am currently extremely underemployed to a point you may as well call it unemployed.

Here is a link for a website that sells this product.  I would bet Amazon.com has it as well as a few other websites.  I simply have not checked that out at this time.

http://www6.netrition.com/spartos_sf_protein_water.html#NUTF ACTS

I have given up on responding to posts about protein because I have seen so many that are so bad in information that it makes me feel sick how people get fooled into a product based on it's tasting good regardless of how insufficient the protein is in those drinks.  I would be willing to bet that some of the people here that are slower in loosing weight are that way because of their choice of protein drinks and the fact that they aren't really getting as much protein as they think they are.  

If anyone wants to talk with me about my rant on the protein and people just buying the junk RTD products (I am sure that not all RTD products are junk ... a lot of them are though) because they taste good instead of because they are healthy for us, please feel free to PM me.  I don't wish to get into another long back and forth discussion within this post.  

But anyway I hope that this will help some of you and if my opening and closing paragraphs scared you off I apologize for that. 

If nothing else please take away that there is a product out there that may be exactly what some of you are searching for.  It seems to fit two things we all are trying to accomplish especially early on.  It is two cups of water per bottle and a source of protein.  How can you beat that?

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

VSG on 06/12/13
Thanks for this. Hubby and I are looking for a low/no carb protein drink that does not have a lot of extra garbage in it, and is also low in sodium. It looks like this could work! Do you know how it tastes?

And, I too am appalled at some of these RTD products. I have some samples made by Nestle from the doc - reading the label, there is all KINDS of crap in them. I am not drinking that! i have detoxed from that garbage - not in a hurry to go back. One I saw at a bariatric vendor fair (a big name drink that I can't remember right now) even has HFCS in it!

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Keith L.
on 8/13/13 10:18 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Check out bodybuilding.com, great prices and a huge selection. I like the AST VP2 chocolate. Great profile, low carb, low cal, and tastes really good. They have ratings for taste and quality on all their products so finding a brand/flavor that is right for you is easy.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

dot4you
on 8/14/13 2:47 am - CA

Hi Keith...sorry to hijack this post...just had a quick question for you. I'm doing a lot of walking with hills outside with the dogs (they need a workout too). About 3 miles 4 days a week. I want to drop weight. I can do a little (another 1-2 miles) running on the treadmill more like walk/run to get the cardio going. I'm using Sythna-6 protein isolate and I love it. It tastes great and it's low in carbs/ high in protein. Do you know if this protein the best way to go to drop the weight? And do you know anything about this protein? Thanks for the advice...

Keith L.
on 8/14/13 5:51 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You are perfect on the exercise, that is the best way to burn fat, so keep it up. If you do add in some more high intensity cardio, consider doing intervals, so maybe 2 mins walking at a pretty steep incline, then 30 seconds of sprinting flat at a higher speed. The idea is to force your heart rate to spike and then bring it back down. Repeat this for the time/distance you are looking for. You will be shocked at how much more you sweat with intervals. My current interval routine starts with a 5 min walk, 30 second sprint, 3 minute jog, 30 second sprint, 1 minute walk. Repeat starting with the first 30 second sprint. I am soaking wet when I finish just 20 mins of that.

OK, so on to the protein. I have tried the Syntha-6 and thought it was a bit too high in carbs for me. Now if I were going to use Syntha-6 I would save it for after a workout. Its better to have protein with some carbs after a workout because the sugars help to shuttle the protein to your muscles and rebuild glycogen in your muscles, which also helps to keep you from getting sore after a workout. Also its a bit high in calories. Now this is considering if you want to stick to a 600-800 calorie/day diet. They Syntha-6 1 scoop is 200 calories so that is 1/3 - 1/4 of your total caloric intake for a day. So in the Syntha-6 (I looked at the chocolate) you have 200/calories, 15g of carbs, 22g of protein. The AST VP2 that I use is 1 scoop is 100 calories, 1.5 grams of carbs, and 23.5g of protein. So for 100 less calories I get a bit more protein and 13.5 less carbs. When you are trying to stay below 40g of carbs, that's a pretty big savings. All of that being said, the Syntha-6 is a great protein and yes you will lose weight with it. Taste is very important and finding a protein you like and can live with is also important. So if you like it, keep using it. Bodybuilding.com has the 3lb tub for $30 right now, plus some sort of buy 2 get 1 kind of deal.  You just need to keep in mind that fitting whatever you choose into your plan is important. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

dot4you
on 8/14/13 2:35 pm - CA

Thanks very much for the great info! I will push myself on the intervals...and the incline too. I know I can get a little more "uncomfortable" (push harder) & that's what gets the lbs off.

Sorry I wasn't totally clear, I'm  using the protein Isolate right now not the reg protein...so the carbs are nice and low...but I could wait & drink it after my workout and see how that feels... I just wasn't sure if it was a good brand of protein. It tastes so good I thought something has to be wrong with it!! I also drink it for breakfast then push the water until 10 or 11am...snack, lunch, snack, dinner, another diet hot coco w/ protein isolate, that helps with the evening cravings.

Tomorrow I'll drink the protein after my workout & see how I feel... thanks again!!

The_True_KayD
on 8/13/13 10:45 pm

Thanks for the information. I am pre-op but want to find the best possible sources of protein. Amazon has it . I added it to my wish list so that I will have the name of it. I will price shop when the time comes. 

Lana13
on 8/13/13 11:46 pm

Thank you vets, your advise is invaluable!!  My two cents and it has been posted a lot is don't invest in large quantities of any food/drink item pre-op.  It is crazy how your taste buds change!  For example I find almost all protein drinks/water flavouring way too sweet now (three weeks post-op) and must dilute everything. 

I really enjoy the posts that make me more away of what is in my choices and have learned a great deal of what to look for!  I look forward to learning more! 

I will be checking out these RTD as a means to get more protein in I'm still low!

BTW, I tried the Ricotta Bake last night...yummmm best thing ever (especially after clear liquid/liquid for three weeks!)

Cheers

Lana

linzeelee
on 8/14/13 2:24 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Thanks for the info! I am careful about my protein sources too. I have friends, as well as my boyfriend, who send me info about every protein drink they see that sounds good. Upon further inspection, it seems they are always they are either collagen protein or concentrate.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Lisa1023
on 8/14/13 2:52 am
VSG on 03/05/13

interesting.  now i'm curious if my beloved Matrix Syntrax Mint Cookie is on the junk list.  I will check out the label after work, lol.  i thought protein powder was protein powder.  hmmm

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

Most Active