Sleeve scheduled 9/5/13 asking for help!

Mxbomb
on 8/21/13 12:49 am

I have been back and forth on what operation to get, I chose the sleeve but am second guessing myself. I have until Monday to get it changed,  I'm a big guy who does love carbs and sweets, 32 years old with a sedentary job, my surgeon mainly does a lot of gastric bypass and thinks its the right option for me, but says he will give me the sleeve if that's what I want, I've seen so many people I know that have had the bypass that  just look gaunt and not healthy long term,and Ive seen some people that look good as well, and im worried with the malabsorption though It will help me lose weight faster is going to giving my problems long term. [ulcers,blockages,etc]. Starting this journey at a all time high of 384 lbs, looking to lose 184 lbs, Ive seen many others lose that amount with sleeves. Seems to me the sleeve is going to be the surgery of the future, I don't know for sure what the right choice for me is, I have been pretty athletic most of my life till the last couple of years when the last 80 lbs came on it really slowed me down.

Any advice in helping me make a good decision would be greatly appreciated, I've done countless research on forums and am on the fence about which surgery I should have, thanks.

mickeymantle
on 8/21/13 1:30 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my surgeon prefers to do the sleeve on heavy weight , he feels it is a safer surgery,the newest studies so about the same weight loss just slightly slower , my diabetes is much better since my sleeve, im only on 1 pill instead od pills and shots

if you have back and knee problems now they will be worse when you get older and you may need nsaid pain killers which are a no no with rny , with ether surgery you will need to watch what you eat and get off you butt and exercise 

I love my sleeve , I ate steak for diner last night for the first time since my new life started 3.19 oz and I was full most of the night after that

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Mxbomb
on 8/21/13 1:41 am

Thanks for the reply.

I will probably have to rely on nsaids later on in life as I used to race moto x and have broken a lot of bones and have had numerous injuries that are starting to ache already, even more so with the recent weight gain.

Thanks

Nancybefree
on 8/21/13 2:05 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I'm a 55yo menopausal female, which usually makes significant weight loss terribly difficult.  You can see from my stats below that being sleeved is working for me, ***BUT*** that's because I committed to the essential lifestyle change that goes with it, i.e. eating what I'm supposed to eat, in the quantities in which I'm supposed to eat it, taking my vitamins and supplements faithfully, and keeping my hydration and exercise where they need to be.  There things I don't eat anymore which I never plan to eat again, mostly those dreaded carbs. 

As far as looking gaunt is concerned, that can happen after a significant weight loss.  I think the younger one is, the better chance that they won't look so bad at goal.

Be certain that you are ready to commit to the lifestyle as well as to the surgery, regardless of which you choose.  If you don't, you probably won't be as pleased with your results. 

I wish you well with your decision and with your journey. FWIW, I decided on the sleeve because I didn't want my digestive tract rearranged.  Losing +/- 80% of my stoma*****luding what I understand to be the major hunger-hormone-producing bit -- was drastic enough.  I am also still raising kids at my age and wanted as small an impact on their lives as possible from what I needed to do for myself postop and beyond.  So far, so good on all counts. Chances are better now that I'll stick around on this earth at least until they are both grown.  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

rengirl1978
on 8/21/13 2:08 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

The nurse at my surgeons office was really pushing the bypass on me, citing that the weight comes off "so much faster" but I am not looking for a "fast" weight loss! I am looking for a healthy and long term weight loss. So even if it takes years to reach my goal, that's fine with me! I am in no hurry, ya know?! My point is, if YOU feel that the sleeve is the right choice for you, then you need to do that. I also do not like the idea of malabsorption. It just doesn't sound healthy! I also take meds for bipolar that I NEED to be able to absorb. All in all, it comes down to what YOU want for YOURSELF! Don't let anyone talk you into something you do not want to do. Good luck!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

Keith L.
on 8/21/13 2:11 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

That is exactly where I started I am 11 months post-op at 213 this morning and still losing. I have a sedentary job. I expect to reach my goal at about 13 months. My goal is 184 as well. However that still keeps me in the overweight BMI category so I may revise that and lose another 12 lbs once I get there.

Any WLS is just a tool, its up to you how to use it. Do not rely on it for your weight loss, only rely on it to enforce portion control. There are many ways to cheat every WLS. If you sit around and eat ice cream and never exercise you will lose 20-30lbs and be done. I know a guy who had the full RNY at 500lbs lost 125lbs and has gained most of it back because he eats chips and crackers literally all day long because "beef and chicken make me feel sick". 

