Hair Loss - Hair Recovery

Christine Heusinger
on 9/3/13 1:09 am - GA

Just a little pep talk for those of you who are experiencing hair loss.

I was very dismayed about 3 months ago and was getting down in the dumps due to my hair loss.

My surgeon told me I had to be more aware of my protein intake and to drink a shake if I'm not able to get my 60 grams just with my food intake.,

Then my hair dresser (who had had the surgery a year prior) suggested that I double my multi-vitamin.

Between the added protein and the added multi-vitamin I am happy to report that my scalp is filling out again and I think it's back to normal!

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

grayC
on 9/3/13 1:17 am
VSG on 05/01/13
Thank you that gives me hope!!
I always get at least 80 grams of protein
But I'll be sure to double up on the vitamins...

chead81
on 9/3/13 1:18 am - IL
VSG on 09/11/13

good news. I am having surgery on sept. 11th and i this was one of my biggest concerns. i know it sounds stupid but i lost a lot of hair when i was preggo with my kids so it is already thin. Good to know from someone who experienced it that it will come back. :)

Christine Heusinger
on 9/3/13 1:46 am - GA

I found that I was getting lazy with my protein and not paying enough attention to it... plus I had stopped tracking my food. 

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/3/13 2:01 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I will second that. I have been really vigilant on the protein and vites and have not lost a strand of hair so far.. 11 months out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Tracy D.
on 9/3/13 2:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I am one of those that has been getting at least 80 grams of protein from the beginning plus taking a multi-vitamin twice a day and I started losing hair at 1 month out...and it's still coming out.  My hair guy says it will probably take a good 9-12 months for it to all come back.   And I didn't have that much to start with! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

AnnieinIA
on 9/3/13 2:29 am
I am like Tracy, but started with lots of hair. My protein was very high and i was vigilant about double vitamins. It came out so very, very badly. My hairdresser (who has had other surgery clients) said he had never seen anything like it.

I am almost a year post op and it is very much better. However, full recovery is about a year away.

Honestly, I think it's the luck of the draw, as our experiences with this issue are so varied.

A
Melody2
on 9/3/13 7:15 am
VSG on 04/10/13

Thank you for bringing up the topic.  I know it's in the FAQs but my gosh.... the hair loss has been worse than expected at 5 months out.  I'm to point that I'm afraid to comb or wash my hair.  My hair has always been so thick and now....I see thin spots.  Even my husband has commented and he never notices anything.  I've tried everything...vitamins...special shampoo...more protein..water.  I'm hoping it will eventually taper off.

serenity1959
on 9/3/13 9:29 am
VSG on 08/05/13

My required vits from my surgeon include two multi vitamins a day and well as zinc every three days.

HW 275  SW 266

A. Kondrlik
on 9/3/13 11:43 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I started losing hair in clumps at 3 to 4 months out, I am 7 1/2 months now and it has slowed.  I started out with really thick hair, so you couldn't tell by looking at me, but I could certainly tell,  I have always daily met my protein goals, and far exceeded them many days, I took very expensive high potency bariatric vitamins and took biotin.  I feel that some are lucky and don't lose hair, and others just do.  The biotin does not stop hair loss, but it is supposed to help with regrowth.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active