Pain on right side...

princesswimmer24
on 8/16/13 1:49 pm - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

I am 11 days postop and have had a tough journey filled with lots of pain, a period from hell and issues with liquids/nausea. Since the moment I woke up I have had pretty intense pain on the right side. The incision there has been swollen since day 1, it has gone down some though. Prior to surgery we were told that the majority of patients experience pain on the left side, where the larger incision is, and that is what I have read on here as well. Most people that have pain, complain of left side pain. Is there any reason I should be concerned that mine hurts on the right. I have no pain on the left at all. I have been unable to lay down flat since surgery as well. I have been stuck in my recliner for 9 days now and I'm actually jealous of anyone that gets to sleep on a mattress lol I have dreams of sleeping on a mattress! We have tested it out a few times, but to no avail. We have tried pillows, tons of pillows and I am fine for about 20-30mins and then the pain starts in on the right side and it's almost impossible for me to get back up. I tried to move today while hubby was on phone and I'm sure they thought he was trying to kill me with all the screaming. It kind of felt like my belly button was being ripped open, which I thought was odd as well since I don't have an incision there. I know my last couple of posts have been whiney and I apologize, I honestly didn't prepare myself for this many obstacles especially after watching a friend and hubby breeze right through like nothing happened to them. I do know that I am getting better every day, but it feels like I'm progressing in millimeters instead of inches like everyone else. I never in a million years thought that I would still be on pain meds and unable to leave my house 11 days postop. So basically I think I buried the question someone in my babbling, but has anyone else experienced right side pain as opposed to left side pain postop?

rengirl1978
on 8/16/13 1:52 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I am so sorry you are still in so much pain! Just goes to show how different we all are. I would be jealous of hubby and friend too! Have you tried heating pad? What does the surgeon have to say about it? i wish i could offer advice, but I am pre-op. Hang in there and keep us posted!

~Rhiannon

benevola
on 8/16/13 2:07 pm - Des Moines, WA
VSG on 07/17/13

I also had almost no pain on the left side, but terrible pain on the right side. When I mentioned it to the surgeon at my 2 week followup visit, he raised his eyebrows but didn't seem overly concerned. He poked around on my belly and examined my incisions and said everything looked great. I think I slept in the recliner for 2 weeks. 

However, if you are concerned, you should call your surgeon's office and see what they say. I'm only a month out myself, but I remember how hard those first few weeks can be. Don't give up hope and just remember that it really does get better. 

princesswimmer24
on 8/16/13 2:12 pm - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Thank You! I am just relieved to hear that I'm not completely abnormal and you know what I am going through. I see my surgeon on Wed for my 2wk/postop and I will mention it to him. The surgical team that worked with me in the hospital seemed intrigued with the pain and swelling on the right, but not worried.

Machelle.K
on 8/16/13 2:55 pm - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I too had pain on the right but not explainable. The left was good so I sleep on my left side with pillows to support front and back. hang in there and keep walking and drinking water...

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

bhern
on 8/16/13 3:17 pm
DS on 01/21/14

I was told during my pre-op classes that VSG patients will experience pain on the right side and RNY patients get pains on the left. This has been my own experience as well, pain on the right side for the first few weeks. Give it time and keep on walking, it will subside eventually. As always if the pain persists call your doctor.

Good luck!

HW 407 * SW 359 * TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS-TO-DATE.... 

Tracy D.
on 8/17/13 12:09 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
Yes, I did. Your liver is on the right side and they put in a large reteactor to pull it out of the way. I was sore for over a week. However, I think your level of pain is not normal. Please call your doctor.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/13 2:03 am

All of my pain is on my right side, I'm 9 days out and I still have alot of pain when I get out of bed and when standing. It's been a strange recovery for me, my pain will be bearable for awhile and I'll get out and walk then all of the sudden I can barely take another step without my large incision on the right of my stomach screaming in agony. This happened to me when I took my son clothes shopping yesterday at the mall. I try to take the advice of others here who say walk, walk, walk but I'm not sure if I'm overdoing it or what. I hope you feel better soon!

movis
on 8/17/13 2:50 am
VSG on 07/16/13

Most of my pain was on the right and I slept in the recliner for 2 weeks. I stayed on lortab for over 2 weeks.  Mine was more of an intense burning sensation and the lower angle of the recliner was much better than the bed.

hope you get better soon!

princesswimmer24
on 8/17/13 4:38 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Thanks Ya'll!! It's always nice to know that I'm not alone. My pain comes and goes a lot of time as well. One minute I'm fine and able to walk around and the next I can barely walk at all. It definitely is better than last week, I guess I'm just in a hurry to feel somewhat normal again.

Most Active