My sleeve doesn't work....at least not as well as everyone else's :(

Maggie73
on 9/4/13 5:22 am, edited 9/4/13 5:25 am - Burleson, TX
VSG on 07/22/13

I am 6 weeks out and I am only down about 28.9 pounds since my surgery date...according to my scale at home. (I lost 7.7 pounds before surgery).

I am getting my water in, keeping my carbs under 30 most of the time and getting 60+ protein in a day....I follow what I am supposed to be eating, according to my doctor too. I had a cookie once...but that was once.

Yes, 28.9 pounds in six weeks is great, but I see where others are and the weight just isn't coming off like it is for everyone else.

In my head, even if I was eating whatever I wanted, I should still be losing like crazy seeing as I am eating 600 calories a day vs. the 6000+ a day I was eating before....but I am watching what I eat.

Does this just not work for some people?

~ Maggie  (Age: 40  Height: 5'7")    

SURGERY DATE: 7/22/2013

START: 254.6 - SURGERY: 246.4 - GOAL: 160 - CURRENT: 155  

Keith L.
on 9/4/13 5:27 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I find it very sad that you think its not working. First of all everyone is different. 17lbs is nothing to sneeze at. It takes time, you are not even finished healing yet and at 6 weeks you are probably just now cleared for exercise. It also depends on how much you have to lose. When I first started this journey I had 1 week where I lost 22lbs now that I am within 30lbs of my goal, i haven't lost 22 lbs in the past month. So your body changes the more you lose. You are also at a point in the journey where your body is finally healing (you have about another 2 weeks or so) and it is adjusting to everything. Your metabolism has gone through a massive change in the past couple of weeks and you just need to find the things that work for you.

Trust me 17lbs means its working just fine. Stay away from the damn cookies! Your protein could be a little higher too. Also what does getting your water in mean? 64 oz is the MINIMUM, you really need to be more like 80 to 100oz then you are getting your water in. Also are you walking? the best fat burning exercise you could as for is a brisk walk for 30-60mins a day.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Maggie73
on 9/4/13 5:32 am, edited 9/4/13 5:33 am - Burleson, TX
VSG on 07/22/13

The weight calculation was off, so I guess I am doing a bit better than I thought, but still not what I thought, I guess.

I am trying to up my protien....truthfully, I just graduated to soft foods (from pureed) and I am trying to figure out what I should eat....I really don't want any more food. I am getting about 84 oz on most days....sometimes more sometimes less, but never under 72, I don't think. I walk for about 30-45 min a day at lunch when I am at work. That's about all the time I have, since I work fulltime then go to school afterwards. I try to get active on weekends though. I haven't been cleared for anything but walking and I am still on a lift restriction. I see the doc on Friday.

~ Maggie  (Age: 40  Height: 5'7")    

SURGERY DATE: 7/22/2013

START: 254.6 - SURGERY: 246.4 - GOAL: 160 - CURRENT: 155  

Keith L.
on 9/4/13 9:14 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
You are doing just fine then until you get to full foods you don't know how fast or slow you really lose because liquid phase and soft phase still includes a lot of hidden carbs. The real game doesn't start until you get to full foods. Then you will really know.

Also with the sitting you do at work and school you will likely be a slower loser. 45 mins of walking is good but at some point you will want to add some strength training in too. That is what is necessary to amp up the calorie burn. Plan on doing body weight exercises and if you can fit it in in the future some weight training.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

lil1inside
on 9/4/13 5:29 am
VSG on 07/10/13

WOW Maggie you are getting so close to being under the 200 mark.  That day for me will be the best day in my life!!!!  Don't give up now, it will happen, some people are slower losers than others, don't give up hope.  From what I hear also it can depend on what medicines you have to take.  Are you remembering not to drink 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after a meal--I think that is so important!  We'll get there Maggie and we can celebrate together getting under the 200 lb mark!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

acbbrown
on 9/4/13 5:37 am - Granada Hills, CA

One of the biggest newbie mistakes is comparing yourself to anyone else. Period. Every body is different. your organs are different, your metabolism is different - every single person will have a different journey. It's not fair to say "look at her - she lost more". Maybe she weighs more, has a higher metabolism, has more lean muscle mass, exercises more, etc..

There's one easy way to do this - follow your plan, have faith, and enjoy the journey. When you let your mind start obsessing over every little lb, you will be miserable and honestly, that is going to lead to an increased possibility of giving into temptation, and straying from your plan out of frustration.

My therapist is forcing me to be more optimistic. I suck at it. But I can tell you it makes a huge difference. Every day i have to write something down that is positive - something I did well, something I improved at, something I enjoyed. Give it a try and keep the list somewhere where you can see it everyday and see everything you keep adding to it.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/13 5:56 am

Great advice!

gorditabonita
on 9/4/13 12:52 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

Absolutely LOVED your post....it's 100% true.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

abbyluwho
on 9/4/13 5:56 am - kc, MO
VSG on 06/25/13 with

Success is 75% (if not more!) attitude! 

My surgery weight was 227,  and I am 10 weeks out, now at 197.  It's slow, but it comes off, and I know it will come off.  I think it is slower to come off in those of us deemed "light weights".  It took me a little while to figure that out, and to remind myself that every body literally is different. 

Sandy M.
on 9/4/13 6:01 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Oh my goodness Maggie - stop comparing yourself to ANYONE!  You have done awesome!  You can't compare yourself to someone that might have started at a weight twice as high as you, or a different gender than you, or really, anyone else.  If you continue to think this way, you're sure to find ways to start sabotaging your progress, so STOP IT NOW!

It works if you work it, period.  The surgery was only a small part of this - you need to start taking stock of your success, and start planning for the future.  When's the last time you measured yourself?  How about signing up for a 5k in a couple of months and start training for it (if you're able, of course).  

A little depression around this time is perfectly normal, but girlfriend, your weight loss is nothing to be depressed about!  Now get up and go for a walk!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Most Active