The one thing that you said that concerns me is that you "love carbs and sweets". If you can't learn to love something else (like yourself) more, then you will not succeed regardless of which surgery you have. You have to take this journey with a lifestyle change as your goal, not losing weight. This is not a sprint such that in 1 year you will look hot and get girls, blah blah blah. This is an opportunity for you to get fit and healthy and change your life. You have a sedentary job, what are you going to do when you leave your job at the end of the day? If you go home and sit on the couch...FAIL! If you expect your WLS to do the work and you are going to blame your surgeon or nutritionist when the weight doesn't come off...FAIL!. If you think just a few carbs today won't hurt you...FAIL! 

If you fully commit to the process, trust that it will work. Stick to your food plan, exercise regularly and smartly, listen to other for advice, reach out to others when you need help. Walk away from that bite of birthday cake on YOUR birthday...SUCCESS! If you blame yourself when you slip up and get back on track the minute you are done...SUCCESSS If you hold yourself accountable when you do not meet a goal, but keep moving toward it anyway...SUCCESS! If you get back on your bike when you fall off...SUCCESS!

This is all up to you and honestly it does not matter which WLS you get, its all how you use your tool. I can give you many many many things that will help guide you to success, but YOU have to do them.

That being said I think in the long run you will be much happier with the VSG and if you ever really need to go the full bypass route you can always get a duenedal switch later.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/13 2:13 am, edited 8/21/13 2:15 am - Hermosa Beach, CA

I was 347 and I've lost 155 in 21 months, 120 in the first 12. I decided that:

1) I did not want t risk vitamin deficiencies for the rest of my life.

2) I did not want to go through the process of having malabsorbtion end at some point.

3) I wanted my stomach to work like a regular stomach and not have the same risk of dumping syndrome.

4) I wanted reduced ghrelin levels to help with my constant hunger.

5) Finally, wanted to to look healthy and just a lot skinnier.  There is a look to bypass patients in my opinion, and many of them look as if they lost weight because they are sick -- they just look a little hollow.

For me the sleeve worked out great.  I did exercise and found a way to control my desire for trigger foods.  If you really think that you can't alter your lifestyle in any way, then maybe the bypass is the way to go. Still, given all of my considerations, the sleeve was the only alternative I was willing to consider.

Mxbomb
on 8/21/13 2:39 am

All I can is WOW guys! thank you so much for your insight, you have given me so much more valuable advice then I have gotten from some people. I know, and have to keep reminding myself this surgery is a tool and not a automatic "get out of jail free card from obesity" lol. It is really good to hear from people that where close to my starting weight and have achieved there weight loss goals,

Question though; do you find the reduction of hunger (lack of ghrenlin) make it easier to make better food decisions?

Christina D.
on 8/21/13 3:46 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Yes. I have much better control due to #1 the restriction and #2 general lack of hunger or cravings. Typically, if I really want something I'll have a bite and then I'm over it. It was never like that before.

Height: 5'4" Current Weight & BMI: 125.2/21.5 Lowest Weight/BMI: 125.2/21.5

Lap Band: 8/13/09 Pre-Op Weight: 245  Weight Lost: 55-60 lbs, band removed 8/2011

Revised to VSG: 8/16/12 Pre-OpWeight: 236 Weight Lost: 110.8 lbs EWL:  121%

Weight Goals: 145 lbs (normal BMI) in 32 weeks. 135 lbs in 37 weeks. 130 lbs in 45 weeks. Fitness Goals: 5 K -- 4 completed in 2013! 10k -- 1 completed 2013! Half marathon -- 3 planned for Spring 2014.

Plastic Surgery: LBL, BA/BL done by Dr. J Barnthouse  9/13.     

Quote: If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging! ~Will Rogers

Nancybefree
on 8/21/13 4:10 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Yes, it does, but at exactly nine months out today I can tell you that it starts to fade a bit as you go along.  Seasoned vets will tell you that it fades even more than that, but for some people it lingers well.  That's why you need to commit to your postop plan and practice practice practice while you're still early out so that those habits are ingrained.  I'm down to my last 20 now -- I think -- and they are not going easily, even though I have not wavered from my plan. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views